The best book on guerilla warfare/insurgency?

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by bloodgroup_o+, Jul 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi was wondering what you old and bold would recommend reading on the above subject? Not including vietnam which saturates the subject a bit. I just watched the Battle of Algiers and was looking for something of the same ilk.
  2. I would recommend "War of the Flea" by Robert Taber. Written a while ago, but still insightful stuff.

Also try "Bunch of Fives" by Gen Sir Frank Kitson. Same drills.
  3. much thanks
  4. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Gangs and Countergangs, also by Frank Kitson, or, 'Warfare as a whole' by him too. Alternatively 'British Perspectives on Terrorism' by Paul Wilkinson. Any book by Richard Clutterbuck will help too.
  5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Modern view: "Learning to eat soup with a knife" - John Nagl. US, he's a bright chap, visited Afghanistan many times (let alone his time in Iraq) and talks sense.

Older view (and very interesting as well): "The jungle is neutral" - F Spencer Chapman DSO. Fighting the Japs in the jungles of Malaya. Astonishing stuff.
  6. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

7. War of the Running Dogs by Noel Barber

Malaya 48-60
  8. 'The Jungle Beat"
    A tough book on the Malayan Emergency Campaign. It tells the story with no holds barred: war as war is. A compelling reminder of deep jungle operations.' General Sir Peter de la Billiere 'A lively, accurate and exciting record of "One Man's War".
  9. a book i read which is along the lines but with a twist is ! summary justice by s.j michaels !! an RUC man gets revenge!
  10. Sonshi's book is a good one, bit ancient and you need a good grasp of certain oriental languages to really get between the lines.

Hippies and other liberal Walts will know it as Sun Tzu's "The Art of Gwar".

For all wannabe mil types or warrior wallahs, piece of advice..

"know yourself before you chat up the enemy's/enemies/enemas sister"

Oh! And read the books these lads have mentioned.
  11. The Accidental Guerrilla: Fighting Small Wars in the Midst of a Big One by David Kilcullen

Quite an interesting book indeed. This Aussie was the adviser to Gen. Petraeus in Iraq.
  12. Lucretia

Lucretia Old-Salt Book Reviewer

I've just found a Penguin reprint of 'Yank' Levy's wartime classic - Guerrilla Warfare. It's full of ideas as to what to do if the Hun invades, and how to use natural cunning to defeat him. In between the staggering optimism and the unintentional humour there are interesting and, I would assume, practical descriptions of the various methods of Geurillaring, and where the author has used them, including how to take out a tank. But I've got to admit it makes me smile with its boy scout patrotism:

"If you happen to be standing in a ditch or behind a tree, and you have some kind of grenade or bomb in your hand, and a car comes by with enemy officers, driven by even your best friend, you must let them have it. It is what your best friend would wish you to do. And if any of the Britishers driving enemy officers are doing it willingly, all the better- it is one more Quisling the less."

"Always try to take a sentry from the rear. But if you must take him from the front, never hold your gun up against his tummy and tell him to put his hands up..."

Yank himself recommends learning tactics from T E Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom, the Soviet forces under Stalin, and Ernest Hemmingway.
  13. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

14. Gureilla days in Ireland by Tom Barry

fascinating story about a flying column-

and he was an Ex British Soldier to boot.