Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The beginning of the end for the Thai monarchy?

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
Or they could have learned from the sixties when Harold Wilson cut off all the sales of spares to said Saladins and Ferrets during Confrontation
A friend of mine told me about the glass ceiling too.

He also told me about the ‘English’ fish and chip shop just round the corner- so both cuisine AND scenery!

However he prefers Nana as it’s staggering distance from where he stays.

Joking aside, I was like a rabbit in headlights when I first went there. But lots of actual friends started making excuses to visit and I soon got very bored of the whole nightlife thing.
Nana plaza was staggering distance from the UK embassy compound.... and soi cowboy as well . A coincidence, surely?

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
In view of the savage media driven criticism the King has just appointed a pair of highly trained media consultants to boost his image

View attachment 513645
The locals are charmed by Harry and Meghan and their woke appeals to love each other

1603226243869.png

Fascinating point about the ethnic/racial divide, I had no idea that existed. If I am not wrong the same situation portends in the Philippines, where the whiter-skinned Chinese/Spanish ethnic group still holds most of the reins of political and economic influence.

You seem rather unimpressed by Thaksin and I can understand why his opponents so disliked him, but is it not fair to say that his base had good reason for supporting him? Even if he was a bit of a spendthrift populist, at least he was doing something for the people at the bottom of the heap.

Thaksin was into vote buying in a big way. His base in the Isan, the dark-skinned ones revered him and his sister,

A coincidence.

I was located near there for access to the sky train and the expressway.

Honest :)

A fair number of diplomatic missions are in that area.

The British Embassy was sold and our embassy in now in some office block, IIRC?.

Last edited:

The British embassy was sold and our embassy in now in some office block, IIRC?.

The last time I visited the Embassy they had just sold the big garden to the front. But it wouldn’t surprise me.

That was one of the most valuable undeveloped bits of land in Bangkok.

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
Thaksin was into vote buying in a big way. His base in the Isan, the dark-skinned ones revered him and his sister,
All Thai politicians bought votes. Once bought, fair play, people would vote for you. Thaksin- the radical- would also supply electricity and a tv and/or a fridge to a village. That was more than the rural poor farmers had had from a politician before.

It's over 20 years at this stage, and Chinese New Year is a popular and well-celebrated holiday now. Like I say above, I think the Chinese themselves would be the first to admit they bring a lot of the trouble on themselves, not the poor little shophouse owner or trader trying to make a bit of a living for his family, and who suffers when the aggro starts, but the phenomenally wealthy and grotesquely corrupt, for the most part, rentier tycoons.

Time flies. I was very surprised there's no real sign the Dutch were ever there. No signs in Dutch, and I would imagine very few Dutch speakers around.

French has a lingering presence in Indo-China, and English is everywhere in Malaysia, but not the Dutch language in Indo.

All Thai politicians bought votes. Once bought, fair play, people would vote for you. Thaksin- the radical- would also supply electricity and a tv and/or a fridge to a village. That was more than the rural poor farmers had had from a politician before.

But in doing so he was perceived as cutting into the popular support for Rama 9, as part of the royalist narrative was how much the old king was revered in the countryside.

Back to the red/yellow shirt story...

The last time I visited the Embassy they had just sold the big garden to the front. But it wouldn’t surprise me.

That was one of the most valuable undeveloped bits of land in Bangkok.

It was in the BKK Post (IIRC) that HMG were going to flog off the whole site a while back.

The Embassy garden looked good. A shame to see it go.

Time flies. I was very surprised there's no real sign the Dutch were ever there. No signs in Dutch, and I would imagine very few Dutch speakers around.

French has a lingering presence in Indo-China, and English is everywhere in Malaysia, but not the Dutch language in Indo.

French only has a lingering presence in indochina because the French subsidise ‘Francophonie’ to an enormous extent.

When I was first in Laos we were told the French were donating fax machines on the understanding that they would only be used to send French language faxes.

Just before I arrived in Cambodia in 98 the French had built and donated a medical university: all courses would be taught in French. Potential students demonstrated, as there were very very few French speakers left, especially amongst the younger generation. Several were shot by the Cambodian security forces.

The only French speakers I’ve met were former refugees who had come home. I’ve met more who were sent (via the Vietnamese occupiers) to learn ‘fraternal’ languages like Russian, German or even Hungarian.

Bardeyai

Old-Salt

The British embassy was sold and our embassy in now in some office block, IIRC?.
All gone. No one wanted to lose the compound but vast sums were offered. I have heard the new office block was in an unappealing part of town but I’ve no idea.

Bardeyai

Old-Salt

Is English everywhere in Malaysia? The Straits Times in Singapore enjoys telling stories about their neighbours. One they relished was an old Grandpa in a Kampong bewailing that none of his adult grandkids could speak English, whereas he had learned it as a child so he could read the English language comics. Deliberate Malaysian Government policy according to the Singaporeans.

A friend of mine told me about the glass ceiling too.

He also told me about the ‘English’ fish and chip shop just round the corner- so both cuisine AND scenery!

However he prefers Nana as it’s staggering distance from where he stays.

Joking aside, I was like a rabbit in headlights when I first went there. But lots of actual friends started making excuses to visit and I soon got very bored of the whole nightlife thing.

Nana Hotel? Lovely establishment!

Nana Hotel? Lovely establishment!

I have reluctantly been dragged into that den of iniquity once. I didn’t like it.

I’m personally happier to have a beer at Big Dogs at the entrance to the Plaza and watch the Thais invent more ways of separating Farang tourists from their holiday money.

Then go home. Or Jools perhaps.

I have reluctantly been dragged into that den of iniquity once. I didn’t like it.

I’m personally happier to have a beer at Big Dogs at the entrance to the Plaza and watch the Thais invent more ways of separating Farang tourists from their holiday money.

Then go home. Or Jools perhaps.

Farang ba mak mak.

Is English everywhere in Malaysia? The Straits Times in Singapore enjoys telling stories about their neighbours. One they relished was an old Grandpa in a Kampong bewailing that none of his adult grandkids could speak English, whereas he had learned it as a child so he could read the English language comics. Deliberate Malaysian Government policy according to the Singaporeans.

It certainly was in peninsular Malaysia in the times I've been there from 1990 up to around 2015. It' was easy to pick up the local Bahasa Malaysia/ Indonesian out in those two countries when travelling around. Unlike Thai, at least you can read the local text.

PM (mad) Mahathir has been turning the country away from English. Their loss in later life.

Latest Threads