The Blackburn Buccaneer

What did the Bucc have that the Tornado didn’t have that resulted in the combo in the Gulf?
Target illumination ?!

Eventually they realised that Buccaneer could carry the ordnance, as well as, the target illumination, all at the same time, and flew Buccaneer only strikes.

I read a definitive book on the Buccaneer . . . I'm an "expert" ;) !!

Last edited:

tiv

LE
Eventually they realised that Buccaneer could carry the ordnance, as well as, the target illumination, all at the same time, and flew Buccaneer only strikes.

I read a definitive book on the Buccaneer . . . I'm an "expert" ;) !!
Actually the Buccaneers were originally carrying Sidewinders for self defence which precluded the carrying of LGBs. Once it was realised there was no need for them LGBs replaced the Sidewinders and, having designated for the Tornados, they then did their own attacks.

Their was said to be a video of the Buccaneers 'visiting' Beirut during Operation Pulsator.
I remember seeing this news item and have spent awhile looking for it as well, however to no avail..... Anyhone had any luck finding it. Found a link to Getty Images mentioning this, but to get in there is tricky.....

I remember seeing this news item and have spent awhile looking for it as well, however to no avail..... Anyhone had any luck finding it. Found a link to Getty Images mentioning this, but to get in there is tricky.....

You could always ask over on Pprune. One of the posters on there loaded a video he took himself of some very low flying whilst on Red Flag. I think it was titled 'From the office window" or summat like that.

Latest Threads