Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Biden Presidency

Need, no - but it certainly helps. If you’re a dictator at the point where you’re having to have some sort of election, clearly your grip on power isn’t absolute.
I have to admit I enjoyed the reaction to Trump winning in 2016 among the oh-so-clever pointy heads and their melt-down ever since. But he's gone now and I am not sorry to see the back of him, now it's all over I am happy to concede he was a bit of a ******** (if not the resurrection of Beelzebub that CNN painted him as 24 hours a day, seven days a week for four long years). The election's over, Trump lost, dry your eyes if you're a Trump fan and move on, man up and run the country if you are a Biden supporter.

But I did kinda look at the 2020 election and wonder how it would have played out in reverse in a third-world shithole.

The establishment candidate, an old man, not particularly articulate, in political office for decades, backed by all the compliant media and the state apparatus up against the maverick, the upstart, the rebel, the outsider (now of course in the US case this was actually the incumbent, but bear with me).

All the established media, singing from the same hymn sheet, insist that the maverick has no chance, he will be pummelled by the establishment figure who is revered and loved by all. And yet, the maverick candidate, as reported by fringe media, is shown to be wildly popular at rallies, people line the streets cheering him and waving flags, he packs stadiums while the establishment man can barely get a dozen or so supporters together for a socially-distanced meeting while he fumbles through his speeches.

The maverick says he has the votes, he says not to listen to the reports that he is unpopular, he says he is more popular than ever, but he warns the establishment will attempt to rig the ballots, they will interfere with the postal voting system and steal the vote.

Then on polling day, in a huge shock, the maverick proves himself correct, there are lines around the block at polling stations, he ends up attracting some 10 million extra votes, many among demographic groups that the media said he could not possibly win. Shortly after close of voting the maverick is way ahead in the polls, he is well in the lead.

But the media says, no, just wait for the postal votes to come in, they will show him. And sure enough, the one prediction that the media and establishment pundits made that proved correct, and that the rebel candidate said would happen, occurs, the postal votes miraculously wipe out all the original gains. No shocks, no upsets, exactly as the establishment camp and media said, and the populist maverick warned about, happens. The postal votes wipe out every gain the insurgent candidate made.

If such an occurrence happened in Belarus, or Mexico, or Russia, or Ukraine, or Uganda what would the western media say? They would pretty much state flat out that the establishment stole the election.

I don't believe that happened in the US, but maybe we might be a bit more cynical when our media tells us it has occurred elsewhere.

Ayatollah

Old-Salt
American politics is huge, how a new President is chosen is even bigger and I have no idea how it all works, however, strip away all the politics and the money and have a look at Biden the man. It's ridiculous, really. The man is like an OAP with serious problems. He, in my mind, is in no fit state to drive a motor vehicle, let alone be the leader of the free world.

Watch his speeches, it's embarrassing, it's like shoving your senile Grandad behind the microphone to make a 'thank you speech' for his birthday presents.

There must be some serious reason as to why he is in the hot seat, but I really cannot see it. Who is really pushing the buttons and pulling the strings? It's quite bizzare.

Thre is no way he can be seen as a serious Statesman, there is no resilience, no powerful speeches, no toughness, just a weak old man.

I hate to say it, but the demands of the job will kill him. Poor sod.
He will be serving Obama's third term.

Mattb

LE
The establishment candidate, an old man, not particularly articulate, in political office for decades, backed by all the compliant media and the state apparatus up against the maverick,
Except that he wasn't.
If such an occurrence happened in Belarus, or Mexico, or Russia, or Ukraine, or Uganda what would the western media say? They would pretty much state flat out that the establishment stole the election.
Were there international observers present? If there were a bunch of UN observers (OAS in the case of the US) present who said it was fine, and the government themselves - who remember at the time were led by the guy who lost - say it's fine, then the result would be far less in question. Compare that to disputed votes, such as the Crimean referendum, where the situation was far less open (OSCE unofficially invited, however OSCE observers had previously been turned away and indeed warning shots fired - meanwhile the other 'observers' invited were from far-right groups).

There must be some serious reason as to why he is in the hot seat, but I really cannot see it. Who is really pushing the buttons and pulling the strings? It's quite bizzare.

Thre is no way he can be seen as a serious Statesman, there is no resilience, no powerful speeches, no toughness, just a weak old man.

Did you see his competition? Mainly a bunch of nobodies, his two closest contenders were Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren, both sealed their own fate when they suggested higher taxes for the rich, nothing unites all the trendy, benevolent, pretend lefty, democrat billionaires than someone daring to suggest they should pay more money.

Biden will be seen as a safe pair of hands and it will be business as usual in the states where poor people will generally stay poor but think their leaders are on their side.

Except that he wasn't.

Were there international observers present? If there were a bunch of UN observers (OAS in the case of the US) present who said it was fine, and the government themselves - who remember at the time were led by the guy who lost - say it's fine, then the result would be far less in question. Compare that to disputed votes, such as the Crimean referendum, where the situation was far less open (OSCE unofficially invited, however OSCE observers had previously been turned away and indeed warning shots fired - meanwhile the other 'observers' invited were from far-right groups).
The point I am making is that we should be as sceptical of reports that assume the western media-supported candidate was robbed of the election in some shit-hole with the same scepticism that we are of Trump's claim (just as some would say we should be as shocked by the pro-western coup in Ukraine that overthrew a democratically elected government as we should be of the mob of rednecks who stormed the Capitol the other week).

Of course, as I made plain, the situation in the US was not a parallel, Trump was in office, but you surely would concede that he did not have the backing of the establishment and the media, he was throughout his presidency the outsider.

Like I say, he's gone now, no loss, Biden won and he will settle into a welcome from the governing classes and the media as their favoured candidate and all is right once again with the world.

I have to admit I enjoyed the reaction to Trump winning in 2016 among the oh-so-clever pointy heads and their melt-down ever since. But he's gone now and I am not sorry to see the back of him, now it's all over I am happy to concede he was a bit of a ******** (if not the resurrection of Beelzebub that CNN painted him as 24 hours a day, seven days a week for four long years). The election's over, Trump lost, dry your eyes if you're a Trump fan and move on, man up and run the country if you are a Biden supporter.
I would have voted Trump in 2016 not only as a natural conservative but, for all of his many many many many many many many, faults I still think that he was a better option than Hilary.

He has been an absolute ******* embarrassment for the USA and the only way for the country to recoup any political credibility was for him to be voted out. Hopefully the GOP can distance itself from the far right religious and political fruitcakes and field a credible candidate in 2024. If they put up anyone who is even remotely connected to Trump then we will see the first female president.

I would have voted Trump in 2016 not only as a natural conservative but, for all of his many many many many many many many, faults I still think that he was a better option than Hilary.
I think I wouldn't have voted, so I could wash my hands of the (at the time, predicted) mess either way.

He has been an absolute ******* embarrassment for the USA and the only way for the country to recoup any political credibility was for him to be voted out. Hopefully the GOP can distance itself from the far right religious and political fruitcakes and field a credible candidate in 2024. If they put up anyone who is even remotely connected to Trump then we will see the first female president.

My bold
The media might give that impression because they blame him for everything, there are a lot of people in the world who either agree with him or dont give a **** either way.

An example was when he said something like an African shithole and CNN ran around shrieking like a toddler who had had its bum smacked how he had enraged the Africans, they gave some screen time to some outraged politicians but when they asked the normal Africans almost all of them said they agreed with him, it was a shithole and if people are upset feel free to do something about it. The story quickly fizzled out.

His handling on the Corona virus according to CNN/Sky/BBC his handling of it has been really bad, this may be so but the US death rate due to Corona is lower than 11 European countries.

If he did so badly in his 4 years how the hell did he get 11 million more votes than he did in 2016? Those people are unlikely to abandon the Republicans for putting up a Trump supporter in 2024, but the Democrats might lose votes if Biden doesn't preform well. (Like Obama lost millions of votes over his 8 years).

My bold
The media might give that impression because they blame him for everything, there are a lot of people in the world who either agree with him or dont give a **** either way.

An example was when he said something like an African shithole and CNN ran around shrieking like a toddler who had had its bum smacked how he had enraged the Africans, they gave some screen time to some outraged politicians but when they asked the normal Africans almost all of them said they agreed with him, it was a shithole and if people are upset feel free to do something about it. The story quickly fizzled out.

His handling on the Corona virus according to CNN/Sky/BBC his handling of it has been really bad, this may be so but the US death rate due to Corona is lower than 11 European countries.

If he did so badly in his 4 years how the hell did he get 11 million more votes than he did in 2016? Those people are unlikely to abandon the Republicans for putting up a Trump supporter in 2024, but the Democrats might lose votes if Biden doesn't preform well. (Like Obama lost millions of votes over his 8 years).
Reality is going to come crashing down in short order.

If you look at the economy section of the article, you will note that the much promised stimulus bill, has already been pushed back to maybe February. No bribe money for the masses, that were promised lots of “free” money if they vote for Joe.

syrup

LE

If you look at the economy section of the article, you will note that the much promised stimulus bill, has already been pushed back to maybe February. No bribe money for the masses, that were promised lots of “free” money if they vote for Joe.

But who will feed al those Hondurans on their way to the land of the free expecting to be let in by President creepy Joe

"Mr President tear down this wall"

Ive notice that in the states (In happen all over the world but to a lesser degree) that the media will decide if something is a success, plus they can always use the excuse that it was all Trumps fault that Biden is struggling now.

Ive notice that in the states (In happen all over the world but to a lesser degree) that the media will decide if something is a success, plus they can always use the excuse that it was all Trumps fault that Biden is struggling now.
But Biden has it all, but if he can’t deliver the Dems are going to be at each other’s throats. Especially if promise free money and debt relief.

But Biden has it all, but if he can’t deliver the Dems are going to be at each other’s throats. Especially if promise free money and debt relief.
1611066650130.png

Applies to quite a few people on here.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Did you see his competition? Mainly a bunch of nobodies, his two closest contenders were Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren, both sealed their own fate when they suggested higher taxes for the rich, nothing unites all the trendy, benevolent, pretend lefty, democrat billionaires than someone daring to suggest they should pay more money.

Biden will be seen as a safe pair of hands and it will be business as usual in the states where poor people will generally stay poor but think their leaders are on their side.
Aye, I agree mate, but with a country that size, you would have thought that better candidates could be found. It doesn't bode well does it?

Aye, I agree mate, but with a country that size, you would have thought that better candidates could be found. It doesn't bode well does it?
The better candidates have probably got better jobs elsewhere. Biden might look a doddering old twat now but he's had nearly 50 years of bluffing the public.

Edit to add, in a Terry Pratchett novel, I can't remember the name but its one of the earlier ones about the witches, the fool is speaking to the King and Queen about the power of words and how you say something that sounds better but leads to the same outcome (I can't remember the exact woods but it was something like destroying a forest changed to cleaning the land and providing jobs. Its reminds me of US politics, Trump just said things bluntly, Obama/Biden say the same things but in a different way. Same result but Trump is the bad guy because he is rude while Obama and Biden are great statemen.

Last edited:
But who will feed al those Hondurans on their way to the land of the free expecting to be let in by President creepy Joe
Can't remember which country it was in, south of Mexico anyway, but the police laid into and turned back crowds of refugees headed north to the US. So there may not be that many for Joe to let in.

Latest Threads