The Blackburn Buccaneer

Discussion in 'Tanks, planes & ships' started by Tinman74, Jun 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
  1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Didnt they get retired due to age related stress cracks or was that an excuse? My intro to them was whilst at secondary school in the 70's one ploughed in at Boscastle showering the town with unfired rounds.
  2. It didn't have a gun.
  3. True but I bet Ugly did even then. Buc's unfired rounds indeed. I say it was ugly in the bell tower with a Bren.
    • Like Like x 4
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

No weapons pod at all? Sounds unusual, mind you thats the excuse the plod gave the school for stopping the school buses for Boscastle leaving at close of play!
    I suppose it could have been some other plane, time to google the crash!
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ah my memories are indeed fuddled, twas a Hunter
  6. No, that was me.

There's a sort of drama documentary book called "Phoenix Squadron" about the Buccaneers and other aircraft aboard the old Ark Royal. The drama bits aren't great but the documentary stuff is quite interesting.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. I was serving on the Hermes in 1970,we were doing interception exercises West of Spain with the USS Zippo,sorry I meant Forestall,the idea being to get as close to the opposing carrier before being detected,and 'intercepted, by the opposition aircraft.

It had been going on for about 3 days,and the fixed wing squadrons on the 'H' were getting mighty pissed off with the American umpires,who were invalidating a lot of the 'attacks',because the radar crews on the Zippo were so shit hot.....not,cheating moi?

At sparrows on the 4th day a Bucc,and a Sea Vixen rolled off the front end having decided to go for broke,the SV came in as low as possible from the port side,and was eventually picked up,the Bucc came in line astern,popped up at the last minute,did a 'roller' down the angle,and transmitted in clear "bang your dead",then recovered to the 'H'.

Our colonial cousins went pear shaped,the pilot got a dig from the Comd (Air),and then got lashed up in the wardroom.

At the Endex wash up,the Americans came clean and admitted,that out of 24 sorties flown by the Buccs over the 3 days,they only picked up 9 that wouldn't have got through,the rest would have splashed the Forestall with no problems and were totally amazed at how low it flew,and was flown.

The Americans were also impressed with the flight deck crew on Hermes,as it was proved over the 3 day period that they were launching and recovering cabs quicker with just the 2 Bow Cats,than Forestall with 2 Bow Cats,and 2 Waist Cats going of the angle,and yes at low flying they were definitely the Dogs DooDa's.
    • Like Like x 5
  8. My enduring memory of the Bucc was from an airshow at what was then RAF Abingdon in the eighties - A damp, dismal day, drizzle drenching everything, cloud base at best a couple of hundred feet, and **** all was flying. Then came the Buccaneer's slot - and a highlight of a fast pass, flat out about fifty feet off the deck, shockwaves of vapour flaring off the nose and wingtips - awesome.
  9. Could have been 2" rockets,they slipped out of their pods on landing on very easily,in a crash they would have gone all over the place! ;-)
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

No already sorted it was a Hunter. Sorry
  11. When I was in the ATC we were told that the Bucc could fly so low because of 'ground effect'. A quick Googgle shows quite a few hits for a 'Buccaneer ground effect' search, so is it true?
  12. Yes.
  13. Thank you.
  14. I thought he was a complete twat despite his time in pirate radio, but then I hate all disc jockeys.
    • Like Like x 1