The best place to be on Remberance Day?

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Outstanding, Oct 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Although it is a solemn day, it can also be enjoyable and I am sure that many of those who are not there with us would not want us to be dismal, but to Reme,ber them with a smile on our face.

So where is the best place to be on the 11th hour of the 11th Day?

The Menin gate in Ypres?
  2. theipval memorial ( excuse spelling ) outside with the mist all around u as last post played. Was there a couple of years ago and even the birds stopped chirping for the silence
  3. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

It doesn't matter where you are.

The fact that you are here at all, and free, is good enough.
  4. i have a friend that works in an office and they suggested to their bosses to switch off the phones - answer they got was no. so their answer , and all the peeps they work with is that they will all being going to the loo at the same time
  5. Standing Proud with Poppy in Lapel, medals polished and gleaming, suit pressed to knife edge precision, crying my bl**dy eyes out, tears streaming unashamedly down my face in the cold and wet at my local war Memorial while the Legion do their stuff.

Then back to raise a glass and blow the froth off a few...

B*gger, filling up already, does this count as a rehearsal? :(
  6. Last year at an unknown Grid Ref in the Libyan desert. This year in the Commonwealth cemetery in Khartoum, if the people in the British Embassy there get off their air conditioned arrses and let me know what's going on....
  7. The actual place is not that important , to me anyway . The thoughts about friends and all the others who have made it possible for you to be able to remember them in freedom is
  8. I would recommend attending a remembrance service in a small village or town in your locality as these are often very intimate and moving services. Also it helps to keep the tradition alive in small villages where the number of veterans on parade in a lot of villages is dwindling year by year.
  9. Sunday, City of London Memorial, Royal Exchange. Tuesday 1100hrs stood by the side of my car wherever I happen to be and bollox to any Parking Warden.
  10. This year will be the same as last year for me, suited up and in the Regimental tie at the cenotaph in George Square, Glasgow.
  11. This year I'm going to be on Sennybridge training area, chuffed to Naafi breaks.
  12. I like the idea of stopping your dar - but could you do it anywhere - M6??
  13. Well you could always claim a misfire and that as a good citizen you left your vehicle to move to a safe position.
  14. This'll be my first year living in London full-time so I'm planning to head up to the Cenotaph but, as mentioned above, I'll be there in my knife-edge ironed suit, with medal (singular), Corps tie and more than one or two tears in my eyes watching the RBL doing their thing.
  15. The BDF/RBL club in Belize City has got to be one of the best. If you can cope with the previous day's celebration and the 90+ humidity. Cracking guys who have supported us in just about all our fights. Stick to Belikin!