The Biggest Waste of WW2

We've had MOD waste, we've had what UK aid is wasted, but what about wasted effort in WW2?

As some of you know, I dip into International Sceptics Forum and one recent thread was on what was the most wasteful effort in WW2. Linky here: Biggest waste of WW2 - Page 3 - International Skeptics Forum

It'd be interesting to see what the views of the arrseraty would be.

But one point made in the link which I thought was valid was that in war, ideas and plans need pursuing, even if in hindsight it would seem to have been wasted effort, since at the time it may have turned out to have been a winner.

stanlystud

On ROPS
On ROPs
We've had MOD waste, we've had what UK aid is wasted, but what about wasted effort in WW2?

As some of you know, I dip into International Sceptics Forum and one recent thread was on what was the most wasteful effort in WW2. Linky here: Biggest waste of WW2 - Page 3 - International Skeptics Forum

It'd be interesting to see what the views of the arrseraty would be.

But one point made in the link which I thought was valid was that in war, ideas and plans need pursuing, even if in hindsight it would seem to have been wasted effort, since at the time it may have turned out to have been a winner.
The Pioneer corps?

There's a few debatable cases:

Dieppe, didn't we already know that a direct attack on a port was a bad plan...

The Italian campaign past Sicily

Market-Garden

The entire investment of effort, engineering and materials in the V weapons

Reinforcing North Africa after 2nd Alamein

Operation Bodenplatte or if you like the entire Ardennes offensive.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
The Atlantic Wall?
A major commitment of manpower and resources but, logically, only likely to be attacked at one point.
I've heard a figure bandied around that almost a tenth of all the concrete poured for the AW was used on Jersey and Guernsey, along with a not-insignificant garrison force and corresponding hardware...which all came to naught as the Allies simply bypassed them in June 1944.

Life, anything else is an irrelevance.

The garrison at Singapore.

Dieppe, didn't we already know that a direct attack on a port was a bad plan...
Which lead to the extensive and close recce of the landing beaches and the effort to ensure armour could get off the beach and support the infantry Divs. So not a total waste.

Look up Smoke Control....

Markey Garden was an essentially good plan screwed up beyond recovery by Browning, Leigh Mallory and (to a lesser extent) Urquhart.

The garrison at Singapore.
The UK Government asked Jellicoe to review the idea. He thought it insane and suggested bases at each end of Oz (where their navy is based now). He was ignored, cretins!

The bombing campaign without doubt was a waste of time.... We could have used those bombers in the atlantic or middle east and it made our moral case weaker, given all the innocent people killed as a result of indiscriminate bombing.

The Japanese shouldn't have bothered with pearl harbour and just attack the UK and Dutch, no guarantee the yanks would have stepped up to the plate.

The Germans for starting the whole bloody thing.

The Germans wasted their bombing effort on London and all the other cities. The one and only city in the UK they should have targeted and bombed into obliteration was Liverpool, as it was the only Western port in the UK capable of handling the volume of ships that we needed to sustain the war effort. Sorry scousers, but if I had been Adolf the pool would have just been a pile of brick dust.

The Germans wasted their bombing effort on London and all the other cities. The one and only city in the UK they should have targeted and bombed into obliteration was Liverpool, as it was the only Western port in the UK capable of handling the volume of ships that we needed to sustain the war effort. Sorry scousers, but if I had been Adolf the pool would have just been a pile of brick dust.
And there was me thinking Adolf bombed Liverpool because he hated the place (he used to live there)

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
The bombing campaign without doubt was a waste of time.... We could have used those bombers in the atlantic or middle east and it made our moral case weaker, given all the innocent people killed as a result of indiscriminate bombing.

The Japanese shouldn't have bothered with pearl harbour and just attack the UK and Dutch, no guarantee the yanks would have stepped up to the plate.

and if the germans hadn't had to keep all those 88s in the motherland and could have deployed them to the east and west fronts? same for the fighter squadrons that could have been released to CAS duty instead of air defence?

and if the germans hadn't had to keep all those 88s in the motherland and could have deployed them to the east and west fronts? same for the fighter squadrons that could have been released to CAS duty instead of air defence?
From Wiki, regarding the Defence of the Reich:

Ground-based, Mid-1944:
Personnel: 1,110,900

2,655 heavy flak gun batteries:
  • 10,930 88mm Flak 18/36 and Flak 37 guns
  • 4,157 105mm Flak 38/39 and 128mm Flak 40 guns
1,612 light flak gun batteries:
  • 30,463 20mm Flak 30/38 and 37mm Flak 43 guns

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

War between Japan & America was always going to happen, due to US power in the region being a major crimp on Japanese expansionism, not to mention that US economic sanctions due to Japanese actions in China were crippling the Japanese economy. Then of course you have the ultranationalists and militarists demanding a stronger more powerful empire, Great Power Status, and competition.

But go ahead ignore one of the biggest motivations for Japanese aggression.