The Beginning of the End for Tax Avoidance?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Whet, Aug 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Following the CD the German government gave us with the names and bank accounts of crooks avoiding tax in Lichtenstein, the government of that former tax haven has agreed to share its banking information.

From the BBC

2. Sch**sse, I will just have to hide my hard earned millions elsewhere, just like everyone else will. :D

3. Drilligaf

Don't you think the treasury is going to see your millions in Lichtenstein and then see that they aren't there anymore - they might get suspicious as to where those millions went.

And don't you think that the Lichtenstein banks aren't going to tell.

I just wonder if the crooks avoiding tax will get locked up as they should do.

4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Wrong its the beginning of the end for Tax Evasion, it means shit loads more work for me in the area of Tax avoidence which is the legitimate use of the rules to minimise a clients Tax position.

5. Are you including all the Brit MPs in that, Sven?

MsG

6. IF the current Tax code wasn't so f**king complex even HMRC don't know the rules and some complete f**kwit of a spackie hadn't thought it was a good idea of mix 2 large departmenst into one, move them to the other end of the country to keep a bunch of retards in work and bin the staff who knew the rules....

There won't be so much trouble with tax dodging.....

7. Isn't 'tax avoidance' the practice of finding legal loopholes in the tax system, whereas stashing your money in an off-shore bank account is good old tax evasion, which is a crime? This doubly landlocked alpine microstate has for years been doing very nicely out of helping the rich to evade their taxes. Now it's payback time.

8. Any who have, knowingly and deliberately - yes

9. Yep

Rich blokes hide their riches in a tax haven because they don't understand the rules. I can believe that :roll:

10. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Well mr smartalec our largest individual client is worth a little over £360 Million and as far as tax planning is concerned he doesn't know his arrse from his elbow, and neither does his accountant. Just because someone is wealth doesnt automatically make them tax savy.

11. No doubt there are, but to blame tax dodging on not understanding the rules is somewhat silly.

12. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

No its normally motivated by not wanting to have to fund chav's and their lifestyles. Why should someone who has built up an significant amount of wealth and employs hundreds of people have to pay higher rates of tax?

13. Of course. Rich people load their cash into Lichtenstein banks simply because the name has a nice Ruritanian ring to it. Nowt to do with tax dodging (selective or otherwise).

14. But they are also saying why should I fund the MoD, or looking after old people.

The reason people pay higher rates of tax is down to one thing - social responsibility

15. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

I was hopping for a stronger bite than that Whet, but I guess i'll settle for that one :D