The best virus ever?

So... what number of projected deaths in any year will from now on equal lockdown measures?

More than 32,000 presumably, as we ignored that number in a recent 'flu season.

40,000? 70,000?
You asked a question and I replied.

As to your new question, I am not in a position to answer that question and I don't believe anyone on here is. At this moment in time we are dealing with an unknown, by unknown I mean a new strain of virus which could have the potential to make the numbers you ask about look pretty low.

To date, worldwide, the number of deaths due to Covid-19 have surpassed the numbers you mention above.

They're innate.

Religion isn't necessary to develop a sense of right and wrong.

Arguably, quite the opposite.

Dawkins has a very good chapter on this in "the God Delusion".

I followed up on the footnotes and bibliography; there's plenty of research demonstrating that "good" behaviour isn't really connected with religious teachings or faith.

Animals may show some innate behaviour which supports the greater good of their group but that's not enough for society. Every major civilisation which has eschewed the values of mainstream religion has a record of complete disaster. The French tried it and ended up with the Reign of Terror, the Russians tried it and ended up with holodomor and the Gulag. The Japanese did it and ended up with rampant militarism and Nanking. The Germans tried it and we all know what happened there. It can be argued that one of the main reasons for the ending of slavery was due to the Christian beliefs of Wilberforce.

I asked where your parents' values came from, I doubt they invented them on their own. People get their values from the civilisation that they are born into. As an example, I could say that I have a bad father (my father is great FWIW) and we can all identify with that because we all know what a bad father is and what a father's responsibilities should be. Now, where do we get those high ideals from? We certainly don't make them up ourselves "Our father, who art in heaven, hallowed be the name."

The idea of the good father/mother etc derives from an ancient archetype which is depicted in mainstream movies, stories and myths and it's origins lie in the religious myths which go way back to the Egyptians. If you get rid of something that major then there will be consequences for people's perception of behaviour, self and identity.

As to your new question, I am not in a position to answer that question and I don't believe anyone on here is. At this moment in time we are dealing with an unknown, by unknown I mean a new strain of virus which could have the potential to make the numbers you ask about look pretty low.

To date, worldwide, the number of deaths due to Covid-19 have surpassed the numbers you mention above.
The UK is around 0.86% of the world's total population with 32k seasonal flu deaths a few years back. It's probably statistically incorrect to extrapolate that number directly to come up with a figure for worldwide deaths, but I'd say that number would far surpass what COVID 19 has achieved so far.

It's probably statistically incorrect to extrapolate that number directly to come up with a figure for worldwide deaths, but I'd say that number would far surpass what COVID 19 has achieved so far.
CDC puts the number of influenza illnesses from October 2019 to March 2020 (flu season) worldwide at between 39 - 55 million cases. The number of deaths from influenza they put at between 24,000 - 63,000. Those cases are not linked to the Covid-19 numbers.

Worldwide to date there have been just under 1.9 million confirmed cases of Covid-19 of which 70.6 thousand of those cases resulted in death.

Last edited:
I already believe in the existence of aliens - the unimaginably vast number of galaxies (~100 billion) and planets virtually guarantee life exists elsewhere. Life itself is an emergent property of the Universe, or whatever causes it to exist.
Every species of living thing is part of God's creation, and maybe the species created in God's image exist throughout our small region of the Universe.
I find it quite extraordinary that a person with your level of awareness of the enormity of reality is capable of reducing "God" to some Jewish bloke who was born around my current neighbourhood 2000 years ago.
So, is it lack of humility, inane idiocy or the lust to idolize - what gives you the temerity to reduce and demean everything you mention here to such pettiness?

Your reply indicated that, in the absence of a vaccine to a novel virus, we should close society down.

Presumably that's over - reacting if there are not going to be any deaths.

At what point is it not an over reaction?

I'm asking about our own country. Of course, worldwide, the numbers will be larger than for UK.

We have appx 1% of the global population.

Is this worth thinking about? I'd suggest that we've set a precedent here and need to be clearer in future about costs and benefits.

Animals may show some innate behaviour which supports the greater good of their group but that's not enough for society. Every major civilisation which has eschewed the values of mainstream religion has a record of complete disaster. The French tried it and ended up with the Reign of Terror, the Russians tried it and ended up with holodomor and the Gulag. The Japanese did it and ended up with rampant militarism and Nanking. The Germans tried it and we all know what happened there. It can be argued that one of the main reasons for the ending of slavery was due to the Christian beliefs of Wilberforce.

I asked where your parents' values came from, I doubt they invented them on their own. People get their values from the civilisation that they are born into. As an example, I could say that I have a bad father (my father is great FWIW) and we can all identify with that because we all know what a bad father is and what a father's responsibilities should be. Now, where do we get those high ideals from? We certainly don't make them up ourselves "Our father, who art in heaven, hallowed be the name."

The idea of the good father/mother etc derives from an ancient archetype which is depicted in mainstream movies, stories and myths and it's origins lie in the religious myths which go way back to the Egyptians. If you get rid of something that major then there will be consequences for people's perception of behaviour, self and identity.

You're suggesting that God is a good example as a father.

Ahem.

Abraham.

Your reply indicated that, in the absence of a vaccine to a novel virus, we should close society down.
No, I'm not indicating anything, what I am saying is that this unknown we are faced with now has so far been deadlier than the influenza virus of the last couple of years.

Okay see my post above, those numbers indicate that the covid-19 virus is killing people at a greater rate than influenza. As to a vaccine for covid-19, human trials are due to start this week.

We have appx 1% of the global population.
I reckon a virus, any virus, doesn't really care much about percentages or statistics

I find it quite extraordinary that a person with your level of awareness of the enormity of reality is capable of reducing "God" to some Jewish bloke who was born around my current neighbourhood 2000 years ago.
So, is it lack of humility, inane idiocy or the lust to idolize - what gives you the temerity to reduce and demean everything you mention here to such pettiness?
I haven't reduced God to some 'Jewish bloke'. Christ is a manifestation of God - the personification of God that humans can relate to and interact with. We cannot even comprehend God in His entirety, or perceive Him as a distinct being through our very limited senses.
That is why, in the scriptures, it is said, in multiple ways, that no living person could see the face of God, or come to God except through Christ.

I haven't reduced God to some 'Jewish bloke'. Christ is a manifestation of God - the personification of God that humans can relate to and interact with. We cannot even comprehend God in His entirety, or perceive Him as a distinct being through our very limited senses.
That is why, in the scriptures, it is said, in multiple ways, that no living person could see the face of God, or come to God except through Christ.
He's a very naughty boy.

OK so it says that in "the scriptures" regarding which, as you have already stated on Arrse, we have no way of knowing whether they're true.
Does that even seem logical to you Man? No living person anywhere on earth can come to God except via some Jewish bloke who lived around my way 2k years ago???
Do you really think "God" is as absurd as the BS you're projecting?

OK so it says that in "the scriptures" regarding which, as you have already stated on Arrse, we have no way of knowing whether they're true.
Does that even seem logical to you Man? No living person anywhere on earth can come to God except via some Jewish bloke who lived around my way 2k years ago???
Do you really think "God" is as absurd as the BS you're projecting?
Only through Jesus, lookfar. Only through Jesus.

Will you pick up your cross and follow Him?

Only through Jesus, lookfar. Only through Jesus.

Will you pick up your cross and follow Him?
Just pick up your cross, grab a bag of nails and wander into your local hotel and say "Can you put me up for the night"

David Irving, he thinks he's a much maligned victim of international Jewery or some such
Yeah, but what does he think of Higgsy?

Latest Threads