The best restaraunt you've eaten in.

I have mentioned this before but sadly for me (I should get out more) this is the best food I have experienced, at Auberge John Steele in St Mere Eglis, a beautiful town with amazing history, the food was truly amazing.
The hotel on the square in Creuilly is very good, and Monty's first HQ is just outside the village.

Le Vieux Logis in Tremolat, Dordogne.......excellent for truffles in season.

Star of India, Old Brompton Rd., sadly now closed........remarkable Indian, truly special when the chefs are "on".

Racine, Brompton Rd., also sadly now closed......best French QPR in London, excellent wine list sensibly priced, allowed BYO, English chef/owner. Was a staple one a week for close to 20 years.

When the last two closed within a year of each other, I knew it was time to move to pastures new.

Regimental Restaurant, 11 Signal Regiment, Helles Bks, Catterick.

OK, I lied :)
Back in those days, the Gurkhas on courses were allowed to make their own food in the Regimental Restaurant at weekends.
On my Class 1 course, we had 4 QGS on the same course and a couple of us Brits made the mistake of accepting an invite to one of their lunches in the block on Saturday afternoon (didn’t go home at the weekends because the family was back in Germany).
We turned up at the designated time in their accommodation block and were immediately presented with a can of beer - so far, so good. Inside the room was a large gathering of Ghurka soldiers and two large pots. One contained rice, the other a ‘proper’ Ghurka Curry. It was like a scene from Indiana Jones - eyeballs, bones, possibly even feet from whichever animal has made it into the pot! Great memories, great hospitality, but definitely not an eating experience we rushed back to!

S-mise

Old-Salt
One for highlanders or holiday makers would be Gille Brighde at Lower Diabeg (Torridon). The journey to reach this place takes a few hours from Inverness, through great scenery and amazing twisty roads. Lower Diabeg is at the very end of the road in a secluded bay looking west.
The restaurant is an old schoolhouse right at the end of the road.
There are no silver spoons or tasting menus here. It’s an honest menu using fresh ingredients and more than good enough to make myself at least return over and over. They win awards every year.

During a memorable Sunday lunch we sat beside a couple who’d flown from New York to London to Inverness then came straight here for lunch!
They close for the winter, and booking is advisable due to the secret being out these days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishalida on some Greek island.
Food was excellent and the surroundings lurvly.
Set right on the beach and very romantic. Shame I was holidaying with the ex.

PhotoPictureResizer_191123_090939139_crop_1396x844.jpg

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
The Greystone Steakhouse
Gaslamp, San Diego
About $80 for a 20oz ribeye, lobster ravioli and a beer, but the best one I've ever had.

Bombarnika
Kazimierz, Krakow
Tradional Polish food away from the hustle and bustle (and tourist prices) of the main square. Try their mixed meat sharing plater for around 127 flip-flops (approx £27)

I'd already ordered my pork knuckle, fried cabbage and chips - the couple with us ordered the mixed meat and I ended up having to help out and take one for the team...

IMG_20191123_093522_compress54.jpg

There have been so many through the years...but the one which stuck in my is this recent one in Paris, we recently (during the summer months) wandered into with flip flops/ jandals and shorts without even a reservation and found out it was a two michelin star restaurant.

La table d'eugène.

I don't know what the rating is right now, but it was damn good food and even the waiters were surprised that we just walked and they had a slot available for two.

Costed us about 200 bucks, but was worth it.

There have been so many through the years...but the one which stuck in my is this recent one in Paris, we recently (during the summer months) wandered into with flip flops/ jandals and shorts without even a reservation and found out it was a two michelin star restaurant.

La table d'eugène.

I don't know what the rating is right now, but it was damn good food and even the waiters were surprised that we just walked and they had a slot available for two.

Costed us about 200 bucks, but was worth it.
I thought you were too busy packing to play on here?

Come on, you’ve got questions to answer...

philc

LE
Chez Bruce, Wandsworth Common when I used to live there, this place when I used to live here.

bunbenbon.com

Where I am now not so much

If you are in the Nottinghamshire area there are some top pubs for food and ale on and around the A6097 between the A46 and A614, it’s like a corridor of good grub.

There’s also the Martins Arms just off the A46 at Colton Bassett (there is also the dairy at Colston Bassett that makes great cheeses, including stilton).

Perkins Bar and Bistro, Plumtree and the Plough and Normanton. Both just off the A606 between the A52 and A46.

Latest Threads