The Big Question starting at 1000Hrs-Armed Forces Debate.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Jun 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Just about to start on BBC1,one of the topics they are talking about is the Armed Forces Day & are we 'really worth it' :p
    The's a Former Sgt Maj who's saying 'stop treating us like 3rd class citizens'.Should be intersting especially as the's also a chat about the burka!
    Targets will fall!
  2. Being the BBC, they have loaded the crowd with people who are going to be naturally antagonistic to the armed forces. Maybe I'll be proved wrong.
  3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

On Now!
  4. It starts - Count the times these chods say "illegal war". Turds muddying the water by talking about the pols and Campbell allowing this to go unchallenged.
  5. I am not comfortable with the premise of the discourse. It is asserted that soldiers are treated like 3rd class citizens - the obvious question then is are they being treated like 3rd class citizens. I certainly don't see that.

As well, what do these people actually want? I get uncomfortable whenever people talk about 'celebrating' the armed forces. Valuing the armed forces like we value nurses, doctors, etc is fine but celebrating smacks of misguided jingoism.
  6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

That Journo deserves a shoeing! You can tell she's Anti-US cant you.
    Looks like apart from the Mil types.the panel's loaded with Armchair Experts.
  7. Patrick Hennesey is coming across really well...
  8. A good debate showing the general appreciation of the publlic for our people.

I'm off now, to enjoy Skiptons show of appreciation.
  9. Just watched it, and the 20 minutes of debate on the armed forces was essentially a large number of different people saying the same thing- we should show our appreciation of the honorable job service personnel do, without letting the event get politicised as a Tony Blair Warfest.

Yes, a lot of "illegal war"ing but turns out the great british public have realised that the army don't choose the wars, it's the government.
  10. I agree, TM. I watched that debate and I contributed to two radio discussions yesterday. Even with the predictable inclusion of pacifist points of view "to provide balance", callers were overwhelmingly in favour of Armed Forces Day as an opportunity to recognise the contribution by present and former members of HM Forces, not as an endorsement of Government policies or as a celebration of war.

I also agree with Cowhead. Patrick Hennessy author of 'The Junior Officer's Reading Club' was excellent in this morning's televised debate.
  11. I like this apart from the fact you are too specific, your use of that suggests just shoeing one when quite clearly they could all do with a dose of leather!