The Best Of Battle compilation of the best war comic

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by shellbackmac, Oct 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Pre-ordered this last year and its finally arrived......

A couple of hundred pages of Hellman of Hammer Force, Joe Two Beans, D-Day Dawson, Major Eazy, Rat Pack, Charleys War etc

Loads of memories and worth a tenner of anyones hard earned who were brought up on this fine publication in the late 70's/early 80's. Still can't get my head around that young 'uns today can't buy a trad war comic, Commandos being the only thing that is (thankfully) still available.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. There's a similar 'Commando' compilation book out as well. Bought it, wrapped it up - a certain teenage boy will get it in his Christmas Stocking.

3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I've got the annual at home with that cover on it

1984 I think

Always pop back for a read now and then

4. Doh, so good I posted it 3 times

5. Was there also a comic called Warlord, or is that just senility setting in?

6. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Yep got them aswell and Victor Book for Boys

7. Seem to remember a story not so long ago about a guy who found a story about his grandad or uncle in an old copy of The Victor. They used to have a colour story on the front and back covers entitled 'A true story of men at war' (the 'true story' bit contained within a grenade emblem for the Army stories, anchor emblem for the matelots and a set of RAF wings for the baggage). Think he found it in a second hand shop and realised the story he was reading was about his relative winning a gallantry award, story confirmed by an older relative ...will google it and see if I can find the dit....

8. Yep. Used to read Victor avidly. QM's clerk at my Bn has a framed copy in his office. Story all about his dad winning MM in Normandy.

9. Yup but I thought the artwork and stories were much better in Battle

10. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Nah its 1979, I've got a copy m'sel. 1984 has a cover with a German flak position being attacked by a Hurricane. :D

11. The Victor - was that the one that had 'The Wolf of Kabul' and "Alf Tupper - the Tough of the Track"?

There were also the Lion and the Tiger - one used to have a cutaway diagram of a different tank every week.

12. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

13. I have the Commando compilation, or at least my brother ( who "borrowed" it does)

I used to have the Victor and Warlord annuals bought from charity shops when I was a kid, some of the stories were very inspirational and, in fact, possibly the reason I signed on. Shame the RAf I joined wasn't the one of heroes.

14. Where did you order it from?

Cheers

15. from Amazon mate