The Best Of Battle compilation of the best war comic

Pre-ordered this last year and its finally arrived......

A couple of hundred pages of Hellman of Hammer Force, Joe Two Beans, D-Day Dawson, Major Eazy, Rat Pack, Charleys War etc

Loads of memories and worth a tenner of anyones hard earned who were brought up on this fine publication in the late 70's/early 80's. Still can't get my head around that young 'uns today can't buy a trad war comic, Commandos being the only thing that is (thankfully) still available.

Enjoy!

Attachments

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
There's a similar 'Commando' compilation book out as well. Bought it, wrapped it up - a certain teenage boy will get it in his Christmas Stocking.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
shellbackmac said:

A couple of hundred pages of Hellman of Hammer Force, Joe Two Beans, D-Day Dawson, Major Eazy, Rat Pack, Charleys War etc

Loads of memories and worth a tenner of anyones hard earned who were brought up on this fine publication in the late 70's/early 80's. Still can't get my head around that young 'uns today can't buy a trad war comic, Commandos being the only thing that is (thankfully) still available.

Enjoy!
I've got the annual at home with that cover on it

1984 I think

Always pop back for a read now and then

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Werewolf said:
Was there also a comic called Warlord, or is that just senility setting in?
Yep got them aswell and Victor Book for Boys

Seem to remember a story not so long ago about a guy who found a story about his grandad or uncle in an old copy of The Victor. They used to have a colour story on the front and back covers entitled 'A true story of men at war' (the 'true story' bit contained within a grenade emblem for the Army stories, anchor emblem for the matelots and a set of RAF wings for the baggage). Think he found it in a second hand shop and realised the story he was reading was about his relative winning a gallantry award, story confirmed by an older relative ...will google it and see if I can find the dit....

Yep. Used to read Victor avidly. QM's clerk at my Bn has a framed copy in his office. Story all about his dad winning MM in Normandy.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
the_boy_syrup said:
shellbackmac said:

Enjoy!
I've got the annual at home with that cover on it

1984 I think

Always pop back for a read now and then
Nah its 1979, I've got a copy m'sel. 1984 has a cover with a German flak position being attacked by a Hurricane. :D

The Victor - was that the one that had 'The Wolf of Kabul' and "Alf Tupper - the Tough of the Track"?

There were also the Lion and the Tiger - one used to have a cutaway diagram of a different tank every week.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I have the Commando compilation, or at least my brother ( who "borrowed" it does)

I used to have the Victor and Warlord annuals bought from charity shops when I was a kid, some of the stories were very inspirational and, in fact, possibly the reason I signed on. Shame the RAf I joined wasn't the one of heroes.

shellbackmac said:

Enjoy!
Where did you order it from?

Cheers

bangstobleeps said:
shellbackmac said:

Enjoy!
Where did you order it from?
from Amazon mate

Avid Battle and Battle-Action fan when i were a young un, also Commando comics and 2000AD, though that was more to do with the fine art work of alien women in tight fitting costumes :)

Battle comic, later became Battle - Action if I remember, loved Rogue Trooper, also in the Annuals there used to be a story called "The commando they didnt want" about a ex commando falsely accused of cowardice who was sent in disgrace to the Pioneers. Superb!

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Barrack Room Lawyer said:
there used to be a story called "The commando they didnt want" about a ex commando falsely accused of cowardice who was sent in disgrace to the Pioneers. Superb!
Pretty common theme through out all off them
Get busted out of Commando's, Paras,Guards to lessor unit be a hero and preferably save your parent unit and mates

Or if you've a ropey past in the Legion with some German mates you can bet your arms and legs you'll be posted 10 feet away from them on your return to Africa

Barrack Room Lawyer said:
Battle comic, later became Battle - Action if I remember, loved Rogue Trooper, also in the Annuals there used to be a story called "The commando they didnt want" about a ex commando falsely accused of cowardice who was sent in disgrace to the Pioneers. Superb!
Wasn't Rogue Trooper in 2000 AD ?