The beast from the east.

How long will it last?

• 2 days 1 week 10 days 2 weeks.

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • DILLIGAF.

Votes: 25 83.3%

• Total voters
Thanks for the sophisticated bit, not me pal, a east end boy, still got the accent, as has the Doris, but the nippers have a strange west midland, east London dialect, throws a lot of people off balance, and infuriates my old mum, a real old east end matriarch. Coal in the bath, Naa, central heating, and triple glazing in my gaff, that nonsense is reserved for the troglodytes up Manchester, bury, Bolton way and all points north. gawd knows what they use in the badlands of jockistan, peat, or sheep shit, dead haggis, used sporrans, who knows. ( End of piss take reply, reverting to "Sophisticated mode. )" Spasm, the memsahib and I will take tiffin on the lawn, and inform the under house parlour maid, my room, tonight at 21-30 hours, and bring a friend" TTFN
:eek::D
I'll have you know young man we progressed to woodburning stoves last week, one bulb leccy and we even keep chickens AND our own cattle help heat up our byre. So there!

Thanks for that, a reply in the spirit of a true Arrser, magic.
Just in the passing, Dad's first practice ( during the 2nd Wawah) was in Shifnal, Shropshire. Are you familiar with that area? He helped fit German pilots who bailed out (and crash landed their craft often) with false limbs at some local RAF base. Cosforth or summat?

Just in the passing, Dad's first practice ( during the 2nd Wawah) was in Shifnal, Shropshire. Are you familiar with that area? He helped fit German pilots who bailed out (and crash landed their craft often) with false limbs at some local RAF base. Cosforth or summat?
My dear friend I can drive there in minutes 30, and have over the years worked at RAF cosford many times as a contractor, and had a run in with the station commanders wife. but that's another story. Edit to add:- Shifnal is but a stones throw from Cosford. just off the M54, it houses the cold war museum amounst its many attractions and is well worth a visit, and the biggest collections of planes in the country.

it seems that the snowflake generation can't even cope with snowflakes

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
'The Beast from the East'?

Cue lots of piss stained old men wittering on about the good old days permanently hungover in BAOR.
Eee, lad, "that rifle, wi't wooden furniture", yeller 'and bags, bratti mitt pomme und mayo, DM3 to t'pound, boots DMS and puttees. You don't know yer born, lad.

My dear friend I can drive there in minutes 30, and have over the years worked at RAF cosford many times as a contractor, and had a run in with the station commanders wife. but that's another story. Edit to add:- Shifnal is but a stones throw from Cosford. just off the M54, it houses the cold war museum amounst its many attractions and is well worth a visit, and the biggest collections of planes in the country.
Holy moly.
Small world. Spooky or what?
My elder sister, who was born in Shifnal 1944, ended up married to a Shifnal local, the son of one of Dad's patients. Happily married God knows how long, and they are now retired in Poole.
Ive ended with a lot of social contacts in the Midlands. The Black Country, in my opinion, is under rated.
Best bendy wall pubs etc in England bar maybe the Lakes.
If you see Idsall House one day near the church at the top of Victoria Road in Shifnal, that's where Dad worked out from.
Made my day you have.

I'm 66 next birthday mate. Yeah, that winter was epic. No need for me to use Google! Off school a lot, local park sledging, home for Mum's scrummy thick soups with real brown bread & butter.
January 1966 was when I went to Carlisle to the Apprentice School. I'd only been there short while when C Company spider caught fire. We were standing on the square in Army issue pyjamas wearing great coats at 0100 hours freezing our nuts off.

The water the fire piquet and fire brigade put over the fire ran down the square and froze turning the square into a skating rink. Virtually all our drill lessons were done in the drill sheds.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
If the weather is really that bad, stay home until the storm is over and the roads can be cleared.
That works for girls and call center workers. Not for those of us equipped with a Land Rover High Capacity Pickup Unit.

Road closed? Hook a left through the fence and over the fields. Keep on through fences, hedges, sheep (etc) until you find a road. Hook a right. If road blocked again, repeat. Do not bother with blankets, nutrition bars or a flask of tea. If the weather is that bad, you can mug a farmer as you pass by.

January 1966 was when I went to Carlisle to the Apprentice School. I'd only been there short while when C Company spider caught fire. We were standing on the square in Army issue pyjamas wearing great coats at 0100 hours freezing our nuts off.

The water the fire piquet and fire brigade put over the fire ran down the square and froze turning the square into a skating rink. Virtually all our drill lessons were done in the drill sheds.
Respect.
You had a tougher paper round in life than I did.

Absolutely correct Terminal I wasn't dissing the weather in the majority of Ontario because

The Province of Ontario is;
  • approximately 1,076,395 sq. km / 415,598 sq mi.
  • larger than France and Spain , combined.
  • almost 1/3 the size of India.
  • more than 3 times the size of Germany.
  • more than 3.5 times the size of Italy.
  • more than 1/10th the size of Canada.
  • more than 4 times the size of the UK.
  • more than 8.25 times the size of England.
  • more than 15 times the size of Ireland.
  • about the same size of the US states Texas & Montana, combined.
  • is located in both the northern and western hemispheres.
I was just papping off about Toronto east of the city which between Pickering and Oshawa seems to get much less than the average snowfall anywhere else in Southern / Northern Ontario. All I know and care about is a drive downtown can take three hours rather than the normal 45 mins even though it's only a 2" snowfall.
I didn't intend to contradict you, I was just adding that regardless of having the proper equipment and being used to snow, when a major storm hits things still get shut down anyway. The comment was more directed at people who think that having a fleet of snowplows means everyone can laugh at the weather. You still have to learn to adjust to it and make your plans accordingly.

As for weather predictions, yes I agree that they tend to be hit and miss. I don't mind though when the worst fails to happen. I did read a news story some time ago that Southern Ontario had the most difficult to predict weather in the continent. It's because of being almost completely surrounded by the Great Lakes which alter the weather patterns as they cross them.

Today though has been very nice, sunny, spring-like weather. We've got a few days more of that coming up, so I will enjoy it while I can.

That works for girls and call center workers. Not for those of us equipped with a Land Rover High Capacity Pickup Unit.

Road closed? Hook a left through the fence and over the fields. Keep on through fences, hedges, sheep (etc) until you find a road. Hook a right. If road blocked again, repeat. Do not bother with blankets, nutrition bars or a flask of tea. If the weather is that bad, you can mug a farmer as you pass by.
I have a Tdi 90 with Aussie suspension technology so I shall endeavour to look stoic while trying avoid betraying my overwhelming inner smugness.
IF it snows to any appreciable degree, which I doubt. Probably a (snow) storm in a teacup.

My cousin and her family live at the top of Baffin Island. They had a warm day yesterday: -37C. Last week it was -56C. The school was closed because the rules say it has to be if it drops below -50C. The kids were thrilled because this meant they could go and play ice hockey in the street.