The big 22year "Thanks for coming"

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by charliecharlieone, Aug 26, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For the old and bold who crossed the path into civvie street.

How was the big day when you left?

How did you feel?

Was it a struggle at first or is it still a struggle years on?

Any good advice for those who are heading towards the big "Thanks for coming" day?

2. My unit had been deployed in Bosnia\Kosovo (double toured) for over a year and when we got back we were exhausted. No one bothered to organise a presentation or anything for me and I left silently after 12 years. As for it being a struggle I will refer you to this thread.
    http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=12770.html

3. Go For it CharlieCharlieOne

Civvie steet Its not as scarey as its made out, I didnt even have any civvie street prior to joining up, Junior Bleeder at 15 and left when I was 40
    Whats common is the constant need to change jobs every year or so, and resist the temptation to say to your new boss, 'if you did it this way, you can save squillions' better to say, if you do it this way, you can make some money.

Its the public money syndrome and the constant need to save money.

Bite your lip when asked 'do you know John Smith, hes in the SAS/PARA/SBS but he cant talk about it, try and stop saying you have a headache that would kill a civvie, and Friday's is dress down day normally, thats NOT Planters Order or '9 Platoon IRAQ 2004, kills everything sweat shirt, jeans and desert wellies'
    Try to avoid giving a technical description of weapons systems when asked what guns you fired, and how many guys have you killed?

Corps/Regimental tie on day one of the new job is nice, but as they say, when in Rome, dont be a Christian.

Watch out for jobs that say, 'fresh funky company' or 'New thinking management' its should read...If your over 30 dont even think about applying for this job!!

DONT put your date of Birth at the head of your CV, put it at the end (you being at the life begins at age, isnt a selling point)

Finally, have fun, its a new life, jump in with both feet (knees bent of course)

Phew!!!

4. Remember, being in the Army is like you dipping one finger in a big bath of water. Now take you finger out. The effect that removing your finger from the bath is the same as the effect you will have when you leave the Army.

Sad but true. The day after you have gone people will be saying "Who?"