Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Beautiful Game.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Jose doing a splendid job at Spurs.
Look at that last years finalists knocked out 4-0 on aggregate at the first knockout stage. League form dodgier than Utd.
Wtf did Levy see in him after his clusterfuck at Utd? Keep it up is all I can say.:grin:

Newcastle United announce next season`s (whenever it starts) kit.

1587377424351.png

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
A day or so ago was the 50th anniversary of the 1970 FA Cup final replay between Chelsea and Leeds at Old Trafford.
One of the hardest most celebrated memorable games in the history of the cup.
There was just one booking and Hugh Mclvenny one of the most distinguished football writers of all time wrote that the ref would only give a free kick on production of a deatth certificate.
I remember that game and was supporting Chelsea, well even as a kid supporting Utd you just had to hate Leeds.
They say football is quicker today, it is not, not with all the stop start with players falling over and getting free kicks because he felt the faintest of touches.
It was almost none stop that game apart from Peter Bonnetti who was injured and need treatment for about fifteen minutes but carried on. I truly wish football was like it was back then a game played by bloody good British players who played the game properly and didn’t moan to the ref every two minutes.
During this lock down I have come to the conclusion that I don’t miss football.

I also watched a replay of Wales v Scotland in the old Five Nations, bloody fantastic, no video ref, scrums done properly and actually formed in a blink of an eye, no blowing up every ten seconds or so, the ref not getting in the way, none stop action and half time spent out on the field of play, it was a great spectacle.
I honestly think sport has gone backwards over the years.

edited I’ve just watched a couple of videos on you tube of the two FA Cup games, it won’t allow me to cut and paste you must watch them. Some idiot allowed The Horse of the Year Show to go ahead at Wembley a week before the cup final, the pitch was worse than at OT which had just had a season of football played on it. All added to,the spectacle though.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the virtue signalling on show with the taking a knee nonsense but, any player who doesn't isn't going to survive the post match media massacre so what can you do I guess.

What happened to George Floyd wasn't right (understatement of the week I know), but it's unlikely anybody would have cared in the US or elsewhere if it had occured here. Or that they would care that people here are making gestures.

UKTAP

LE
Someone else in my household has got the football on, and I couldn't help but notice it. It's made me realise what the best thing about the lockdown was - no football.

I haven't missed this shit AT ALL. Virtue signalling, casual racism against white people by suggesting that we are the cause of all ills pre-match, taking a knee during the game, players rolling all over the floor constantly...

This is absolute cancer. I'm sure there was a game about 25 years ago that was fun to watch, but this isn't it.

Burn it with fire.

Agreed. You could see how uncomfortable the players were.

Funny old atmosphere though. With all the FIFA 98* crowd noise, it almost sounds normal.

*other versions are available.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The Happy Daze of 60-s football

BBremner.jpg

Dave Mackay not too impressed with a tackle from Billy Bremner.

However, MacKay did not like the pic as it showed DM as a bully whereas Billy Bremner, looking as though butter wouldn't melt in his mouth, was just a nasty player.

And what of that photograph? “I’m not a bully and don’t like bullies,” he once said. “He [Bremner] was a brilliant little player but a dirty little bastard. He kicked me in the leg I’d just come back from breaking twice. If he’d kicked the other one, I could have accepted that. But he kicked the broken one, and that really annoyed me. I could’ve killed him that day.”

He wasn't sent off and in 1966 they did not have red/yellow cards.

Statement from Hawkeye on Twitter.

Says it was a goal but their system didn't pick it up. So the tech doesn't work.

Then VAR could have overruled but didn't. So the system didn't work. That lack of goal could have cost Utd 80 million quid!

Donning fashion police uniform.

What’s going on with the manager’s rig? Looks like Frank Lampard is off to the naafi. Same for Hasenhuttl earlier. Arteta and Guardiola are not much better, but at least look like they’re set for the Friday night stomp, rather than a cheese ginsters and a can of monster.

Handing back fashion police duties.

Congrats to Liverpool.

Last edited:

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
So I'm gonna throw a radical bet into the mix.

Pep to quit City & go manage Barcelona. Pochettino to take over at City. :)

(I know that Poch will probably just get Barca, but I'm not convinced it's a project he will really want to tackle.)

So I'm gonna throw a radical bet into the mix.

Pep to quit City & go manage Barcelona. Pochettino to take over at City. :)

(I know that Poch will probably just get Barca, but I'm not convinced it's a project he will really want to tackle.)

I’m not sure Pep would want to taint his legacy by taking the job again. Looks like they might be about to lose some of the great players they have relied on for a number of years (Messi is 33 now, for instance), and its a bit of a rebuilding job.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
The Happy Daze of 60-s football

View attachment 483078

Dave Mackay not too impressed with a tackle from Billy Bremner.

However, MacKay did not like the pic as it showed DM as a bully whereas Billy Bremner, looking as though butter wouldn't melt in his mouth, was just a nasty player.

He wasn't sent off and in 1966 they did not have red/yellow cards.
My dad helped carry Dave Mackay off at Old Trafford after someone managed to break his leg, there was a picture of it in the newspapers, he still has it somewhere, a night match I think.

It’s turning into a very strange season already. The handball law is ridiculous, VAR is impinging on more and more decisions and there are so many penalties being awarded you can never tell how a game is going to go. Currently with an hour gone at the Etihad it is Man City 1 - 3 Leicester, Jamie Vardy having scored a hat trick, two of them penalties. There have been penalties scored in the 90 + 7th minute in a couple of recent games - one of them awarded after the ref had blown for full time, following an appeal by players and a VSR review that was started after the final whistle.

Its getting ridiculous.

I like the handball rule.

There's absolutely no doubt and no room for inconsistencies. People dont like it because they say "he didn't mean it.". Well now it doesn't matter and is simply a matter of fact.

More penalties, undoubtedly, but the good teams will adapt quickly and the poor ones will eventually.

I like the handball rule.

There's absolutely no doubt and no room for inconsistencies. People dont like it because they say "he didn't mean it.". Well now it doesn't matter and is simply a matter of fact.

More penalties, undoubtedly, but the good teams will adapt quickly and the poor ones will eventually.

They’ll just have to practice jumping without flailing their arms about.

Latest Threads