Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Beautiful Game.

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
1601381821454.png

But where this ends up is that - for example - if a player makes a tackle and in doing so makes his opponent fall over, is it a foul? If handball is subjective, so is whether you got the ball or not. It just goes on and on and on until "taking a risk" applies to just about anything on the field and is potentially penalised to the extent you end up not doing it.

Sorry I didn't notice this earlier.

In the professional game these days if you make a tackle and collect the player at the same time then a foul will be given irrespective of whether or not you got the ball. It's rare you'll see a slide tackle that collects both ball and player go unpunished at the top level.

And handball is no longer subjective. Functionally, as the rule is read if you're on your feet and in "normal play" and the ball strikes your arm unl as that arm is tucked by your side or behind "the normal silhouette of your body" you're going to get blown up.

The reason the law is written in the way it is, is to allow for instances like a player on the floor levering himself to his feet and the ball striking his arm as he uses it to get off the floor. The arm isn't inside the normal silhouette of his body but how else is he supposed to rejoin play? At least that's how I read it.

Anyway, you won't be convinced it's for good, I won't be convinced it's bad, let's see how it plays out. Given the standard of referees at the top level it's nice to be talking about something other than their incompetence!

Both the offside and this new handball rule are stupid beyond stupidity.
For offside why not bring back the rule that there must be day light between the attacker and last player? All this bollocks of a toe been offside is ludicrous.

There has never been such a 'daylight' offside Law in football. As always, happy to be corrected though :)

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
There has never been such a 'daylight' offside Law in football. As always, happy to be corrected though :)
I thought there was, I thought there was a time when a player had to be clearly off side.
Unhappy to be proved an idiot though :albino:

You can't have a situation where you give away a handball when you're not even looking in that direction - as Dier did yesterday.

Yes you can. If an outfield player changes the course of the ball with his arm or hand then it’s unfair. It’s called football for a reason. You don’t need to flail your arms about when jumping.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Define clearly offside :)
Er, oh when a , no that’s not right, how about standing in front, no that can’t be right.
Is this is a trick question:???:

This is turning into a fairly incredible season. When was the last time that Everton, Villa and Leicester constituted the top three? Or Manchester United were hammered 6-1 at home, or Liverpool were battered by Aston Villa? Or we had so many 7 goal aggregate games? I know its early days, but something odd is going on!

Only Spurs could hammer United 6-1 at Old Trafford and still come second on Match of the Day.

The bbc are reporting today that live free viewing of all games will only be available until the end of October. Details seem a bit scarce right now. I’m not in the uk so I have to buy a DAZN subscription to see the prem so I’m hoping that won’t be affected. Flicking around on the weekend watching bits and pieces of numerous games is part of the fun for me. Having pay per view on one game only wouldn’t work for me. Shame if it happens, it’s almost like professional sports is shooting itself in the foot right now.

RBMK

War Hero
The Premier League really are making a total cock-up of the situation.

I might well have paid a fiver to watch my club [Liverpool] playing but there is o way I am paying £15 to watch a single match.

Dream on PL.

syrup

LE
The Premier League really are making a total cock-up of the situation.

I might well have paid a fiver to watch my club [Liverpool] playing but there is o way I am paying £15 to watch a single match.

Dream on PL.

Not on top of an expensive Sky package
I might bin the package and if I can cherry pick the games
Are Amazon still offering them on Prime?

TamH70

MIA
Not on top of an expensive Sky package
I might bin the package and if I can cherry pick the games
Are Amazon still offering them on Prime?

Don't see any live matches on my Prime Video page. Some documentaries if you're into that sort of thing.

RBMK

War Hero
I have Amazon Prime.
My understanding is that these are other matches.

The list I have for AP matches is:

Tuesday 15th December
Arsenal v Southampton
Aston Villa v Burnley
Fulham v Brighton
Leeds v Newcastle
Leicester v Everton
Sheffield United v Man Utd
West Ham v Crystal Palace
Wolves v Chelsea

Wednesday 16th December
Liverpool v Tottenham
Man City v West Brom

Monday 28th December
Brighton v Arsenal
Burnley v Sheffield United
Chelsea v Aston Villa
Crystal Palace v Leicester
Everton v Man City
Man Utd v Wolves
Newcastle v Liverpool
Southampton v West Ham
Tottenham v Fulham
West Brom v Leeds

Unfortunately for the supporter, my understanding is, this package is only available to games not being shown already. So cancelling subscriptions won’t mean you will get to see the game.

It’s just more exploitation!

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
1. It only* currently applies to games in October which are not already contracted for showing on BT Sport, Sky etc - i.e. the ones which weren't scheduled to be shown. So we are being scalped for £14.95 per game if we want to watch these additional games too.

2. All (supposedly) this £14.95 money is going to the clubs, not the broadcasters.

3. Stand by for this to be the model for the rest of the season, I reckon - the matches not already being shown under contract.

4. If insufficient numbers stump up those ridiculous prices now, clubs might conclude they could make more money charging £5, with many more people willing to pay that lower sum. (but don't bank on it, as this oversimplifies some assumptions about the business growth model / the "normalising" of consumer behaviour over time - which would be complex considering it might only be for a few months whilst grounds can't be accessed).

* As I understand it, Sky and BT have already paid £x million pounds for the rights to screen X games during the season, which should already have been divvied up across each match week. I don't know whether they have already selected which games each broadcaster will show, but I'm concerned that we might see a trend of "big games" being held to ransom by this new model i.e. if you want to watch a big derby match, it's gonna cost £14.95 on top of your BT / Sky / Now TV subscriptions.

Bottom line for me - I refuse to pay £14.95 to watch individual matches, when I already put a lot of money in the pockets of BT and Sky every month. If half the money is genuinely going to Liverpool FC, that softens my viewpoint a little - but I think it should definitely be under a tenner, and £5 I would pay without moaning too much.

syrup

LE
Some of the club's in Scotland are streaming matches
Celtic provide a virtual season pass so season ticket holders can watch all the games not on SKY / BT.
One of the away games was offered as a live stream direct form the away teams ground
I think that was about £12 and the money went straight to the club ( St Mirren I think it was)

I'm not sure if the club's in England are doing similar for season ticket holders I know a mate who has a season ticket for horse racing gets all the races live streamed to him also.

I think this is the writing on the wall for the future. Even if In six months or so crowds come back the precedent will be set. I believe it will happen to much of live sports both sides of the Atlantic. It’s a shame I like hockey and football but paying the extra for the sports stations and DAZN is enough for me.

Latest Threads