The Biden Presidency

Did I miss the memo where all serpents are required to be left leaning?
No
Left leaning would be pointing towards dismantling the ‘rich’.
Tax, with the ‘rich’ paying more due to either the same rate applied to a higher amount or different rates at different thresholds links to capitalism. Generate wealth and pay for national infrastructure / services from a portion of that wealth

I realise it’s a tough call but you will have to hold the contents of both @stacker1 original post and mine in your head at the same time.

You’re a fool if you think that you supporting flat tax type arrangements helps you. It’s the simplest of zero sum games. For any given budget, if the rich aren’t paying more then it means you are.

But this was all explained to you at length before: I’m merely submitting you as an example to a point that @stacker1 was making.
Do you honestly think raising taxes on the job creators is going to lead to more or fewer jobs? Because when expenses go up, personal are the first to go. You are a University guy, what happens if your institution gets a 25 percent reduction in budget?

Seems its the coming of the Second messiah judging by the frenzy whipped up on social media and the MSN, I think an awful lot of people will be disappointed. Same thing happened with Obama.
But at least Obama was not an escapee from Jurasic Park.

Yet you will complain when your cost of living goes up. Better save up those maple dollars.
Our cost of living has been going up for four long years so no change there.

Now if you don't mind leave me alone so I can watch and laugh at a big fat orange twat finally leave office with a tiny crowd in attendance.

Do you honestly think raising taxes on the job creators is going to lead to more or fewer jobs? Because when expenses go up, personal are the first to go. You are a University guy, what happens if your institution gets a 25 percent reduction in budget?
Not exactly

Labour is a high proportion of costs, but there is a balance between the increase of a cost and profit generation

x% increase in the wage bill means either the end product price goes up or the profit percentage goes down (probably a bit of both)
Whereas sacking people results in a 100% reduction in profit from that person

That’s a business decision and also a matter of viability of the business. If you can’t pay a decent wage among other expenses then the business is not viable - and that’s capitalism

Slaves are of course more profitable then employees, you have the up front cost of either purchasing a slave or the cost of bringing up their children until they can work. You then have the overheads of giving them a roof and some food
When you have to pay them a wage you can charge for the rent and food, but they won’t work unless they end up with some money in their pocket
(Unless you have some blankets to wear and can encourage them to keeworking for net zero)

That paragraph is a straw man argument as it bears no relation to the tax plan that was originally discussed.

You are also avoiding the point about zero sum games and now focussing on the question of a - hypothetical- total budget.

This is a sad day for America, electing a Senile and extremely weak man totally beholden to the media, Big Tech and the military industrial complex who got him elected, not to mention the far left extremists in his own party.
It's also a happy day for America as they get rid of a bigoted and extremely weak old man totally beholden to the Russians. They could call it even.

One of the earliest examples of that doublethink you mention is in the book “How to lie with statistics” by Darrell Huff.
Lies, damned lies, and statistics anyone?
One thing I learned long ago is that stats don't even have to be forged, it's just a matter of how you present them. That's about the only bit I still remember from science studies decades ago.

If his priorities were Corona, Economic relief and investing in the country he might not get as much stick and might actually draw some reluctant support. But he is just the tool who is going to now make a progressive agenda the priority.

Immigration, The Paris Accord, ending the muslim ban, is the great example of FYCO approach.

Apparently they are.

Biden Inauguration: What will Joe Biden do first? Biden Inauguration: What will Joe Biden do first?

That paragraph is a straw man argument as it bears no relation to the tax plan that was originally discussed.

You are also avoiding the point about zero sum games and now focussing on the question of a - hypothetical- total budget.
Bob you are good people but so far removed from the real world of budgeting. When the cost to do business increases employees are the first to go. The rich always find ways to offset losses. Tax increases at this point in time will kill jobs, the unemployed sure as hell don’t hire people.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics anyone?
One thing I learned long ago is that stats don't even have to be forged, it's just a matter of how you present them. That's about the only bit I still remember from science studies decades ago.

Indeed.

One of the reasons I like to keep learning about statistics is that it helps me spot the utter pigswill in documents I get sent or presentations I have to sit through.

It’s been helpful in deconstructing the utter shite that @Emcon Ecomcon has served up over the past few months. Arch ‘data analyst’ that he is.

syrup

LE
Wrong issue to make your first priority...It won't go anywhere and the focus should on what was the priority during campaign season.

Yet you wonder why the odds of another Trump like candidate winning in 24 will continue to grow.

There was a woman on GMTV this morning
When Morgan let her speak she was asked two things

Q - How do you unite the Republican party.
A - The incoming President announces an amnesty for 11 million illegals

Q - Who replaces Trump
A- After the riots in D.C the Republicans polled their supporters on who they would like to lead teh country
Trump came in with 43%
Pence 16% and the rest no where near.

Bob you are good people but so far removed from the real world of budgeting. When the cost to do business increases employees are the first to go. The rich always find ways to offset losses. Tax increases at this point in time will kill jobs, the unemployed sure as hell don’t hire people.

I’ve been responsible for some multi-million dollar budgets in the past. Indeed just yesterday I submitted a $67 million dollar budget for a 10-year mine clearance program. Apart from my economics degree, in your university language I also ‘minored’ in accountancy. I also run my own company. I reckon I’ve got a pretty good idea about how budgets work, even though that’s not at all relevant to the tax plan we were discussing.

You are clinging to a couple of slogans and ignoring the key point is that this discussion is not about the total size of a tax budget: it’s about where those taxes fall. And the original tax plan we were discussing wasn’t about corporation tax: it was about income tax.

If you changed that to ‘far right’ you could have posted that in 2016.

I think you’ve also swiftly moved past that at the RNC last year Trump’s team steadfastly refused to publish ANY policies for his second term.
Lack of policy was always a Trump design feature.

He relied on gut instincts that would appeal to the lowest common denominator amongst his base.

When it actually came to running a government, he simply hadn't got a clue, and relied on loyalist partisans to try and implement whatever the last Twitter statement was.

Latest Threads