The Big Battlefield Bike Ride - Training Rides etc

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Goatman, Dec 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Hopefully a lot of people on ARRSE have heard of the Big Battlefield Bike Ride taking place in May-June 2008, on behalf of the Service charity
    ' Help For Heroes'

The main target for the funds raised by this event is a new swimming pool for the Defence Medical Rehabilitation Centre (DMRC) at Headley Court.

For details of the BBBR for those who haven't heard about it check the H4H site HERE.

Although the list of 300 riders is, I believe, now full, they are still looking for supporters for the ride from Blackheath to Whitehall on 1st JUNE 2008.

The purpose of this sticky is to provide a place where BBBR riders can post details of Training Rides which have been organised in their local areas or that they are setting up and looking for fellow ARRSERs to join.

To get the ball rolling, I'm doing a short hop on Boxing Day from Romsey to Ringwood .

PM me if you fancy working off the Christmas pud :D

Le Chevre

Mods: grateful if you could make this a sticky please. VMTs
  2. I'd loved to have participated but some scrote has recently had my bike away. I hope the fcuker dies slowly.

Good luck!
  3. I was interested in this until I read the link,
    So I wont need to clean visor or dig out leathers then,different sort of bike!
    I may have missed it ,in my Alcohol-turkey beffudled state, but details of how we can sponser,Pay Paletc?

All the best to all participipating,
  4. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Thanks for taking an interest guys.

Fallsch - I can almost guarantee there's a few people in 16AA who are booked to do this ride....if you are serious, check out the H4H website and ask about locally ....even if you can't get on the main ride they are really keen for people to get involved in the last leg from Blackheath to Whitehall (the bigger the better !)...and we can always scrounge you up a bike from somewhere :D

The main website is here .

Kurgen ( there can be only one !) - although the Big Battlefield Bike Ride is a sponsored cycle event, there is absolutely nothing to stop ton-up type bikers from doing something!

The Royal British Legion Riders branch recently held a rally to take prezzies to Headley Court - maybe you could do one to raise funds for H4H in your local area?

BTW, :arrow: my justgiving page is HERE :lol:

Thanks guys - and a Happy New Year to all the Arrse contingent !

Le Chevre
  5. im on the ride,i was blown up in afghan a year to the day the ride starts,i suffered 6 fractures in my foot,tib fracture and small impact fractures in my fema.cant run yet but hope to regain most of my fitness in the new year.
  6. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Blimey Shags......hope you're on the mend ....if you have any training rides planned feel free to use this thread with (approx) details to get together with any other BBB riders in your patch.

( I've asked the Mods to make this a sticky....'spect they're all still too comatose from Christmas to register yet :-D )

Good luck with the workups and hope to see you there.

Le Chevre
  7. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

did the same route today across the new forest - about 22 miles, mostly nice quiet B roads.

Big hello to the all female cycle team I met near Fritham !

next run February 24th

START: the Aldi car park in Romsey

FINISH: The Waitrose car park in Ringwood

Mid-Point: The Red Shoot Public house

if you fancy a Spring pipe-opener and would be interested, PM me.

Le Chevre
  8. Bump!
  9. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Thanks Cait. Got your PM and will fwd details for October as requested for you to relay.....when you've been in place a month ( hardship posting?....NOT!! ) send us an e-card to show off the fab tan !

Anyone else up for some pre-BBBR cycle time ? PM me .

FEB 24th next ride - be there or be un concombre :)

Le Chevre
  10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

from H4H for all those interested and/or taking part in the Big Battlefield Bike ride:

11. HOIK

Among the many good things occuring on the charitable front is this. So, when emptying the penny jar/kids' piggy bank/abstaining from beer/fags/whores/curry [well, maybe not the last one, that would be perfidious] for worthy causes please remember this one.

Goats and several other ARRSErs are risking their fertility in cycling such a bloody long way, so hurling a pound in their direction instead of down the khazi as secondhand beer would be just lovely. ;)

12. I've put my name forward as one of the Battlefield guides through GBG. Any arrsers approaching my stand and using the Arrse Masonic Handshake will receive a dram from my special stash!
  13. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

a BUMPERs life for me

Thanks .dolly - have one of these on account :cuddle:

Cuddles - look fwd to saying hello near Arras - WAFG !
    ( I'll have to wear Mr Potato Head lapel badge as the Mods have told me a shoulder flash with ' BBBR - ARRSE TROOP' is not possible
    ( shame) )

I know there are > 60 UKFOR on the ride - so far only me and Shaggy and Shovel_recce have surfaced here on ARRSE.

Folks PLEASE check out the link in my sig and if Wales beat France today stick a penny or two on there for our people at Headley Court.....for those serving, think of it as an investment :-D

Now then, I have my best kazoo tuned up and ready to play - any requests?

Pound a go - a fiver for 'Flight of the Bumblebee' or anything by Wagner :-D

Roll-up, roll-up hear the amazin' Human jukebox do his thang....velly cheap, velly buy,you buy ! all in a good cause - and in the best POSSIBLE taste

14. The Goatster did a very passable impression of a racing snakey type person with me today on a half marathon - all in preparation for his heroic bicycle jaunt for Help for Heros in May.

Thanks for the company matey, great pacing and good run overall even if I held you up for being a bit of a short-arrsed spaz. Reckon you'll need to start learning the words to 'I want to ride my bicycle'... :wink:

Please support this ol...errr... 'mature' geezer's bid for raising a fist full of important dollars for Headly Court :D