The BBC urinates all over Terry Pratchett's grave

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I used to think the only way to harm Saint Terry's works would be to make it subject to GCSE study; a guaranteed way to suck the joy out of any masterpiece. Then they started 'dramatising' them . . .
They've been dramatising Discworld for years, Sir Terry was a great fan of letting amateur dramatics and rep companies have a crack at his stories with the proviso that proceeds had to go to good causes. Stephen Briggs has published several stage adaptations too. I've seen a couple and they're not bad, in a pleasantly shonky way.
The Cosgrove-Hall adaptations are OK too, albeit let down by the limitations of their animation style and budget. I think someone like Studio Ghibli could probably do an excellent version of The Last Hero given a talented director, animation in the style of the illustrations (using CGI to help but not in the "Toy Story" style) could produce a pretty spectacular film.
To be honest the Sky adaptations aren't terrible, budget issues and David Jason's Rincewind aside (even then the issue is his age, young Jason would have been fine) they certainly capture the feel of the stories and characters.

BTW I think the full version of the Troll Bridge short film is available on Youtube if anybody is interested.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
To be honest the Sky adaptations aren't terrible, budget issues and David Jason's Rincewind aside (even then the issue is his age, young Jason would have been fine) they certainly capture the feel of the stories and characters.
He wouldn't have been my first choice, but who would you rather have played Rincewind ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I always thought Nigel Planer
He's not well known here, the Young Ones was only available on dodgy home recorded VHS, but later I heard him on an audio book.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
He's not well known here, the Young Ones was only available on dodgy home recorded VHS, but later I heard him on an audio book.
He was possibly a little fat in the face for a perfect Rincewind but the woe is me voice perfect.

I haven't watched any of these and only read a couple of books. However, Paul Kaye's character in Zapped was entertaining in the episodes I watched. I seem to recall the slot the show had been given was a bit inconvenient otherwise it might have been more popular. Zapped (TV series) - Wikipedia Anyway, if he can do a failed wizard presumably he can do a failed wizard?

Last edited:
He wouldn't have been my first choice, but who would you rather have played Rincewind ?
That's a very good question, I do give him Eric Idle's voice after the game but unlike some of the other characters I can't really think of of any particularly suitable actor. "Open all Hours" era David Jason is actually pretty close though.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
So .....David Yip for TwoFlower then ?

1611269642768.png

@stacker1 - Sir pTerry was all too well aware of the absurdity of the Blair era Diversity crap....pretty sure he drew Sam Vimes from various copper friends.

Which is why much of +Men At Arms+ revolves around Vimes' despair (and Sgt Colon's typical NCO - ' let's just get on with it' dealings with the new recruits)- a Dwarf and a Troll, Angua and her 'little problem' when the moon is full, and his outright refusal to follow Vetinari's instructions to enrol a Vampire.

The Guards books are full of sly references about

' No Sir, we left 'em to it....can't interfere with ethnic folkways sir !'

[ Gods I could do with a pint of Old Bearhugger and a Klatchian Hot right now.......]

Last edited:
Sir pTerry was all too well aware of the absurdity of the Blair era Diversity crap....pretty sure he drew Sam Vimes from various copper friends.

Which is why much of +Men At Arms+ revolves around Vimes' despair (and Sgt Colon's typical NCO - ' let's just get on with it' dealings with the new recruits)- a Dwarf and a Troll, Angua and her 'little problem' when the moon is full, and his outright refusal to follow Vetinari's instructions to enrol a Vampire.
While there is a bit of a dig at diversity quotas in Men at Arms I hate to point it out to you that it was published in 1993 and therefore nothing to do with Blair.
In any case I think the central theme of that particular plot line is pointing out that Vimes' prejudices towards non-humans are often ridiculous and unfounded rather than that the Patrician's orders to recruit them are misguided.

Chef

LE
While there is a bit of a dig at diversity quotas in Men at Arms I hate to point it out to you that it was published in 1993 and therefore nothing to do with Blair.
In any case I think the central theme of that particular plot line is pointing out that Vimes' prejudices towards non-humans are often ridiculous and unfounded rather than that the Patrician's orders to recruit them are misguided.
I'd disagree with that as Vimes comes across as cynical about everybody. In one of the books 'Jingo' his opposite number from Klatch points out that Vimes's problem is he doesn't believe that other races are equally capable of being evil minded so and sos.

I can't remember which book it is but he's at a society dinner with Lady Sybil, the other toffs are talking about the lazy stupid dwarves/ Klatchians and he agrees with them before puzzling how the lazy ne'er do wells manage to work all the hours God sends running corner shops and the like at the same time.

Vimes is an equal opportunities type, he dislikes everybody regardless of race, colour or creed.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Bladenburg - I bow to superior nollidge, nuancing.

( Just goes to show that my anti PC prejudices pre-date the Great Dissembler in office. )

Chef - It's the one with the D'Regs in .

And the society dinner is in the one where Edward De'Ath finds the gonne....

I bet you could rustle up a Klatchian hot in an instant...... ? Easy on the rats.

I'd disagree with that as Vimes comes across as cynical about everybody. In one of the books 'Jingo' his opposite number from Klatch points out that Vimes's problem is he doesn't believe that other races are equally capable of being evil minded so and sos.

I can't remember which book it is but he's at a society dinner with Lady Sybil, the other toffs are talking about the lazy stupid dwarves/ Klatchians and he agrees with them before puzzling how the lazy ne'er do wells manage to work all the hours God sends running corner shops and the like at the same time.

Vimes is an equal opportunities type, he dislikes everybody regardless of race, colour or creed.
By the time of "Jingo" though Vimes has been in forced co-operation with other species, and in particular Carrot, for some time and has become a much more equal opportunity cynic.

Latest Threads