The beginners guide to getting promoted

Discussion in 'RLC' started by skintboymike, Apr 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Serious post for a change,

Upon arrival at my new unit a couple of years ago I was told that to get promoted I would need to have an instructional qualification such as CBRN, BCDT, etc. I appreciate that a soldier needs to remain as employable as possible, but is teaching the only way?

From what I've seen so far being the dog's bollocks at your job isn't enough, in fact it's not even necessary as long as your face is seen in the right circles. There are only two others in my unit who AREN'T instructors in something, which leaves us in a pretty poor situation when the board sits, especially as DIT courses aren't exactly being given away in crackers these days. I'm not particularly suited to teaching anyway if I'm being honest, so I'd rather channel my energy into something which could also be more beneficial to myself as an individual.

I thought I'd ask others on this forum who may have faced these challenges themselves. What else gets you promoted? Also, which achievements are looked upon more favourably by the board?
  2. No gag reflex is always a good start.
  3. OK for the sake of this thread, let's just say that all the guys I work with give better blowjobs than me. :D
  4. Aside from not being able to give a decent blowjob is there anything that sets you apart from any of your peer group?

Get yourself noticed! I agree that being able to teach a subject is a good way of achieving this but you could also organise something for your Sqn to do. Even if it is something as basic as a football or orienteering competition. Keep it smple and there's less chance you'll fcuk it up! Get an idea and then if you've got a half decent Tp Comd ask for a bit of direction to develop an admin instruction which you can have convieniently placed on the desk of your OC. Facetime is the key! If the event goes well you'll get the credit but don't waste this and sit on your arse like the rest of your mates for the remainder of the reporting period!!
  5. Rather than just organise a Sqn do and get "Face Time" you could try to take part in Regimental activities in order to increase your profile across the Regiment. Regt Sports, Adv trg and the like to get yourself noticed without having to suck c#ck. Remember when you are graded prior to the CR's being written you OC will go in and bat for his soldiers in the Regt'l pecking order. You could be the best guy in your Sqn but the greyest guy in the Regt and it will count for little. If you are good at your job and are known around the regt by other OC's, CO et al (for all the right reasons) it will make a difference come CR time.
  6. How about

Para/Cdo course is a good way to raise your profile, as other say taking part in Regt sports can only enhance your profile with your Boss.
    Having some teaching quals is good DIT/BIT/MOI or getting range qualified seems to help as well.
    You need to be more than just a good tradesman/soldier.
    Show the people who write your SJAR you have more than one string to your bow.

Or if that doesnt help why not try, taking credit for everyone elses work, and stabbing your fellow tradesman in the back at every opportunity!!!!
  7. All excellent advise there guys, all tried and tested methods for raising your profile when SJAR time rolls around.

I understand that under the new promotion criteria DIT courses are becoming increasingly more and more difficult to get loaded onto so understandably you want to find an alternate route to promotion.

Not being RLC myself I am not 100% up to speed with the ins and outs of your particular capbadges way of doing things as I know they differ slightly from my own. However having served at a TPT REGT myself I got to know a lot of the lads and it seemed that a MT or SQMS position carried out well seemed to aid lads/lasses with promotion prospects.

Also as far as I am aware there are positions for CBRN assistants which do not require DIT qual ( could be wrong on this ).

Small things like getting up the front when on Sqn PT and stepping upto extra responsibilties ie Sqn fund committee etc...the sort of pish that is bone but as mentioned will give you face time with the right people.

Not saying shneck at every oppurtunity but put yourself out there.

I would also advice that you build on the teaching side of life too if you feel that you may be weak in that area. Remember that you may be spammed with teaching a lesson anyway if/when you pick up so now is a good time to practise with the minimum of pressure.

Have you been put forward for a PNCO Cse yet ?

Have you been working on the points from your MYA ?

What do you do outside of your job spec ?

Play any sports (even if crap) ?

Best of luck in the future.
  8. A staffy once told me that ALL I had to do to get promoted was, and I quote, "Take a bus load of spastics up Snowdon. get a picture on the front page of the local rag.Job done!"
    I didn't do itI, but joined a local cadet force as a service instructor.
    Just Add that third dimension and set yourself apart. 8)
  9. I think im good at my job but knew something more needed to be done to get above that parapet.
    The "organise the Mess function/trip etc" wasnt really the way i wanted to do it. One day, minding my own business in the office (on ARRSE!), and phone call from OC "you want to go on a meeting about this new UBRE?".....3 1/2 years down the line, radio/newspaper/magazine/DVD appearances, trips to Canada and Germany, put into a -45 cold chamber, sit on meetings where full Colonels say "CH, what you think we do about this..." and i was promoted. Am i a Driver? No, but i went out of my comfort zone and it got noticed.
    I say sometimes its right place, right time. But if a opportunity comes along to shine grab it....because someone else will!
  10. All good advice guys thanks, and one or two points I may take on board myself, although I think I didn't make my position clear enough. I'm a Cpl in a unit with 15 other Cpls. We are all the lowest rank in the unit, leaving us unable to show any management skills apart from the odd bit of direction for our civilian counterparts. From those 15 other Cpls, about 8 have instructional quals under their belt, while 2 are PTI's. While this doesn't leave me at the bottom of the pile, it doesn't exactly leave me anywhere near the top either. (I'm not even good looking, so shagging my boss is out of the question too.)

For extra curricular stuff I hold the position of SSAFA Community Volunteer Co-ordinator for my area (a full time job in itself at times), as well as filling in as the SSAFA Publicity Officer from time to time (meaning I get my ugly grid in all the local rags and magazines too). I also run my workplace brew fund and I occasionally organise the odd social event. I feel I put in a lot of effort which should be acknowledged, but have a sneaking suspicion I'm pissing in the wind.

I suppose I'm appealing to those who have written SJARs themselves, or even sat on a promotion board, to hear what they think is important when comparing a soldiers achievements against his/her peers.
  11. In order:

1. Being good at your job
    2. Actually pushing for promotion and promotion prospects
    3. Getting others to notice you are good at your job
    4. Being in the right place at the right time
    5. Seniority
    6. Doing something others don't (fund raising/other (volunteer) work outside of your normal role, ect)
    7. Being liked by your reporting officers
    8. Being a "yes" man
  12. In an ideal world, 1, 2 and 3 would be paramount before considering anything else. Unfortunately these days the priorities seem to start with 4, 7 and 8.
  13. But he's a postie play football be shite at your job but still get promoted well that's how it worked in the 90's
  14. And still is to this day!
  15. Getting promoted, rule number one; want it.

That's it; everything else is easy.