The Boat Race 2007

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Sarastro, Apr 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Cambridge win by 1 1/4 lengths...bloody tabs!

Was a good fight, saw it cycling alongside from Hammersmith Bridge. Oxford took the lead early against the odds, and were inching ahead for the first two miles, got to about half a length in front, but couldn't quite take the advantage of Surrey station and make clear water.

To their credit, Cambridge kept pace very well, then showed their stamina in the last half of the race, gradually pulling ahead and wearing Oxford down. Once the crews turned into the last bend and Cambridge got the advantage of Middlesex, it was all over.

Light Blues have their first win for three years.

I'm the only one on the forums who gives a toss, right?
  2. I bet half these chaps only got into Oxbridge due to their rowing prowess.
  3. You seem to be the only one who gives a toss lol.
  4. how come it's the same teams in the final year after year, come on uni's there must be someone out there who can beat these posh cads to the final. Wouldn't it be great to to see Trent Poly taking the Chequered Flag.
  5. Sarastro

Tell you what though, you have to respect how fit those guys are. 4 1/2 miles on water (generally much slower than on land) in 17-19 minutes; to keep up running, you'd have to do 4 minute miles for the distance, and even cycling (I work as a bike messenger, so not exactly slow on wheels) I had to sprint for parts to keep pace.

Also in rowing terms, it's 4-5 times the distance of most Olympic races, and they don't go that much slower than the pros.

PS Taz, I know enough people who got into Oxbridge on much shakier grounds, I'm sure 4 oarsmen doing the same isn't going to bring the system crashing down. Also, check out the list of PhD's etc in the crews, and very few in Sports Science!
  6. Nope - good race, nice to see the best team win on the day.

7. Sarastro

Have to admit it, Cambridge had the legs for the long run.

But Oxford still put up a hell of a fight considering they were widely considered the underdogs.

8. Nope, home team came second, b*gger... Still, always next year and its a good tradition, one that so far Blair and that other **** Brown havent managed to destroy yet, long may it continue.
  9. That was a good race today, well done to Cambridge.

Ive got a mate who put a bet on the light blues winning by 2 lengths.

Ouch, thats tonights beer money gone!!
  10. Sarastro

Can't quite work out whether this is a joke (if so vg gold star), but just in know it's not University Rowing Challenge, right? There are no heats, no finals, it's only ever one race, only Oxford vs Cambridge. Y'know, a tradition.

(Tradition: Trah-DIH-shun: def. something we used to have in Britain)
  11. just out of interest........any army rowers here?

I'm a rower and planning on joining, just wondering what rowing is like in the easy is it row etc.

I'm aware that the Army RC are very sucessful, many Henley wins and finals, top pair very highly ranked in the GB squad and top 20 in the HORR. Just wondered when they get a chance to train etc.

Is there rowing at sandhurst?