The Benefits (or Otherwise) of a United States of Europe

Funny how your imagination is so active in other areas. Have a bash, go on....think of anything that may have happened in the none too distant past.
World war 3 and an apocalyptic pestilence?

Ok, I assume you mean that there are checks and balances which prevent a fruit loop starting WW3? - hopefully
Americans who are authorised to end the world carry a card with them at all times. It bears some sort of code that identifies the holder. Jimmy Carter once left his in his jacket pocket when his suit got sent to the cleaners. Secret Service had to break in to the shop at night to retrieve the card.

Presumably people other than the President have a card, in case the President is out of contact, dead or busy tweeting. I would think that there must also be some sort of majority voting scheme to deal with the mad President / Dr Strangelove scenario.

Americans who are authorised to end the world carry a card with them at all times. It bears some sort of code that identifies the holder. Jimmy Carter once left his in his jacket pocket when his suit got sent to the cleaners. Secret Service had to break in to the shop at night to retrieve the card.

Presumably people other than the President have a card, in case the President is out of contact, dead or busy tweeting. I would think that there must also be some sort of majority voting scheme to deal with the mad President / Dr Strangelove scenario.
God (other deities are available)you would hope so.

The advent of nuclear weapons means he can order a nuclear strike when he pleases, at least theoretically. I'd imagine that a random nuking order to the military would result in a coup though
Im sure if he wanted to, he could sign a presidential order requiring all gingers to be tarred and feathered, but others get a say.
Contrary to popular opinion, Potus doesn’t have a big red ‘Press to blow up the world’ button on his desk.

D

Deleted 145301

Im sure if he wanted to, he could sign a presidential order requiring all gingers to be tarred and feathered, but others get a say.
Contrary to popular opinion, Potus doesn’t have a big red ‘Press to blow up the world’ button on his desk.
More of a soldier following him around with a Samsonite

D

Deleted 145301

Ok, I assume you mean that there are checks and balances which prevent a fruit loop starting WW3? - hopefully
Yes, that is my hope.

Mental illness episodes can affect anyone. If Trump or any PotUS decided he wanted to launch the nukes in a fit of madness, it would be nice to think that the services wouldn't unthinkingly carry out such a fit of madness

Why do only truly stupid people make a big thing of the war mongering capabilities of the Prez when a. They've never said anything about other blokes with the same powers. B. They know little about the checks and balances involved. C. They are retarded.

<Sigh> You're as informed on this as you are on other subjects. It's got as much democratic deficiency as the UK. HoL is full of apparatchiks and I don't see them being culled.

It's been done to death and this is just another thread for those scared of the non existent bogeyman. It's killing the site as it becomes a single subject shriek of pure pish.
Indeed. The sole purpose of this thread appears to be to create a straw-bogeyman in order to attack it. What a waste of bandwidth.

World war 3 and an apocalyptic pestilence?
Neither have happened in the recent past to my knowledge. I could have slept through them mind.

Neither have happened in the recent past to my knowledge. I could have slept through them mind.
Really?

But very clever folk in the remain team assured us that a vote for brexit would attract a meteorite to smite the world and tear our civilization's cloth asunder.

You don't sleep through that sort of thing.

But remainer bed wetting aside, what do you think could have happened?

Really?

But very clever folk in the remain team assured us that a vote for brexit would attract a meteorite to smite the world and tear our civilization's cloth asunder.

You don't sleep through that sort of thing.

But remainer bed wetting aside, what do you think could have happened?

Indeed, all that stockpiling and prepping for the post BREXIT apocalypse and… nothing.

I demand a revote! Maybe we'll get the End of Days next time!

Indeed, all that stockpiling and prepping for the post BREXIT apocalypse and… nothing.

I demand a revote! Maybe we'll get the End of Days next time!
Late 2015 I put everything in canned food and shotguns.

I was up 20%.

Does that mean somebody else was down by 20%?

They must have been fuming.

And pretty stupid.

Has there been a large European war since 1945?
Which is nothing to do with the EEC or the EU and everything to do with an external threat and NATO. Nobody was dumb enough to have an outbreak of "Are you looking funny at my steelworks" when there was a big bad neighbour who was still loudly proclaiming their willingness to bury the West into the 80s.

D

Deleted 145301

Which is nothing to do with the EEC or the EU and everything to do with an external threat and NATO. Nobody was dumb enough to have an outbreak of "Are you looking funny at my steelworks" when there was a big bad neighbour who was still loudly proclaiming their willingness to bury the West into the 80s.
Cooperative economic development and a lengthy period of prosperity has played it's part, no matter how much you wish it wasn't so

Cooperative economic development and a lengthy period of prosperity has played it's part, no matter how much you wish it wasn't so
Really, so what did the EEC contribute to peace in say Poland and Hungary in 1947-89?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
As @FORMER_FYRDMAN pointed out in another thread, the remain side are keen on pointing out the short term benefits of the EU; "if we leave the single market, we lose X, Y and Z".

They seem unwilling to discuss where the EU will be in five to ten years time, whether it will have become more federalist in nature and how Britain's relationship with the rest of the EU will have been affected by those changes.

It's a bit like being transported back to April 1912 with full knowledge of the future. Do you book a passage on the Titanic knowing its got excellent food, luxurious cabins and a 21 knot top speed, but also knowing its going to hit the iceberg?

Or do you book a passage on the Carpathia, with less comfortable cabins, a slightly lower standard of food and a fourteen knot top speed, but secure in the knowledge you'll reach your final destination unharmed.

I know what ship I'd book on.

Wordsmith

Edited to correct date - see @Berlin_104s post after this one...

Duh... :oops:

Last edited:

Latest Threads