The Beano - Happy 80th Birthday

Dandy, Beano, Sparky. Bought for me by my gran.

Later graduated onto the Tiger, Valiant, & TV Century 21.

Sadly becoming less popular in the days of tablets and the internet.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Memories, The Bash Street Kids, brilliant, Dennis the Menace. They were great, I graduated from those comics to The Victor, now that was a good read and it was that comic that got me thinking about the army.:salut:

Used to share a pint and the odd whisky with one of the editors who retired a few years back, top guy with a very good and subtle sense of humour. Happy Burfday Beano...

GNASH! GNASH!

Memories, The Bash Street Kids, brilliant, Dennis the Menace. They were great, I graduated from those comics to The Victor, now that was a good read and it was that comic that got me thinking about the army.:salut:
Those were in the days when Captain Hurricane (in The Valiant), during one of his 'raging furies', could decant an entire Italian tank crew merely by swinging their tank around by its main gun barrel, whilst shouting racist epithets.

Indeed, those were the days.

Ahh the days of calling people Plug and they knew what you meant.

Those were in the days when Captain Hurricane (in The Valiant), during one of his 'raging furies', could decant an entire Italian tank crew merely by swinging their tank around by its main gun barrel, whilst shouting racist epithets.

Indeed, those were the days.
I inherited a load of Valiant, Victor and Lion comics from my mum's cousin when I was growing up. What still strikes me is the number of articles, they are still genuinely interesting and about random stuff that young boys would find fascinating. How trains work, airliners, artists impressions of how we'd land on the moon (this was a 1963 edition!). Also, various stories of derring-do in WW2.

When did we move away from that mindset? I understand that even Desperate Dan has had his revolvers removed, instead his holsters have become some sort of pouch.

I believe (and this is probably not for this thread), that growing up in the 80s with 'proper' comics and cartoons - good versus evil, tanks, jets, comic book violence has contributed to my generation being relatively mature and stable. The next are a product of everything being censored or watered down and look how happy they are.

Last edited:

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
… (or was it the Dandy?) the wartime strips like 'Musso da Wop, He's a Big Adda Flop'

I must be remembering this from before Musso was strung up in 1943.

The Beano, the Dandy, the Lion, the Eagle...... one of the cartoonists for the Beano was a bloke called dudley D Watkins who worked for D C Thomson's newspaper publishers in Dundee, Scotland. Me and my brother went to the same Preparatory boarding school just outside Montrose in the 1950s' that Dudley D Watkins sent his son to. D D Watkins also cartooned the 'Broons Family' in the Sunday Post newspaper.

Happy days, not!

I used to love it, growing up. Had all my dad's annuals from the 70s. I especially liked the art by Mike Pearce (although I only leaned who he was much later on! Below an example from a cracking football special which was my favorite, c.1999)

One of the artists, Will Kevans, served in the Welsh Guards and wrote My Life In Pieces: The Falklands War, which was beautiful, poignant and hilarious and I highly recommend it.

There has been mention of the Eagle, in passing.
This weekend 4 & 5 Aug, 1800 and 0001, Radio 4 Extra is broadcasting a series of progs on the science contained in Eagle: Dan Dare etc.