The Beautiful Game.

You’re fishing for an other argument aren’t you.
The fans that go week in week out or when work allows are the true fans of football, that’s who these clubs owe their existence too, that’s the fans the fecking leaches aka owners forgot.

Take of your rose tinted glasses, they are all clubs with a global audience. You might think you are something special because you go to a stadium, the rest of the world doesnt give a shit.

Also as seen by a lot of clubs when they get relegated, their so called fans are busy elsewhere on a Saturday afternoon.

I wonder what is the largest income stream for a top level club. Is it attendance?

Not even close

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Personal opinion only, but there is too much European football.

I'm ancient enough to remember when watching your team play in Europe was special. Mates round, beer and crisps, jumping up and down when someone scored.

Now it's 3 nights a week and same old same old, barely worth opeing a can of coke never mind getting the beer out. Has been going this way since every minor country had to have their team in the Champs League. I'm surprised that we're not seeing Lichtenstein fielding a team for the league stages never mind the likes of the multiple Balkan states.

I have read speculative articles which suggested that in the future clubs will have to pay fans to attend. Can't remember where it was but it had looked closely into future attendances and the cost of building, running and maintaining modern stadiums, with match day costs a not insignificant factor.

I have read speculative articles which suggested that in the future clubs will have to pay fans to attend. Can't remember where it was but it had looked closely into future attendances and the cost of building, running and maintaining modern stadiums, with match day costs a not insignificant factor.

I very much doubt it for the top clubs.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Broadcasting & sponsorship are the 2 main sources of income by a large margin followed by sale of replica kits and branded goods with matchday receipts in 4th place.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Take of your rose tinted glasses, they are all clubs with a global audience. You might think you are something special because you go to a stadium, the rest of the world doesnt give a shit.

Also as seen by a lot of clubs when they get relegated, their so called fans are busy elsewhere on a Saturday afternoon.
:applaud:

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Personal opinion only, but there is too much European football.

I'm ancient enough to remember when watching your team play in Europe was special. Mates round, beer and crisps, jumping up and down when someone scored.

Now it's 3 nights a week and same old same old, barely worth opeing a can of coke never mind getting the beer out. Has been going this way since every minor country had to have their team in the Champs League. I'm surprised that we're not seeing Lichtenstein fielding a team for the league stages never mind the likes of the multiple Balkan states.
Are you saying that the likes of Partizan, or Red Star, shouldn't be allowed to play if they qualify?

syrup

LE
Few years old but shows that broadcasting tends to be the biggest

Football without fans maybe nothing but football without T.V. is skint
Look at the club pre SKY and EPL.
The majority of the stadiums where run down and not all that nice a place to go and stand
I seem to remember the Edwards family couldn't sell Man Utd in the late 80's because the club was skint and he couldn't keep ploughing money into it.
It's the very reason that the EPL was formed so the top clubs could keep and the money and sod everyone else

Fan power may have scored a small victory here but it will happen in some form.
Guys from fan groups appearing on Sky demanding that the owners sell to the fans is a loads of rubbish.
People need to understand that the clubs are brands and they wouldn't be without the owners.
The owners and players are a lot more brand savvy than the old clubs ever were that's why they'l take on the bloke down the pub illegally streaming matches they want their cut

End of then day the hypocrisy from the fans is just as bad as the clubs
Nobody kicked up a fuss about the clubs breaking away to form the EPL.
Everyone wants their team to win in order to do that they want the best players
In order to satisfy the fans the clubs need to generate more money.

The elite clubs will always look to keep as much of the money as they can
It will happen either they will break away of UEFA will work something out
Even the Champion League format is simply about generating more money the only thing to come out of the ESL was UEFA sneaked it out with out any back lash

Guys from fan groups appearing on Sky demanding that the owners sell to the fans is a loads of rubbish.

The fans can buy the clubs if they can raise the money, but it appears clubs with tens if not hundreds of millions of fans have a following who arent keen on risking their own money.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
The majority of the stadiums where run down and not all that nice a place to go and stand
I seem to remember the Edwards family couldn't sell Man Utd in the late 80's because the club was skint and he couldn't keep ploughing money into it.
It's the very reason that the EPL was formed so the top clubs could keep and the money and sod everyone else

People need to understand that the clubs are brands and they wouldn't be without the owners.
The owners and players are a lot more brand savvy than the old clubs ever were that's why they'l take on the bloke down the pub illegally streaming matches they want their cut

Even the Champion League format is simply about generating more money the only thing to come out of the ESL was UEFA sneaked it out with out any back lash
The Premier League couldn’t be further from the failed ESL.
The PL isn’t a closed shop, clubs get promoted into it and relegated.
The PL does keep its money but why not, they pay a lot of tax and why shouldn’t they keep their money?
The PL was part of the domestic set up and wasn’t diluting the domestic game.

The problem is they don’t go shopping for players in the lower leagues any more.
Utd bought Dan James from Swansea a couple of seasons back, I’m racking my brains for another player that Utd have signed from the lower divisions.
Leicester got Jamey Vardy from well down the league was he a non league player?
Any now the money could flow down if these top clubs put in a bit of effort and scouted these shores properly, look at players like Coppel and Keegan for instance
players from Tranmere and Scunthorpe who went on to become household names playing for the biggest clubs in the country, there are a lot more from the past the clubs could save a fortune but the managers and owners just appear to be fixated by fancy names.*

*Yep they cost more money when idiots buy the jerseys with the names printed on them.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
The fans can buy the clubs if they can raise the money, but it appears clubs with tens if not hundreds of millions of fans have a following who arent keen on risking their own money.
The fecking Glaziers won’t sell.
The richest man in the country is a Manchester United Supporter and was born in Oldham.
He owns Nice.

Last edited:
The fecking Glaziers won’t sell.
The richest man in the country is a Manchester United Supporter and was born in Oldham.
He owns Nice.

That link says hes not keen to buy united or any other club in the premiership, almost as if he cares about his money.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
That link says hes not keen to buy united or any other club in the premiership, almost as if he cares about his money.
He wanted to years back but the bastard Yanks just wouldn’t sell.
Funny thing is he knows about football from a fans point of view, something I’ve been saying for gawd knows how long.

He wanted to years back but the bastard Yanks just wouldn’t sell.
Funny thing is he knows about football from a fans point of view, something I’ve been saying for gawd knows how long.

Oh course he did, he never thought to buy it before the Glazers did, only afterwards, and then those nasty Glazers refused him and now, just to be clear, he wouldnt buy it or any other club.

Dwarf

LE

I agree with a fair amount of that, and yes, this idea is not dead it will resurface. But whatever form it takes if it us a closed shop like the NBA it may disenchant domestic fans while expanding a global audience. The former is pretty much limited to a certain proportion of the population the latter has a much bigger potential and that is what interests the clubs like R Madrid.

The clubs could actually belong to the fans, it works quite well in Barça where the president is elected every set term and the brand stays the same.
The previous waste of sperm president was given a vote of noconfidence after his ideas failed all across the board. He saw he couldn't win and fell on his sword.
So it can work.

R Madrid on the other hand has in theory a similar model but Florentino changed the statutes and it is effectively a personal fief now as nobody can meet the conditions to challenge him. So obviously there are dangers.

philc

LE
I believe Chelsea were the first to pull out, wonder if thats Romans revenge on the other owners after he was made PNG by the UK Government. A scorned Russian is a thing.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh course he did, he never thought to buy it before the Glazers did, only afterwards, and then those nasty Glazers refused him and now, just to be clear, he wouldnt buy it or any other club.
Why do I bother talking to you?
Do pubs empty when you walk in?
Don't bother answering I know the answers.