The best racing spoon

MRE spoon isn't bad.

They crack at the base of handle after a couple of weeks.

The best racing-spoon I have yet seen is a machine-carved, Japanese bamboo spoon. Me and climbing colleagues were all gifted these spoons by a Japanese climber who had selected them over many years as being the best lightweight, rigid, long-handled, indestructible (except by fire) spoon for outdoor dining of all sorts. And they are very cheap (in Japan).

The best racing-spoon I have yet seen is a machine-carved, Japanese bamboo spoon. Me and climbing colleagues were all gifted these spoons by a Japanese climber who had selected them over many years as being the best lightweight, rigid, long-handled, indestructible (except by fire) spoon for outdoor dining of all sorts. And they are very cheap (in Japan).
Maybe in Japan they make them of folded steel like the old fashioned samurai swords?

"A Katana needs to be made of steel folded 1000 times, according to eHow: Pound the tamahagane into two separate blades. These need to be heated, pounded by hand, and folded 1,000 times each to remove the impurities. Pound one of them another 1,000 times to make it harder than the other."

Similar on Amazon GBP10

Forrest Gump

Old-Salt
Seeing the bamboo cutlery reminds me of a trip to Cornwall when the Eden Project first opened. Their on site cafe had some very nice bamboo spoons intended for stirring cuppas. Silly people left them as help yourself items, so I did help myself to a large handful.
Ya theevin so and so

Ya theevin so and so

Nah, nah, I didn't guv, honest. They wuz there on the help yourself stand with the sugar sachets, little milk pots, salt & pepper etc. So I helped myself, as implied.

Forrest Gump

Old-Salt
Nah, nah, I didn't guv, honest. They wuz there on the help yourself stand with the sugar sachets, little milk pots, salt & pepper etc. So I helped myself, as implied.
Well ok then…me and me mates stopped at a service station somewhere in the motherland on way to an ex and we accidentally took all the coffee/tea mugs/plates/kfs etc and a few days later in a shell scrape we had our little dinner set all set up in the woods…looked pretty cool.

The expression racing spoon was part of the banter associated with the Regiment practice of having a 'tafaddal' or shared meal during Middle East ops. "What do you mean ladle? That's just ma racin spoon!"
I've been at a few 'lamb grabs' in Syria!
The headman pulls off something juicy (possibly a bollock) from the carcass and chucks it at a favoured guest. No spoons needed it was all by hand. In fact my travelling companion was a very rusty Pilgrim.

rustypilgrim

Old-Salt
I've been at a few 'lamb grabs' in Syria!
The headman pulls off something juicy (possibly a bollock) from the carcass and chucks it at a favoured guest. No spoons needed it was all by hand. In fact my travelling companion was a very rusty Pilgrim.
And I hope you just used your right hand only and kept it moving so the blue bottles didn't land? The racing spoon was more for communal sharing of ration packs which invariably meant a curry or all in stew. For this rusty pilgrim it's no longer a racing spoon like a ladle I prefer, rather a whisky glass that some would call a goldfish bowl. Cheers.

And I hope you just used your right hand only and kept it moving so the blue bottles didn't land? The racing spoon was more for communal sharing of ration packs which invariably meant a curry or all in stew. For this rusty pilgrim it's no longer a racing spoon like a ladle I prefer, rather a whisky glass that some would call a goldfish bowl. Cheers.

We had a discussion about the left hand/arse interaction. To be fair some of the Syrian homes we 'crash' in have water jets near the khazi. I had to agree that squirting water is a bit more refreshing than raking the 'farmers' with sand paper.

Back on track:

The MRE bags that we are issued have a long handled spoon within.

This is my current scoff rod which fits in my brew kit Molle pack. I suppose you could tie the thing around your neck just like in the SF books but why would you want to?

51CwXU5a2yL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
We had a discussion about the left hand/arse interaction. To be fair some of the Syrian homes we 'crash' in have water jets near the khazi. I had to agree that squirting water is a bit more refreshing than raking the 'farmers' with sand paper.

Back on track:

This is my current scoff rod which fits in my brew kit Molle pack. I suppose you could tie the thing around your neck just like in the SF books but why would you want to?

View attachment 673862
By God, you really have to rough it around Westminster, don’t you? :-D

rustypilgrim

Old-Salt

Back on track:

View attachment 673862
Your mention of being thrown bollocks to eat and left hand/arse interactions are inducing too many torturous long-forgotten flashbacks for me, thank f@ck I can't smell them too!:)
By the way, your very rusty pilgrim with you, wasn't 'The Skygod' we discussed before?

Your mention of being thrown bollocks to eat and left hand/arse interactions are inducing too many torturous long-forgotten flashbacks for me, thank f@ck I can't smell them too!:)
By the way, your very rusty pilgrim with you, wasn't 'The Skygod' we discussed before?

No, I last worked with the 'SkyGod' in Cairo when we were with Aljazeera. It all went very wrong and 6 of our colleagues ended up in Egyptian prisons: 3 of them did a couple of years. He's done some stuff for
BBC Natural History Unit; I know this because he put my name forward for aerial filming. Bless him.

My man in Syria (probably same vintage) knew some current young Pilgrims that we bumped into outside of Manbij.

Back on track:

View attachment 673862
I thought the general idea was it was on paracord in a pocket in your smock, maybe that's a "key identifier" of SF and them... so if you want to walt in Ukraine you know where to place your spoon... seperates the men from the boys.

I thought the general idea was it was on paracord in a pocket in your smock, maybe that's a "key identifier" of SF and them... so if you want to walt in Ukraine you know where to place your spoon... seperates the men from the boys.

You see it's details like that (incorrect placement of tethered scoff rod) that can catch out a keen walt.
Incidentally 'scoff rods' was a Browning Barracks thing rather than Hereford I think? @rustypilgrim ?

rustypilgrim

Old-Salt
No, I last worked with the 'SkyGod' in Cairo when we were with Aljazeera. It all went very wrong and 6 of our colleagues ended up in Egyptian prisons: 3 of them did a couple of years. He's done some stuff for
BBC Natural History Unit; I know this because he put my name forward for aerial filming. Bless him.

My man in Syria (probably same vintage) knew some current young Pilgrims that we bumped into outside of Manbij.
Egyptian prison? I should imagine the only bollocks you'd be thrown to eat would be your own! Glad to hear the Skygod is doing Natural History. He deserves an easy life at his age. We have a distinct shelf life in this game IMHO, and some folk can't or won't abide by their own sell-by date, and that can lead to a nonsense. :)

rustypilgrim

Old-Salt
You see it's details like that (incorrect placement of tethered scoff rod) that can catch out a keen walt.
Incidentally 'scoff rods' was a Browning Barracks thing rather than Hereford I think? @rustypilgrim ?
Never heard the expression 'scoff rod' myself. Expressions come and go though, especially in Hereford where you can be working with folk from all other services and other countries.

Way back in the day, as someone definitely not one of them!, I always wore one on a cord around my neck and have fond memories of sitting in the Penthouse on the the back of the 434, at Saltau, after our umpteenth Chieftain pack lift, with the 4 of us in the crew just dipping our spoons in to our 'all-in' pot which was put together from the old 10 man ration packs - babies heads, MFP, some spices etc. once finished it was a quick lick of the spoon to clean it and tuck it back under your covvies - I can never remember ever getting food poisoning but, then again I think we were pretty immune from the amount of oily handprints on your egg banjo by the time it had been passed through 4 or 5 guys up to you working on the back decks - good times :)

Egyptian prison? I should imagine the only bollocks you'd be thrown to eat would be your own! Glad to hear the Skygod is doing Natural History. He deserves an easy life at his age. We have a distinct shelf life in this game IMHO, and some folk can't or won't abide by their own sell-by date, and that can lead to a nonsense. :)
I'm fast approaching my sell-by date as it happens. The 'old boy' (an extremely good and experienced adviser) I was with in Ukraine was probably fitter than me. In fact I actually put quite a bit of timber on thanks to the lack of movement and hefty portions of Georgian and Ukrainian food.

No need for MRE or racing spoons as we were in and out of pretty decent restaurants. It was a proper 4 star war.

I first heard of scoff rods around 1982 at Browning whilst on a visit.

Mark_Addy

Old-Salt
Will this thread reach page 94? As Stokie Steve might say, 'wave that spoon in Stoke, and we will kick your f*cking head in...'.

(That's a Private Eye allusion, which I guess might not mean much to some readers.)

Last edited:
Yep, we had our racing spoons on paracord attached to a top smock pocket when on AMF(L) exercises in Norway so you didn’t loose it when you almost certainly fell over in the snow. Mine was a wooden spoon with a handle long enough to reach the bottom of the cooker.

Everyone would empty their dehydrated rations into the pressure cooker and when it was done everyone sat around the said cooker and the race was on.

Latest Threads