The best chocolate in the world......an Easter thread.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Before we get going - yes I have done a search

I studied this thread : https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/how-shit-is-cadbury-chocolate.195229/

- but it doesn't fit the bill. Mods please feel free to re-allocate as you deem appropriate.

Been chatting chocolate with Canadian pal online, after telling her I'd bought a Bourneville Easter egg for myself. Why ? 'Cos I can.

( We have already addressed the whole -' It's not the same since they sold out ' fol-de-rol , so please don't bother again here.)

1617377882392.png

We got into Cadbury's + Other Choco I Have Et....- she sent me this : Chocolate Shop | Chocolate Store

The convo:

Goats: Looks good- I had to look up gianduja tho.....sounds like praline to me..... I've had perfectly acceptable choco in both France and Germany....Lindt is probably the best known Swiss firm.

CanuckPal : I used to love them ... until I had an entirely traumatic experience with a Christmas Advent calendar from them that involved an earwig

Goats: Lindt? or Purdy's ?.... Lindt's head chocolatier would have to commit ritual suicide if anyone found an insect in a Lindt advent calendar :-D

CP: Lindt! I gleefully opened a door in my calendar early one morning and an Australian earwig crawled out

So, choc-holics......not being much of a true gourmet, I don't really know the lesser Swiss companies, although I 'spose we have to mention mega giant Nestlé at some point.

Had some good stuff from Super-U (ownbrand) back in the day and some definitely moreish German Schokolade from a little shop in Dusseldorf, and the just awful Choco-banane things from the JHQ Spar but beyond that....

What's in your hand-written meticulously kept ' Chocolate Log ' ?

European perspective welcome @fairmaidofperth @harrythebastard @Bodenplatte ?

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Steer clear of Belgium then - next ?

I studied this thread : https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/how-shit-is-cadbury-chocolate.195229/

- but it doesn't fit the bill. Mods please feel free to re-allocate as you deem appropriate.

Been chatting chocolate with Canadian pal online, after telling her I'd bought a Bourneville Easter egg for myself. Why ? 'Cos I can.

( We have already addressed the whole -' It's not the same since they sold out ' fol-de-rol , so please don't bother again here.)

View attachment 562054
We got into Cadbury's + Other Choco I Have Et....- she sent me this : Chocolate Shop | Chocolate Store

The convo:

Goats: Looks good- I had to look up gianduja tho.....sounds like praline to me..... I've had perfectly acceptable choco in both France and Germany....Lindt is probably the best known Swiss firm.

CanuckPal : I used to love them ... until I had an entirely traumatic experience with a Christmas Advent calendar from them that involved an earwig

Goats: Lindt? or Purdy's ?.... Lindt's head chocolatier would have to commit ritual suicide if anyone found an insect in a Lindt advent calendar :-D

CP: Lindt! I gleefully opened a door in my calendar early one morning and an Australian earwig crawled out

So, choc-holics......not being much of a true gourmet, I don't really know the lesser Swiss companies.

Had some good stuff from Super-U (ownbrand) back in the day and some definitely moreish German Schokolade from a little shop in Dusseldorf, and the just awful Choco-banane things from the JHQ Spar but beyond that....

If you like dark chocolate you can try Domori an Italian company, Claudio Corallo or Fresco from the United States. These are the more "pricey" ones.
In the more reasonable priced segment GEPA and Vivani are ok.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
American Choco is universally gross, so no thanks.

Is GEPA the firm that makes the Móser-Roth stuff we get here in Aldi and Lidl ?

triggerigger

On ROPS
On ROPs
IMG-20210401-WA0004.jpeg

Possibly not as good as the sea salt and nut one they do at the airport

philc

LE
Its said that Turino has some of the best chocolate in the world, not being a connoisseur I could not say, but they do have some lovely looking Chocolate shops.

Little known fact, I used to grow hazelnuts on a mass scale and they were sold on to Ferrero Rocher, so your wives or girlfrinds may of munched my nuts.

Ritter sports.. I got a taste of these lovely chocolate bars when in BAOR. Home bargains sometimes have them but only a few flavors. Coming back from Nuremberg a few years ago, my hand baggage was a carrier bag with one of every flavour, 24 in all.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
There’s a little place down the road from me called Kennedy’s.

It’s a very small artisan chocolate factory with a cafe attached.

They make the chocolates for BA first class.

You go in and choose a box of 12, 20, 48 etc. and pick your own.

It’s very good.

About 5 minutes off J38 of the M6 if you’re ever passing by.

Lidl Fin Carré is usually good stuff, this however;
C903214A-81A4-4C41-8706-CB3527956DDC.jpeg

apparently, is Galaxy, therefore gopping. Available from Amazon if you want to disgust someone...

View attachment 562054

The convo:

So, choc-holics......not being much of a true gourmet, I don't really know the lesser Swiss companies, although I 'spose we have to mention mega giant Nestlé at some point.

1617383293836.png

Enjoy your Easter you sophisticated person!
But honestly I am hoping to get an Easter Bottle and not candy this year...

For what it's worth rather like Green & Blacks.

Yokel

LE
I don't like cocoa-flavoured lard.

You prefer unflavoured lard?

fatlard-snack-for-vodka-on-a-white-plate-is-a-composition-of-pickles-red-onions-fried-bread-and-garlicdelicious-sliced-pork-fat-with-onion-and-2D0X6CR.jpg

Yes - that really is sliced lard, intended for consumption.

Anyway nobody have ever used pork fat in chocolate, so back on thread: Is anyone having a nice Gaytime?

1613019752878_7f0fbfb57396e830bb64af9cf2f5440a.jpeg

Maybe of you gave up Gaytimes for Lent it is now time to enjoy as many Gaytimes as you like.

The_Poltroon

Old-Salt
Lived in Australia for many years.

The place is a bit of a cultural desert and not really worth visiting.

Despite the fact most of it has been dug up and exported to China nowadays and what bits haven't yet are either on fire or flooded they do some reasonable chocolate bars and I produce a Cadburys Cherry Ripe as exhibit TP1.

cr.jpg

American Choco is universally gross, so no thanks.

Is GEPA the firm that makes the Móser-Roth stuff we get here in Aldi and Lidl ?

Hersheys is disgusting, as are many of the types of Cadbury chocolate confection they produce and distribute here in't US.

bournvile still tastes good to me. my grandma bought me a bar as a kid and that was it. the old jamaica they've remade this last few months is gopping mind - no where near as nice as it used to be. and I just can't get on with green and blacks or lindt - my taste is all in my mouth but chocolate should be sweet, not bitter as fcuk. I'm bitter enough already.

I have loved chocolate in my life - and will still have one piece if offered - but savoury does it for me now and can go years without eating it.
I will always buy good chocolate for people I care about and love it - and this is worth a try

My daughters and nieces love it - can't argue with that.

I have loved chocolate in my life - and will still have one piece if offered - but savoury does it for me now and can go years without eating it.
I will always buy good chocolate for people I care about and love it - and this is worth a try

My daughters and nieces love it - can't argue with that.
The owner of that Company is the brother of an ex RE Lt Col.
Very nice chocolate.

Latest Threads