The best kit ever

Okay, you are in charge of defence procurement, money is no object, you are tasked with coming up with what is to be the ultimate kit and weapon system for use in operations, boots, jackets, headwear, webbing, just for the British Army, What would you come up with? It must be multi functional, must be able to be used in different parts of the world, can be a mix and match, but keeping a national identity as much as you can
Pics are welcome, retailers listed, the whys and what fors. Members can decide who is the winner.

I can't speak for the Army but I'd like to see fricking sharks with lasers for the Navy

Actually, I'd like to see TLAM fitted to the new Type 45 Destroyers-ALL 12 OF THE B@STARDING SHIPS WE WANTED YOU CNUT BLIAR AND........

I'd like the Navy to change the names of the new aircraft carriers if/when we get them. The names chosen are awful for Aircraft Carriers.

I'd like to see at least a dozen Littoral Combat Ships like the yanks are getting

the_matelot said:
I can't speak for the Army but I'd like to see fricking sharks with lasers for the Navy

Actually, I'd like to see TLAM fitted to the new Type 45 Destroyers AND........

I'd like the Navy to change the names of the new aircraft carriers if/when we get them. The names chosen are awful for Aircraft Carriers.

Dont I see that tower on that type 45 in concrete on Portsdown hill each day?
WTF is a TLAM?

Sorry Emptyeye, I went into red mist mode and edited my post.

Aye, you do see the main mast on Portsdown hill each day. Its a very, very good piece of kit and the PAMS (Principle Air Missile System) will be a world leader when it is deployed on the ship.

And I hope the TLAM question is not a Wah (or a Easy! in RN speak!). It stands for Tomahawk Land Attack Missile.

the_matelot said:
Sorry Emptyeye, I went into red mist mode and edited my post.

Aye, you do see the main mast on Portsdown hill each day. Its a very, very good piece of kit and the PAMS (Principle Air Missile System) will be a world leader when it is deployed on the ship.

And I hope the TLAM question is not a Wah (or a Easy! in RN speak!). It stands for Tomahawk Land Attack Missile.
Thought so!
Tomahawk huh?.......*visualising the picture of trying to hit a bloody ginormous target with a wee axe*

Just kidding of course, so what about uniforms? what would you buy and change if anything?

issued cheryl tweedy, for all occasions, mess functions, op duties, doss bag warming, and spunk catcher.

Darthspud said:
Sad , i know, but how about actually issuing Gerber multi-tools.

Leathermens are issued, go and chat your very nice man the RQMS (T), after hes stopped laughing, he might ask you why you want one

Darthspud said:
Only if you are a reg or are sh*gging the q staff
Most units can't get them still
All I will say is, ask the question, he can only say yes, but dont just say you want one coz they are gucci, try the marines too, Im sure they get them as standard, and they are generally black or olive drab.

How about a decent armoured CP - the AFV 43x is at least 50's technology (I've gone all wobbly using that word in this context).

I visited 12 Mech Bde on the plain last year and it was like stepping through a time warp to the Armd Bde I worked on in the 70's. Sure the radios were different and the canvas was newer but FFS!! These things should be consigned to the museum.

Whenever you speak to some person in authority about them they come up with the bog standard reply, which goes something like; 'oh they've fitted a new engine which is really quite good' or 'the lads really like them'

B0££0CKS!! THEY SPEND ALL THEIR TIME SERVICING THE ANCIENT BEASTS WHEN THEY COULD BE SPENDING THEIR TIME DOING SOMETHING WORTHWHILE

I watched the Swede's in action recently (oo'er) and they turned up with a container fitted to a very large truck. It was deployed like a DROPPS (sp?) pallet and the operator pressed two buttons which allowed the container to treble in size. Start the generator and walk in - everything was in place (projector, seats, handsets etc.). Total time to deploy - oh a good 15-20 mins.

If we're after something with a bit of protection (which is something the AFV 436 would love to have) then why didn't they buy more Warrior CPs. It would be good to hear feedback from someone who uses this.

whistler said:
How about a decent armoured CP - the AFV 43x is at least 50's technology (I've gone all wobbly using that word in this context).

I visited 12 Mech Bde on the plain last year and it was like stepping through a time warp to the Armd Bde I worked on in the 70's. Sure the radios were different and the canvas was newer but FFS!! These things should be consigned to the museum.

Whenever you speak to some person in authority about them they come up with the bog standard reply, which goes something like; 'oh they've fitted a new engine which is really quite good' or 'the lads really like them'

B0££0CKS!! THEY SPEND ALL THEIR TIME SERVICING THE ANCIENT BEASTS WHEN THEY COULD BE SPENDING THEIR TIME DOING SOMETHING WORTHWHILE

I watched the Swede's in action recently (oo'er) and they turned up with a container fitted to a very large truck. It was deployed like a DROPPS (sp?) pallet and the operator pressed two buttons which allowed the container to treble in size. Start the generator and walk in - everything was in place (projector, seats, handsets etc.). Total time to deploy - oh a good 15-20 mins.

If we're after something with a bit of protection (which is something the AFV 436 would love to have) then why didn't they buy more Warrior CPs. It would be good to hear feedback from someone who uses this.
Maybe its time for a fresh new look, take the best from other APC's globally, get a brit firm to make a few, do we need an armoured taxi? another SAXON type veh, but tracked?? has to be able to mix and match from CP to driver training to something recce can maybe use?
I must admit, driver training is best done ...driving...not a in a big PS2, but Im old fashioned...as always, open to ideas

An annual equipment allowance to permit the purchase of off the shelf commercial kit like softie sleeping bags, softie jackets & decent boots. Let's be honest, if the MOD try and procure this equipment for us, they'll try and do a one-item-covers-all-eventualities job, which is clearly stupid, as the lads will always go and buy the right kit for the job in hand. For example, I have separate Softies 3, 6, 12 and 18 depending on where I'm going. I'm not lugging a bouncing bomb when I don't bloody have to. I also have 6 different pairs of boots for different climates/conditions. Other than that and my softie jacket and of course lifa tops, the kit I use is pretty much all standard issue kit. Most of the clothing & equipment we are now issued is very good multipurpose (or it is at least capable of being modified or adapted to be fit for purpose). But I don't seriously consider it likely that the MOD will ever issue us a range of boots or sleeping bags which really come up to scratch to cover the spectrum of climatic conditions likely to be endured. Far better to recognise this fact, save money and waste, and give the lads an allowance to procure their own. (Even the PRI's a winner!)

Oh, wait one. Nomex coveralls for vehicle crews in Basra!

sniper9 said:
issued cheryl tweedy, for all occasions, mess functions, op duties, doss bag warming, and spunk catcher.
Good call that man!