Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Biden Presidency

"Do your own research" the last refuge on an internet forum for someone who has lost the argument.

Your research appears to have erred towards YouTube and conspiracy theorist websites which isn't research - its just surfing the Internet. FFS even my 15 year old daughter, glued to the Internet for about 10 hours a day, understands this.

TW@

@ipso_facto what he ^ said.

I thought your guns cost more than a car. Priorities.
Indeed they do, but I only budgeted $450 for gas, groceries, and entertainment this weekend. The rest gets sorted into savings, or CD’s. I keep as little as possible in the checking account in case the card gets compromised or lost. Having money doesn’t mean you have to be a flashy spendthrift, or shun being frugal.

Indeed they do, but I only budgeted $450 for gas, groceries, and entertainment this weekend. The rest gets sorted into savings, or CD’s. I keep as little as possible in the checking account in case the card gets compromised or lost. Having money doesn’t mean you have to be a flashy spendthrift, or shun being frugal.

Oh you budget! How quaint :-o

Don’t you lot have local area garage sales on FB? I know you are still under Lockdown, but my wife finds quite a few decent things that are cash only transactions. Armslist was also the same before got greedy. Cash is inconvenient, but not dead and in some cases the only way to acquire things.

A few years ago someone down the road was advertising a garage sale, I assumed they were selling off their jumble, but when I next passed by the garage was gone - perhaps they had a literal garage sale. During lockdown one I passed by and they had a new garage.

The UK equivalent of garage sales are car boot sales - Usually run by a local charity, school or ‘good deeds’ society fundraising by charging the sellers for their pitch and buyers to get in.
I used to go to them but during the car boot season I probably have not been to one this century, I would normally be away for the weekend at an event, probably in a friends gazebo having a drink and helping sell their stuff for my free entry, or doing the charity tombola.

The bus stop over the road is used for village give-aways of unwanted things, there are local Facebook sales pages and freecycle pages but I couldn’t do with the bother of meeting people for their tat.

I normally do some buying at auction and selling them on, I put those on eBay or into a local ‘collective’ shop (I could sell on Facebook etc and avoid eBay fees but that would mean dealing with random local people)

Cash isn’t dead yet, but other than better private individuals or in fields there isn’t much use of it. If we spend notes in cash we end up with pockets full of change. Even when selling in a field these days most of it is by card - we just make sure that there’s a reasonable cash float to cover change for the cheaper things - and don’t put .99p on the price of anything
The only shows I managed to get out to last year were a couple of comicons and steam punk shows - people there generally have either the disposable income to not rely on budgeting by carrying cash, don’t want to carry much cash in a crowd, etc and are using cards. The general exception are young kids spending their pocket money, older kids either have their own card or are attempting to get mum/dad to pay

Isn’t it though, an old fashioned habit I learnt from my mother but hey for my age I do have a nice double wide in a magnificent trailer hood with indoor plumbing and electricity!!

Sorry to hear your Mom was poor as well old son, at least you should be used to it by now.

A few years ago someone down the road was advertising a garage sale, I assumed they were selling off their jumble, but when I next passed by the garage was gone - perhaps they had a literal garage sale. During lockdown one I passed by and they had a new garage.

The UK equivalent of garage sales are car boot sales - Usually run by a local charity, school or ‘good deeds’ society fundraising by charging the sellers for their pitch and buyers to get in.
I used to go to them but during the car boot season I probably have not been to one this century, I would normally be away for the weekend at an event, probably in a friends gazebo having a drink and helping sell their stuff for my free entry, or doing the charity tombola.

The bus stop over the road is used for village give-aways of unwanted things, there are local Facebook sales pages and freecycle pages but I couldn’t do with the bother of meeting people for their tat.

I normally do some buying at auction and selling them on, I put those on eBay or into a local ‘collective’ shop (I could sell on Facebook etc and avoid eBay fees but that would mean dealing with random local people)

Cash isn’t dead yet, but other than better private individuals or in fields there isn’t much use of it. If we spend notes in cash we end up with pockets full of change. Even when selling in a field these days most of it is by card - we just make sure that there’s a reasonable cash float to cover change for the cheaper things - and don’t put .99p on the price of anything
The only shows I managed to get out to last year were a couple of comicons and steam punk shows - people there generally have either the disposable income to not rely on budgeting by carrying cash, don’t want to carry much cash in a crowd, etc and are using cards. The general exception are young kids spending their pocket money, older kids either have their own card or are attempting to get mum/dad to pay
1C0CD281-B087-40A7-B81F-BF7E57B91286.png

These are some of the things you can find on our little area sales site. Half price for something somebody has used a few times. Ain’t so bad, but cash is king for these sorts of deals.

Oh I can be frugal, I just don't see the point in paying money for shit other people are throwing away.

. But I am sure you don’t mind the allowance your wife gives you!

Don't need no allowance mate, I've got a very nice pension to play with.

Not everything is junk people are tossing

Indeed not, I bought a very nice radio for my workshop and I bought a very nice gravely tractor for herself to use at a car boot sale.

Ahh the way old class perception mindset. Garage sales must be bad.
I love a good rummage around a flea market / garage / car boot sale. You never know what you'll find! I was brought up on them by my dad.

I also donate a lot of stuff that I no longer need - we have sites like Freecycle that let you give/take stuff. Got rid of a Hoover today - it was still working, and would be a waste to chuck it away so I'm glad someone could get some use from it.

@Steamboat - Not going to the local McDonalds any time soon; can I count a cup of instant as the exchanged brew instead?

View attachment 542528
These are some of the things you can find on our little area sales site. Half price for something somebody has used a few times. Ain’t so bad, but cash is king for these sorts of deals.

Free is better, found it in one of the barns. Her mother had bought it when there were some power cuts but never needed it.
We used it a handfull of times but at a show it’s not worth the lifting. We use pre-charged lights etc and solar panels. When trading you don’t want to listen to a generator all day, and afterwards it’s out of hours so nobody wants a generator running

BBB4030B-A98E-4070-A776-18E83B26D674.jpeg

Because of the auction I go to I’ve found that a lot of the local private eBay sales are really the other dealers and I know how much they paid for it the day before it goes on eBay
(You can soon tell when somebody wants an auction item for themselves rather than selling on with how high the bidding goes)
In normal times my emergency cash will cover most exciting local sales or a quick stop at the cashpoint will do

Last edited:

Latest Threads