Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Biden Presidency

In the areas of whisky procurement, I would say this happened about 8 years ago when I got tired of always drinking the cheap stuff.

Hasn’t the US put a 25% tariff on Scottish Whisky? None of it will be cheap stuff now.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
You, especially if you value allies in cash only.

Come off it. Most NATO members are mere defence forces and a surrender waiting to happen.

1611686433917.png

Hasn’t the US put a 25% tariff on Scottish Whisky? None of it will be cheap stuff now.
Actually the wonders of the Internet let stores directly compete against each other.

I can get a bottle of the Blue Label and Gold Label with shipping for the same price as a bottle of the Blue Label at DT's.

Then you also have Bourbons and Japanese Whisky which are also very tasty.

I see you missed out on Canadian Hunter, Seagram's 7, Jim Beam, and Crown Royal.

1611686618575.png

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Observation Posts.

Very expensive ones - of limited utility and infinite vulnerability.

We did well enough when they were observing for the other side.

I see you missed out on Canadian Hunter, Seagram's 7, Jim Beam, and Crown Royal.

I don’t understand what you mean? I’ve missed out on nothing, I don’t drink whisky. I drink gin and I’m quite happy with Gordons or Bombay Sapphire which are average price. Other than that it’s cognac and though it’s possible to pay thousands for a bottle it would be wasted on my unsophisticated palate and i’m happy with this offering

1611687783965.jpeg

Actually the wonders of the Internet let stores directly compete against each other.

I can get a bottle of the Blue Label and Gold Label with shipping for the same price as a bottle of the Blue Label at DT's.

Then you also have Bourbons and Japanese Whisky which are also very tasty.

View attachment 543284

Jonny Walker? A blend? How very plebish.

But is it ready to front the money in order to further separate from America? With the pandemic I would imagine that is going to be a hard no, for Western Europe.

Possibly, but not sure what you mean by further separate from America. All nations have their geopolitical interests, though many see a benefit in working together but how close this will be will ebb and flow depending upon circumstances, and also personalities.

Others will have a more knowledge and have a more considered view of this but it seems to me that throughout what has been called the American Century, more significantly post WW2, the US was seen as the leader of the free world, which I would guess suited the US for all sorts of reasons as it seemingly gives advantage. And it was backed up by probably the largest economy in the world backed by one of the largest, if not the largest, militaries in the world.

This of course makes it easy and possibly desirable to project dominance. The US will lead because they have more bangs and bombs than others and they have a global reach. Fine, but it comes at a price which included a growing complacency by others over defence. I suspect the US was willing to pay this price, though with some grumblings, and I suspect they still want to call the shots, whether expressly made or not. And from the US's point of view why not, since the US has positioned itself globally, it has more skin in the game. But expect others to view this 'dominance' through their own lenses.

Trump is apparently transactional and saw it very much as whether the US is making money out of it or not and did not look at the other advantages or benefits of dealing with the rest of the world as others that preceded him did.

Don't get me wrong, matters probably needed adjusting and do need to change over time, one factor being the rise of China, Russia still the grumbling bear and others growing their economies that will compete and the US seeing this and reviewing its relative strengths and possibly weakening position wants others to step up to the plate.

Though I'm not sure that for the US that Trump was going about it the right way.

Oh you absolute double bastàrd, now I have to find out why it isn‘t.
Because it's named after the sapphire known as the Star of Bombay, once owned by Mary Pickford, rather than claiming to be a gin with origins/close links to Bombay/Mumbai. The sapphire is misnamed, since it came from Sri Lanka.

Jonny Walker? A blend? How very plebish.
I know, but it is great to sip on when you are watching TV. A bottle of Whistlepig 18 year rye double malt would be preferred but that is harder to come by. If you really want to get fancy a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year would also be fine.

But we do what we can with the few Denarii we have.

Possibly, but not sure what you mean by further separate from America. All nations have their geopolitical interests, though many see a benefit in working together but how close this will be will ebb and flow depending upon circumstances, and also personalities.

Others will have a more knowledge and have a more considered view of this but it seems to me that throughout what has been called the American Century, more significantly post WW2, the US was seen as the leader of the free world, which I would guess suited the US for all sorts of reasons as it seemingly gives advantage. And it was backed up by probably the largest economy in the world backed by one of the largest, if not the largest, militaries in the world.

This of course makes it easy and possibly desirable to project dominance. The US will lead because they have more bangs and bombs than others and they have a global reach. Fine, but it comes at a price which included a growing complacency by others over defence. I suspect the US was willing to pay this price, though with some grumblings, and I suspect they still want to call the shots, whether expressly made or not. And from the US's point of view why not, since the US has positioned itself globally, it has more skin in the game. But expect others to view this 'dominance' through their own lenses.

Trump is apparently transactional and saw it very much as whether the US is making money out of it or not and did not look at the other advantages or benefits of dealing with the rest of the world as others that preceded him did.

Don't get me wrong, matters probably needed adjusting and do need to change over time, one factor being the rise of China, Russia still the grumbling bear and others growing their economies that will compete and the US seeing this and reviewing its relative strengths and possibly weakening position wants others to step up to the plate.

Though I'm not sure that for the US that Trump was going about it the right way.
Well when countries fund your primary and secondary adversary it makes it harder to justify an iron clad commitment to them.

Well perhaps if Europe had listened to W or BO then the bad guy Trump would not have been necessary. But asking politely and being rebuffed only lasts so long. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. But Trump did get countries to pony up money which strengthens the alliance, so he might have bad form but he got results.

That's already been covered. Do you need some references other than Wikipedia?

PS - my post #1,652 in this thread, for which @Bravo_Bravo has somewhat satirically given me an 'Old'.
I have no idea why I did that - and I've removed it - but since you mention it'd already been covered, it had been covered prior to your comment...

And for a number of countries, it was convenient to suggest Trump was having a negative impact on how the US is perceived as it was a handy way of deflecting from their own false sense of entitlement.
Or maybe Trump had a negative effect, as demonstrated.,,

I know, but it is great to sip on when you are watching TV. A bottle of Whistlepig 18 year rye double malt would be preferred but that is harder to come by. If you really want to get fancy a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year would also be fine.

But we do what we can with the few Denarii we have.

Im a Jack and Coke (Zero) man, but I have this for scotch lovers
1611692196604.png

20 quid a litre and worth it to see people fall over after a few glasses.

Well when countries fund your primary and secondary adversary it makes it harder to justify an iron clad commitment to them.

Well perhaps if Europe had listened to W or BO then the bad guy Trump would not have been necessary. But asking politely and being rebuffed only lasts so long. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. But Trump did get countries to pony up money which strengthens the alliance, so he might have bad form but he got results.

For the sake of balance could you tell us the positives things Trump did.