The Beautiful Game.

Man City have binned it, Chelsea to follow.

Probably Spurs next - Brit owned.

The other three are spam owned.

Who owns Tottenham Hotspur?​

Spurs’ ownership situation is surprisingly complicated compared to other English clubs.
For one thing, despite his public profile and role as chairman, Daniel Levy is not the majority shareholder.
While it is true that he is the most powerful person at the club, and that any decisions such as Jose Mourinho’s sacking ultimately have to come from him, the 59-year-old in fact owns just 29.4% of the share capital of ENIC International Limited.
ENIC are the company who 85.55% of Spurs, but their majority stakeholder is Joe Lewis, an 84-year-old businessman who spends the vast majority of his time in the Bahamas.

Well done Flash.

See @dingerr ’s post #3,905 and @SauceDoctor ’s post 3,906
Was that to me?
You should be able to use the quote function after 16 years

Did they post a link to the news?
NO

But I understand you have problems

Watching Sky sports last night and listening to the pundits. Two things struck me. One is the point Graeme Souness made about the fact that the 175 page contract for the ESL which all the owners signed was not drawn up over night. It would have taken months (especially with Yank lawyers involved) which means that the owners kept the clubs in the dark whilst plotting behind their backs. There is no way back from that and the fans will continue to press for resignations. Hopefully it will cost the individuals a few million in breaking contract clauses.

The second is how eloquently and passionately Gary Neville spoke about the whole thing, especially the need to reform the laws about ownership etc. There will be alot of naval gazing by the FA and UEFA in the next year or so and I can see the likes of Neville at the forefront of the negotiations.

There would appear to be a window of opportunity to completely overhaul football for the better. Maybe go down the German route of 51% fan ownership, with maybe wage caps which can allow clubs to reduce ticket pricing.

I'm not holding my breath, but there is a chance some good could come out of this.

no f in beer

War Hero
My only shock is that it all collapsed so quickly. I thought a summer in the courts was on the cards. Hey ho, back to the $ky, BT sport money pit

Watching Sky sports last night and listening to the pundits. Two things struck me. One is the point Graeme Souness made about the fact that the 175 page contract for the ESL which all the owners signed was not drawn up over night. It would have taken months (especially with Yank lawyers involved) which means that the owners kept the clubs in the dark whilst plotting behind their backs. There is no way back from that and the fans will continue to press for resignations. Hopefully it will cost the individuals a few million in breaking contract clauses.

The second is how eloquently and passionately Gary Neville spoke about the whole thing, especially the need to reform the laws about ownership etc. There will be alot of naval gazing by the FA and UEFA in the next year or so and I can see the likes of Neville at the forefront of the negotiations.

There would appear to be a window of opportunity to completely overhaul football for the better. Maybe go down the German route of 51% fan ownership, with maybe wage caps which can allow clubs to reduce ticket pricing.

I'm not holding my breath, but there is a chance some good could come out of this.
But what if the 51% of fans are from the Far East and want this super league ?
They say that 99% of Man Utd fans have never been to England , let alone Old Trafford .
Perhaps it's a good way to bolster post covid tourism , by having a sort of football haj every summer , forcing all these foreigners come here and worship their team at the home stadium ?
As a treat , we might make the players train a bit , or even play a match

1618994021711.png

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer

Dwarf

LE
Come on football is always open to abuse, just look the the money Barcelona and RM get, then look at how much the others in the league get.
That's a huge difference, I read that in the Premier the TV cash is divided up with the top getting 9x more than the bottom team. In La Liga it's more like 40x.
I've also seen the prices in Barça's Camp Nou shop, and it's packed with tourists.

But the driving force of this Super League comes from Madrid's President Florentino Perez who has huge a economic empire and the ear of the establishment.
He has this romantic idea that Real Madrid are the best team in Europe and should be the team which everybody automatically wants to play for, so it will always have the best players in the world. So what's the best showcase for RM? He doesn't particularly like slumming to places like Cadiz or Elche, or in the Champions League having to go to Smallberg SV Denmark in the initial phases of the CL. He wants RM to be playing City or PSG or Juve every match as that's where he feels they should be.
Add into this the €€€€ factor where he can pay for the best players by cornering the TV market with the top clubs, which the covid situation has aggravated.
To do this he had to take along the top Spanish Clubs, but while he has total power in RM which he has engineered, Barça is owned by the members and things like this have to be voted on, If Athletico hadn't gone in he would have offered it to Valencia.

It's all so this autocratic President can find his dream showcase to get RM back to the days of the 70's, and it doesn't matter what fans, players or UEFA think, they don't count.

Also it might not be totally over, he was quoted over here (Catalonia-Spain) as saying that the Premier Clubs had signed and agreement that wasn't so easy to get out of, so the echoes of this might reverberate for a bit longer.

But the driving force of this Super League comes from Madrid's President Florentino Perez who has huge a economic empire and the ear of the establishment.
And Real Madrid are finacially in trouble. This was his way of guaranteeing RM's future. I hope he gets personally stung by this attempt to screw yet more money for his vanity project.

Barcalona are not doing too well either.

Perez couldn't give a stuff about saving football, just Real Madrid.

I read American owners of 3 English PL Clubs met in 2017 to discuss this.I would love a return to pre Sky Sport days when everyone kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday. The game has been moving away from ordinary fan in the street ever since. I know,I am a complete cave man.

Dwarf

LE
And Real Madrid are finacially in trouble. This was his way of guaranteeing RM's future. I hope he gets personally stung by this attempt to screw yet more money for his vanity project.

Unless Perez is telling the truth and Madrid's debts are much lower than anybody outside the club estimates, big decisions will be needed to ensure the club evade a period of financial crisis at the Bernabeu in coming years.

Perez couldn't give a stuff about saving football, just Real Madrid.
Exactly. Agree with that. Also over the last few years RM hasn't been playing the quality of football that he dreams of. The other day they beat Barça by playing like a lesser team. Bus parked and hope to score on the break. If Barça hadn't had an off day they wouldn't have lost.
The elite league could remedy that by attracting the best players as he sees it. He's still annoyed that Messi cold-shouldered RM as it negates his ideas.

Financially RM and Barça are in big trouble as their income now is nowhere near covering the wage bill they have accrued.

The Perez interview a couple of days ago when he said he wanted to "save football" was very telling. In it he said that Real Madrid and Barca were losing fans and more importantly viewers beacause they didn't have the quality of matches, week in week out.
Basically the two biggest clubs in Spain have ruined the Spannish league by knicking all the money for stupid player wages. They have even had government help in achieving this. So now the Spannish league is uncompetetive and boring to watch. The Spannish equivalent of Leicester will never achieve anything.
Perez thought that he could continue down this route by stealing the best clubs from other leagues.

The Perez interview a couple of days ago when he said he wanted to "save football" was very telling. In it he said that Real Madrid and Barca were losing fans and more importantly viewers beacause they didn't have the quality of matches, week in week out.
Basically the two biggest clubs in Spain have ruined the Spannish league by knicking all the money for stupid player wages. They have even had government help in achieving this. So now the Spannish league is uncompetetive and boring to watch. The Spannish equivalent of Leicester will never achieve anything.
Perez thought that he could continue down this route by stealing the best clubs from other leagues.
Depends on how far back, as well as who you consider a spanish Leicester. Deportivo La Caruna won the league in 2000. Valencia also won it twice in the 2000s.

Neither example negates the fact that Barca and RM's greed for tv revenue have hampered the other clubs domestically

Latest Threads