The beast from the east.

How long will it last?

• 2 days 1 week 10 days 2 weeks.

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • DILLIGAF.

Votes: 25 83.3%

• Total voters
The bad weather has provided a marvellous excuse for some. Trying to get through to my bank for a query and I get "Due to the recent severe weather, we are experiencing a higher than normal number of calls and we may take longer to answer your call".
Funny, last time I tried to phone them I got the same message without the severe weather bit.

The bad weather has provided a marvellous excuse for some. Trying to get through to my bank for a query and I get "Due to the recent severe weather, we are experiencing a higher than normal number of calls and we may take longer to answer your call".
Funny, last time I tried to phone them I got the same message without the severe weather bit.
Surely that's something that could easily be done "working from home"?

Surely that's something that could easily be done "working from home"?
Some of our call centre chickens work from home anyway. For them it is a lifestyle choice. Our office closed on Friday, not because of the snow but the quarter of an inch of ice on top of it. A mate said that he had worked in the office for 18 years and had never seen it close because of the weather.

Anyway, I digress. Basically everyone with a laptop worked from home that day, which in itself caused problems. I'm a techno mong so don't know what this means but apparently the VPN slowed down due to the large number of people using it, which actually impacted on the phone bods who normally work from home anyway. My boss complained that it took 15 minutes to bring up Outlook on his laptop on Friday.

Me, I refuse to work from home. Work is work and home is home, and I resent it when work phones me. I went in on Sunday for four hours instead and got shedloads done because I wasn't getting interrupted every five minutes.

It's goona be dry cold for most but most the east coast of the UK will get a few inches of snow but the cold will last for a couple of weeks.
If you can be arsed check out wxcharts.eu type in location and click at the snow accum button or the 850pha chart its got a sliding day bar at the bottom. Have fun

Its returned, with a vengeance, snow drifts up my back door, the poor bloody gold fish in the garden pond don't know what time of the year its supposed to be, 2 days ago, I was sitting in a sunny garden, watching the grandkids playing. and today, horizontal wind driven snow, Freezing cold, grey overcast and miserable, and that's just the wife. 4 inches of snow this morning, (Sunday 18th) and the deep thinking ones, the weather elves, predict more flaky sunshine, Oh joy!

Last edited:
I went out on Saturday for a bimble from my home out to Stewarton, which is about lots of miles from here (there's many different routes and mileages involved in them, but my particular one took about 15 or 16 miles as I managed to get lost for a bit before I even left Paisley), and I was caught in several blizzards on the way out - mostly snow but the odd sleet and hail one as well. No accumulations, however, but really cold winds driving the precipitation didn't make for a pleasant experience all the same. Especially at the highest point of the route, which isn't too far from the mast/antennae complex at Sergeantlaw.

What struck me as I was toddling along, apart from the snow, was how screwed up the weather actually was. Most of the walk was in bright sunshine, with the nearest heavy clouds miles away from me, yet it was still snowing quite heavily. Unlike the last storm we got - that had about ten tenths cloud cover in the area I was out walking in.

Octas please. Cloud coverage is estimated in fractions of eight.