The best and the worst!!

#1
hello all

I am starting my basic training at Pirbright next month, i am joining the RLC so thought i should introduce myself on this part of the forum, but i was also after abit of insight into army life in the RLC, i have been looking through the threads using the search button and i have seen alot like best and worst regiment etc... but cannot see one thats along the lines best and worst moments so thought i would start one to try and gain abit of insight, there are obviously things you cant mention due to opsec but i would appreciate any fond or bad memories you may have !!

I am obviously only just starting out but my best memory so far would have to be passing selection and the worst was waiting around for a date for basic.
 
#3
best= getting back from the football after a convincing 3-1 win for the rovers
wortst= reading this
 
#4
Best - Joining a Corps with it's own history and traditions

Worst - Being amalgamated into the RLC :D
 
#5
saintstone said:
Best - Joining a Corps with it's own history and traditions

Worst - Being amalgamated into the RLC :D

Yawn... bore off with the old sweat pish, Its been that way for 16 years now get over it. Im sure If you were that anti- RLC you'd have binned it by now.
 
#6
archron said:
saintstone said:
Best - Joining a Corps with it's own history and traditions

Worst - Being amalgamated into the RLC :D

Yawn... bore off with the old sweat pish, Its been that way for 16 years now get over it. Im sure If you were that anti- RLC you'd have binned it by now.
I did, back in 94 :D And apparently nothing has changed since, other than the fact that it's got worse, judging by the amount of gripes on Arrse about the RLC
 
#7
saintstone said:
archron said:
saintstone said:
Best - Joining a Corps with it's own history and traditions

Worst - Being amalgamated into the RLC :D

Yawn... bore off with the old sweat pish, Its been that way for 16 years now get over it. Im sure If you were that anti- RLC you'd have binned it by now.
I did, back in 94 :D And apparently nothing has changed since, other than the fact that it's got worse, judging by the amount of gripes on Arrse about the RLC
Knob!!! The RLC are doing a lot of good work, there is good and bad in every corps/regiment...the majority of gripes on here are by tossers who have nothing better to say!!!
 
#8
macscruff said:
saintstone said:
archron said:
saintstone said:
Best - Joining a Corps with it's own history and traditions

Worst - Being amalgamated into the RLC :D

Yawn... bore off with the old sweat pish, Its been that way for 16 years now get over it. Im sure If you were that anti- RLC you'd have binned it by now.
I did, back in 94 :D And apparently nothing has changed since, other than the fact that it's got worse, judging by the amount of gripes on Arrse about the RLC
Knob!!! The RLC are doing a lot of good work, there is good and bad in every corps/regiment...the majority of gripes on here are by tossers who have nothing better to say!!!
Fcuk me, you lot bite easy, I take it that the smiley in my first post wasn't an indication as to the humour intended on this subject, lighten up will ya.
 
#9
well based on all of the above i think i have my insight !!
 
#10
Hiya, I'm a visitor, from Sappers, but I thought this was relevant to the thread.

I went to the 22 year dine out of 2 RLC WO1s last night, I don't really know them but I like a good dine out.

I'd just like to say that the scran was some of the best I've had at a dinner night and I've been a Sgts' Mess Member since 1993.

Smoked duck starter, monkfish next, tequila/herby shot in lieu of sorbet, chateaubriand and marmite potatoes for main, baileys cheesecake, port, cheese and coffee.

Some well thought out speeches, lots of leg-pulling and humour and an appropriate amount of sentiment.

Well done and good luck to the 2 RLC blokes (both heavily to blame (or thank) for PAYD, apparently).

Who said Army cooks can't chef? (Apart from me at every available opportunity!!!!!!)
 
#11
macscruff said:
Knob!!! The RLC are doing a lot of good work, there is good and bad in every corps/regiment...the majority of gripes on here are by tossers who have nothing better to say!!!
Shame our corps seems to have the monopoly off the bad then. Still as long as we have our TRFs showing, that all that matters.
 
#12
macscruff said:
Knob!!! The RLC are doing a lot of good work, there is good and bad in every corps/regiment...the majority of gripes on here are by tossers who have nothing better to say!!!
Fucking hell, you still alive old man?
 

Bowmore_Assassin

MIA
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#13
stacker1 said:
macscruff said:
Knob!!! The RLC are doing a lot of good work, there is good and bad in every corps/regiment...the majority of gripes on here are by tossers who have nothing better to say!!!
Shame our corps seems to have the monopoly off the bad then. Still as long as we have our TRFs showing, that all that matters.
Stacker1, not being into the politics of who is who on ARRSE, can I ask if you are serving (I assume you are or based on your name you have served)? If you are serving, and you have that opinion, bit sad really and what are you doing to sort it out ?

If you are not serving, what are you basing your comments on ? Seriously, I am genuinely interested - I am not trolling or looking for a slagging match.

Fact is, Macscruff is right. On ops and elsewhere, RLC soldiers are doing great stuff - fact. So, given your view, I would be genuinely interested in knowing where you think the RLC are going wrong (OPSEC ack). Believe me, if I think your points are valid, I can and will pass them onto the right people who have the ability to change things. I am all for constructive crticism, so fire away.

A final note - no org is perfect but the word on the street, according to many friends and colleagues (many of whom have been on ops in Iraq and AFG) is the RLC are stand up people who do the best they can and do it well. Oh, on my last deployment in 2008, which was not in a Brit CoC, when I asked, the RLC were doing well...



Over to you.
 
#14
Bowmore_Assassin said:
Stacker1, not being into the politics of who is who on ARRSE, can I ask if you are serving (I assume you are or based on your name you have served)? If you are serving, and you have that opinion, bit sad really and what are you doing to sort it out ?
Yes I am serving, I based it on turning up for PT lessons and seeing between 30 and 50% of soldier apparently on the sick yet are miraculousy cured for AT and sports.
I base it on the number of fat bastards we have wobbling around the Corps, the same fat bastards who have the gold plated sick chit yet think nothing of volunteering the toms for every shit job under the sun.
I base it on fit soldiers being taking off courses to go on exercises while a downgraded soldier goes on the course instead.
I base it on downgraded soldier getting the cushy jobs (and sometimes the acting rank and pay that goes with it) while the fit soldiers get hit with all the work.
I base it on going to battle camps and having to listen to people who get their soldiering skill from the bumper book of soldiering advice written by a Mr W. Mitty, usually to the amusement of the infantry regiment who are on the same camp.
I base it on gobshites going on about strength and aggression when they are waffling on about being a soldier first yet when you suggest doing some milling suddenly the majority crawl up their own arses.

Theres more but I thought that would do for now.
Thats at more than one main loggie regiment.
As well as trying to protect the toms from the shit from above I brought up some of those points to the DRLC, as well as numerous officers below him.
 
R

really?_fascinating

Guest
#15
stacker - yeah, course you did. Perhaps you are a bit of a one trick pony. Fit, but mince. With awesome (but unproven) soldiering skills. Could it be that you are not getting courses because, shock, you might be a bit of a whinging dick?

Did not see any mention of the performance of the RLC on operations - is that because - A. You have been on tour and thought we all did a good job? or B. Have not been on tour, therefore have no experience.

Not seen one positive post from you on here, ever - in the 4063 times you have posted that is. Maybe it is you that might be in the wrong job, not every one else? Just a thought.
 
#16
really?_fascinating said:
stacker - yeah, course you did. Perhaps you are a bit of a one trick pony. Fit, but mince. With awesome (but unproven) soldiering skills. Could it be that you are not getting courses because, shock, you might be a bit of a whinging dick?

Did not see any mention of the performance of the RLC on operations - is that because - A. You have been on tour and thought we all did a good job? or B. Have not been on tour, therefore have no experience.

Not seen one positive post from you on here, ever - in the 4063 times you have posted that is. Maybe it is you that might be in the wrong job, not every one else? Just a thought.
Course I did what? Do you think I'm making it up about telling the DRLC? I just happen to know his female Adjutant has a hotmail address then? And that she didn't give me her card with the hotmail address on so I could continue with any conplaint that I had, You might be a spineless wonder but I not bothered about a brigadiers rank.
I said toms not getting the courses, I'm okay but then I'm not a jack bastard and I'd rather the toms that bother their arse to apply for a course and keep their fitness up should be rewarded rather than fat bastards who who contribute nothing.

Oh oh oh let me tell you about my adventures in the FOBs. They wanted two people to go, I volunteered but was told I had not got the experiance in rank, so someone else was chosen, this someone had been in the rank a while and had just been promoted but was not wearing as soon as he found out he was going the laminated sick chit came out. I went instead. What a shining example of the RLC. Do some of the RLC do well on tour? Yes of course. Do a large amount do **** all even when you get them on tour. Yes that right as well, nothing like having some fat twat whos sat on their arse in an air con office for months bollocking an infanteer whos just flown out of the FOB because his hair is longer than it should be.
Want some more examples of fat RLC bastards? How about people who have gone from tom to sgt but have been fat and downgraded the whole time? These same people then write reports on junior downgraded and fat bastards but for some reason don't draw attention to the fact they can deploy/do execises do PT.
The only full screw in my sqn to come of the sgt board was fat and downgraded the only four L/Cpls to come of the Cpl board in my sqn had been on remedial PT for at least 6 months for constantly failing their PFT, 4 out of 6 ptes who came of the L/Cpl board have received an extra 6 months (on top of the normal year) to do their PNCO course because they are downgraded.
Pretty sure I might have posted the the odd positive post, but I'm fucked if I'm going to pretend all is well with the Corps.
Maybe you would like to address any of my points or are you going to point out that 1 RlC bod did something great on tour while completely ignoring the 3 lazy bastard who do nothing?
 
#17
Your Sqn's problems don't sound like a Corps failing, more like a management failing at unit level. I know of downgraded personnel who have deployed several times and have worked tirelessly to get the job done.

It seems you're tarring all downgraded personnel with the same brush, I'm currently P3 and resent a lot of the comments you have made.
 
#18
strima said:
Your Sqn's problems don't sound like a Corps failing, more like a management failing at unit level. I know of downgraded personnel who have deployed several times and have worked tirelessly to get the job done.

It seems you're tarring all downgraded personnel with the same brush, I'm currently P3 and resent a lot of the comments you have made.
It not just my sqn, Its nearly every sqn Ive ever served with, If you are downgraded and geniunely putting the effort in then its unfortunate that you get tarred with the same brush, But do you really believe that so many are really downgraded, we are not the SAS/Paras/normal infantry, our injuries are rarely combat related so why are there so many biffs? Is it because its easier to be on the sick than it is to be fit?
I find it amazing that a biff chits get you out of guard/PT/exercises but you can represent the Corps at sports.
 
R

really?_fascinating

Guest
#19
stacker. Not getting into a battle of wits with an unarmed man. Good luck with the blinkered bigotry.

As Bowmore said - what are you doing about it?
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top