The BBC urinates all over Terry Pratchett's grave

With the obviously contrarian and woke attitude of the BBC and its luvvies I see an opportunity.

I am going to pitch an idea for a series based on the life of Mohammad - with Gwendoline Christy in the lead role (she can carry off a blood thirsty warriors role quite well I think).

She will of course have the requisite number of wives, take slaves and have several other aspects of the story that are faithful to the original - but with elements that have obviously been ‘adapted’.

If they refuse then I will sue them for racism an pen an article in the Guardian about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

and then standing on the shoulders of literary giants to mutate their work in order to push a message to an audience which could not be accessed were they to use original work produced by the literary pygmies charged with these adaptions. At best they are artistic parasites, at worst they are dangerously toxic and it's galling in the extreme to be forced to pay for it.
Nail. Head.

I can just imagine the chat between the scriptwriters - "We've got a pretty good script [I doubt it. Ed.] but we can't write characters, backstory or setting for toffee."
"No problem, let's just borrow some police type characters someone's already invented and use them to make our programme".

Here's a heretical view.

I think it will do okay and it will introduce a whole new generation to Sir TP, and maybe to his books as well.

I'm basing this on my eldest trying to get into Good Omens and other TP books and them just not clicking, too many 80s & 90s references and obscure cultural in-jokes that were current decades before she was born. Great for all us digital immigrants who get them, but for the digital natives, we might as well be speaking swahili.

However the Good Omens series has been a different matter - it hooked her and many others judging by very unlikely fan responses further afield; just the Aziraphale & Crowley bromance has grown a huge passionate following in some areas, in areas of society and modern life that you wouldn't expect. ( Example cartoon below)

Good Omens succeeded because people who were close to him curated and nurtured it; Neil Gaiman and Rob Wilkins. Rob was Sir TP's right hand and laterly his shoulder to lean on. If he is involved, he would have a pretty good idea of what he would have approved of.

*I've met Rob once and he was very polite and patient to a gibbering fan

Last edited:

Tyk

LE
Nail. Head.

I can just imagine the chat between the scriptwriters - "We've got a pretty good script [I doubt it. Ed.] but we can't write characters, backstory or setting for toffee."
"No problem, let's just borrow some police type characters someone's already invented and use them to make our programme".
True, the thing with Sir Terry's work is he created all the backstory and characters with so much flesh on their bones (loads in the case of Sybil who's described as being a galleon under full sail) they've nothing to write, just read the damn books. As I said earlier the colour of the actors doesn't matter a damn, apart from a few references to being pale or Carrot being obviously a huge celtic type it makes zero odds. Buggering about with ages, genders and the superb characters developed by a bloke with great literary and comic skill is going to really grate horribly. There's no excuse.

Well, up until half an hour ago I was having a good day when a friend sent me over a cast list for the upcoming BBC Watch based series.
I would advise you now to ensure you are not holding small children, sharp objects or hot drinks. All risk launching:

Just WTF!!! They took the entire canon of 40 books and pissed all over them in the name of woke.
Lady Cybil, the lady of large stature approaching in her early middle age and a scion of one of Ankh Morporks oldest families?
Well, she's an athletic looking young black woman now. Throat Dibbler? An attractive woman.
I need a drink, possibly lots of it.
I think you might be over-reacting to a genuine, well intentioned attempt by the BBC to be more representative of modern society...nah, bugger this!

fire2.jpg

Last edited:

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
True, the thing with Sir Terry's work is he created all the backstory and characters with so much flesh on their bones (loads in the case of Sybil who's described as being a galleon under full sail) they've nothing to write, just read the damn books. As I said earlier the colour of the actors doesn't matter a damn, apart from a few references to being pale or Carrot being obviously a huge celtic type it makes zero odds. Buggering about with ages, genders and the superb characters developed by a bloke with great literary and comic skill is going to really grate horribly. There's no excuse.
If TP described anything as a galleon under full sail then royalties are owed to PG Wodehouse.

DarkBrig

Old-Salt
The more people that watch this the more it will become the "true" version, I started a new job recently and 6 out of ten co workers (of all ages) were proud that they had never read a book in their lives. Look at all the missing parts from Lord of the rings that might just as well have never been written, Tom Bombadil, who he etc.

But he did actually deploy, he was a litmus for which side was winning by which side he supported.
"On many a foreign field, the last thing a mortally-wounded soldier saw was Corporal Knobbs heading for him with a knife, a sack and a calculating expression".

Schwarzenegger as Carrot
Danny de Vito as Nobby.

Sam Womack as Angua
Charles Dance as Lord Havelock.

Danny Dyer as Igor

Just a loose thought about who to cast.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Imagine if there were calls for a white actor to play John Shaft.
A point I made in company once, to much apoplexy.

The answer re. Bond is simple: he's 007. The licence can be revoked. So, ask yourself: is the series about 007, or James Bond?

The answer is Bond, who would remain Bond even if he were not 007.

If another 00 character were needed, you can pick from at least 11 other numbers:

00 Agent - Wikipedia

Therefore, it's possible to have a black 00 agent, or any other ethnicity (at least one UK-born Asian has asked in the media, reasonably, "Why does he have to be black?"), female, or - these days - any combination of Alphabet Spaghetti you fancy in terms of gender.

That leaves Bond to be Bond. If anything, it opens up the franchise rather a lot.

I appreciate that this might be a little too complicated for some, or else unwelcome to those determined to dismantle white privilege.

Prachett dealt with skin colour a few times,
Sgt Colon talking about ragheads for example.
The big hint that Sir Terry hated PC shit was the constant piss taking out of the campaign for equal heights.

The big hint that Sir Terry hated PC shit was the constant piss taking out of the campaign for equal heights.
And the arguments about having a vampire in the Watch.

But, reading into his books, they were the most ethnically diverse range of people ever. He had a way of sticking two fingers up at snowflakes that no one else is capable of.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
As I recall didn't he then have Colon in the office for a closed door, without coffee "chat" This adaption looks absolute dross

Directors have been playing fast and loose with operas, Shakespeare plays etc for decades. I expect it'll be quietly forgotten by this time next year.
I'm still getting over Helen Mirren as/in "Prospera"/The Tempest. A total disaster.

The only updating of Shakespeare that worked was Romeo and Juliet, with Leonardo DiCaprio.

God knows what other changes will be made. Afraid whoever sold the rights didn't do a good job of protecting Sir Pterry's legacy; a case of grab the money and run (and the finger points towards his heirs, alas -- see Monstrous Regiment for how sh1t he & she can a) understands Discworld despite working/living with him b) write.

Latest Threads