The Blackburn Walt Jihadists

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dangerousdave, Mar 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I bet the judge couldn't help but laugh :wink:

Two brothers who called themselves 'The Blackburn Resistance' and filmed al-Qaeda style propaganda in a park have been convicted of terrorist offences.

Abbas Iqbal, 24, gathered a stockpile of weapons at the family home in Blackburn, while his brother, Ilyas, 23, studied and compiled information on guerrilla warfare.

Abbas was found guilty of dissemination of terrorist publications and preparing for acts of terrorism, while Ilyas was convicted of possession of a document likely to be useful to a terrorist.

A third man, Muhammad Ahmad, 26, was cleared of preparing for an act of terrorism.

Abbas was sentenced to two years in jail for dissemination of terrorist material and one year for preparation for acts of terrorism, to run concurrently.

He has already served two and a half years on remand and will be released shortly.

Ilyas was sentenced to 18 months for possession of a document likely to be useful to a terrorist but was released immediately as he too had spent two and a half years on remand.
    Passing sentence, Judge Andrew Gilbert QC said: "You fancied yourself as a fighter for the cause, but the truth is you were a very low-grade one.

"It would be wrong to pass a long sentence on someone who is obviously more taken with the vanity than the reality."
  2. stockpiled weapons? Could have been serious if they went "mumbai"

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

I wonder if the judge will still be laughing if it turns out he's inadvertently motivated this individual to be more than just a walt.
  4. Watch the video clips on the Sky news report and you'll see how ridiculous these clowns are :lol:

p.s... it does not confirm the weapons were live firearms, so i presume they are replicas, due to the fact they were not convicted of any firearm offences from the news report?
  5. Now that Ive watched said videos Im enclined to agree... flipping space cadets!
    Must have been replicas and blades.
  6. I liked their choice of dress for court - they looked like they were attending an Osama Bin Laden look a like convention :lol:
  7. teehee the video is a giggle

I remember seeing similar IRA 'training' footage - I think it's a mistake to write them off; they're ignorant and untrained but that doesn't necessarily mean that they're lacking in commitment or wouldn't be dangerous with someone with a bit of nous to direct them. At the very least they seem stupid enough to be talked into something if the talker was smart enough.
  9. Granted, never say never etc etc but they really don't strike me as the sort that could get through basic. Maybe the white lad might. Just my impressions.

But then strapping the world's supply of explosive to yourself with the intent to detonate is not a rational or intelligent act.
  11. No no you do not read me. I'm guessing (I admit) from body language and a myriad of other nebulous metaphysical factors that the mongs in the video probably lack the mettle and fortitude to even make it past grooming to implementation, bar perhaps the white one.

Fair enough but my point is that we'd be foolish to test it. Sooner or later we will be proved wrong.
  13. With mongs like that we won't have to. They test themselves and fail by doing precisely what they just did.

Let's agree to disagree - I'm not laughing and I think these guys should be slammed and slammed hard.
  15. Or is just me who was reminded of....

But..... real firearms aren't THAT hard to get hold of, and it doesn't take too much nous to be able to say 'See you at Bluewater at 3, wear a burkha'. Dunblane and Hungerford were the actions of single 'unhinged' characters, a few nutcases with black market MACs could seriously screw up everyone's morning.