The benefits of a university education are being eroded

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Speedy, Jun 6, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Doubtful that even with my degree, I'll earn £200k in my lifetime... I'm sat here pi$$ing time away at uni for the sake of promotion prospects when/if the dreaded Staff appointments loom (long way off.) I don't think those pretty figures apply to the Green World, do they?! Thing is, now every man and his hund are taking degrees, it means that those of us who are tired of reading and want to crack on with learning to be an officer have to spend three years to be at the same level as those who want a SSC simply to make their CV look poshe. Getting stuck in with a decaffinated (as RTFQ puts it) version is all well and good - but TA only takes up the weekends and one night a week. The rest of the time I'm stuck amongst leftie shites dope-smoking their way to a BA in underwater basketweaving. The trend for more people to go for degrees in my view aint a good thing - how much of the increase can be attributed to mickey mouse degrees?

2. Hear Hear Sarnian - Lets go back to how it wasd 30 or 40 years ago - only clever fckers that were going to become doctors, lawyers and other things that actually need a degree goto uni, the rest of us crack on and have some fun - away from the dope smoking leftie cnuts!

3. The benefits of a university education are being eroded ?

I think that really depends on what your studying, how hard you study, and what your final grade is.
    I know plenty of film students whose course consisted of them writing reviews for films like batman or the wizard of oz…. a degree worthy of creating a successful career after graduation? I think not.
    Then there’s the goons who do degrees in Klingon or basket weaving, again worthless degrees.
    But the degrees with a purpose, computers, law, business, etc. I know from my own experience and from my friends that those of us who grain real degrees with good grades tend to be more successful than those who slacked at uni, studied something worthless, or who didn’t go to uni.

4. Could be explained somewhat by the fact that employers who cannot, due to employment regulations, advertise for "the right class of applicant" use a "third level education" as a requirement to ensure they don't get too many applicants from council estates.

Look through your paper's employment section and you'll see such stipulation for positions such as "office juniors", receptionists and even retail positions.

Surprisingly I've noticed within the local Health Trust many of the administrative and clerical positions advertised stipulate "3rd level educated". When realistically a good command of English and an R.S.A would probably be the height of the requirements.

It's a politically correct way of saying "No oiks/chavs/bumpkins need apply" used by employers who either want to project a certain image or simply don't want to mix with "common folk". The wages reflect the actual requirements of the position rather than the artufical ones and therefor lower the mean wage for graduates.

5. Interesting that 'engineering' doesn't figure in that report. I don't count 'programming' in that field, mind.

6. To my eyes things haven't changed at all. A traditional degree from a traditional University in something useful to humanity still commands a premium - such as engineering, my field of expertise.

However, go to a former poly and get some McDegree in something woolly with "Studies" in the title and you will not make any more money. What has changed is that jobs which used to ask for A-levels now ask for a degree as the people who used to leave school post A-levels now carry on to get a degree.

If I had my time again though I'd do carpentry and plumbing, with a bit of brick laying on the side.

7. In the IT field many companies will take the McQualification over a degree, due to the more practical course content.

But as you say traditional degrees applied to jibs which traditionally required a degree are paying comparatively the same as they always did.

Lies, damned lies and statistics as they say.

8. Don't forget the "ologies" such as socialolgy, etc. Totally pointless.

The whole education system is being dumbed down. In the future every one will have A++++++++ GCSE's and every one will have a degree. The fact they will mean nothing will not be recognised.

The majority of kids at GCSE level need to be getting C's and D's. Otherwise the kids that do well by working hard or are just bright are not treated fairly. There should be no need to invent higher grades than A, maybe an A+ to indicate a 95-100% pass.

No C = no A levels. and so on.

Kids today are brainwashed in to believing that with a degree you are ok. A mates sister only this last friday wondered how people without masters degrees cope with affording houses!!! Didn't have the heart to tell her many ex students are up to the eyeballs in debt and are, as a consequence, worse off than those who didn't go to uni. In fact she is up to her eyeballs in debt, and is trying to buy a house, but is finding it very hard to get on the first rung of the property ladder!!!! With a mortgage of £400 per month out of reach for her and her beau.

Or the other classic line. You go to Uni for the life experience. What?! You go for the degree. If you want life experience get a job, join the army or navy or go travelling.

Or even better the believe, and I have heard it said, that failing exams or getting low grades degrades the children, that they should always pass.

Only the best should get degrees, instead of all this social engineering the government are trying they should look seriously at the grant schemes and such.

My pet project is that a pennyless orphan who gets 3 A's at A level should get the money to allow him to go on to uni, and that a rich gimp who gets ds can still go, but pays for the lot.

9. Do a Masters before they end up being devalued as well.

There are plenty of 1-year courses and anyone who has been in the military (and therefore used to hard work) and who has the required intelligence plus a bit of common sense should find one straightforward.

10. Could I just ad that attempting to value an education in terms of the wage you earn post is incredibly gauche?

I'll get my coat.

11. Whilst I agree with this particular point to some extent I do think it is sensible for people to consider beforehand what the potential outcome of their investment of time & energy in their education could be. Saves a lot of heartache etc. afterwards.

lancslad