The BBC urinates all over Terry Pratchett's grave

Whoops.. There goes the heretical hope I had that this might be okay - apparently Rob Wilkins wasn't as involved as previously thought ( https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/the-bbc-urinates-all-over-terry-pratchetts-grave.296661/page-5#post-9657439 )

Interestingly its gone from being a "BBC Studios" adaptation (Discworld: Terry Pratchett's City Watch headed for TV adaptation) to "BBC America"

Pratchett’s daughter Rhianna, and his long-term friend and assistant Rob Wilkins, who still runs Pratchett’s Twitter account, did not comment directly (they’re not involved in the adaptation). But both – in an impressively subtle piece of shade-throwing – shared a link to Ursula LeGuin’s legendary take-down of the appalling adaptation of her Earthsea books.

“I don’t know what the film is about. It’s full of scenes from the story, arranged differently, in an entirely different plot, so that they make no sense,” wrote LeGuin. “When I looked over the script, I realized the producers had no understanding of what the books are about and no interest in finding out. All they intended was to use the name Earthsea, and some of the scenes from the books, in a generic McMagic movie with a meaningless plot based on sex and violence.”

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Whoops.. There goes the heretical hope I had that this might be okay - apparently Rob Wilkins wasn't as involved as previously thought ( https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/the-bbc-urinates-all-over-terry-pratchetts-grave.296661/page-5#post-9657439 )

Interestingly its gone from being a "BBC Studios" adaptation (Discworld: Terry Pratchett's City Watch headed for TV adaptation) to "BBC America"

Pratchett’s daughter Rhianna, and his long-term friend and assistant Rob Wilkins, who still runs Pratchett’s Twitter account, did not comment directly (they’re not involved in the adaptation). But both – in an impressively subtle piece of shade-throwing – shared a link to Ursula LeGuin’s legendary take-down of the appalling adaptation of her Earthsea books.
Pretty much as all on here predicted. Such a shame.

If they feel that way then why did the daft buggers sign off on letting this abomination go ahead in the first place?

If they feel that way then why did the daft buggers sign off on letting this abomination go ahead in the first place?

"
[B]Rhi Pratchett[/B]‏ @[B]rhipratchett[/B] 14 Sep 2019
More
To those grumbling about why I ‘signed off’ on various aspects #TheWatch. I didn’t. Neither did Rob. Deals differ, but generally IP holders don’t get sign off. They can have discussions, if they’re in the production mix (often they’re not) & sway if they showrun, but that’s it.
"

"
[B]Rhi Pratchett[/B]‏ @[B]rhipratchett[/B] 14 Sep 2019
More
To those grumbling about why I ‘signed off’ on various aspects #TheWatch. I didn’t. Neither did Rob. Deals differ, but generally IP holders don’t get sign off. They can have discussions, if they’re in the production mix (often they’re not) & sway if they showrun, but that’s it.
"
So I could make a Discworld production and sell that in multiple countries with no input from the people who own the intellectual property? Somehow I find that difficult to believe.

TamH70

MIA
Not really.
R4 has been advertising a modern Oliver Twist. Set in Africa about a boy trying to get to the UK to meet up with his parents.
Woke garbage.
You weren't kidding.

I kind of hoped that you were, but you weren't kidding at all.

Damn.

This is going to end well.

So I could make a Discworld production and sell that in multiple countries with no input from the people who own the intellectual property? Somehow I find that difficult to believe.
No, but you could talk to whoever holds the licensing rights, make them a load of promises, sign a deal and then make something shit instead.

I'm waiting for the BBC adaptation of D-Day where brave Africans,Asians and Arabs face the raciest Boarder force Brits to live in the land of Guardiana and live peaceful socal and secure (ity) lives guided by social justice warriors under the benevolent eye of Jon Snow.
It writes it's self.

gorillaguts981

War Hero
Producers are truly spotty arsed non-creative garbage. They don't have the talent to write their own stuff, so they 're-interpret' someone else's work. F****** leeches to a person. Shit!. They've even got me doing the PC stuff.

Too late he was lynched by an angry mob shortly after post 8.

Tonight BBC2
21:50 - 22:30 (40 mins)
Terry Pratchett - Back in Black

Description:

"When the writer Sir Terry Pratchett died in 2015, he was working on one last story - his own. But Terry's Alzheimer's meant he never got to finish it."

"This poignant and humorous film starring Paul Kaye as Terry finally tells the story of this hugely popular author, creator of Discworld, whose books have sold over 85 million copies worldwide. Back in Black reveals Terry's road to success was not always easy, from his troubled schooldays to being dismissed by literary critics, to his battle with Alzheimer's. But knighted by the Queen, adored by millions of fans and with a legacy of 41 much-loved novels - Terry Pratchett is still having the last laugh."

BBC Two - Terry Pratchett - Back in Black

Trailer: BBC Two - Terry Pratchett - Back in Black, Terry Pratchett: Back in Black - Trailer
Just watched it, I never knew Esk was based on his daughter.
He was also forgiving enough to realise that his headmaster who disliked him so much, was fucked up due to WW2.

Not really.
R4 has been advertising a modern Oliver Twist. Set in Africa about a boy trying to get to the UK to meet up with his parents.
Woke garbage.
You weren't kidding.

I kind of hoped that you were, but you weren't kidding at all.

Damn.

This is going to end well.

Radio 4 was great once, now it's become a left wing wet dream. I only bother to listen to LBC now, everything on the BBC is lefty crap. It's like a form of PC brainwashing on par with the best of Pravda.

Radio 4 was great once, now it's become a left wing wet dream. I only bother to listen to LBC now, everything on the BBC is lefty crap. It's like a form of PC brainwashing on par with the best of Pravda.
LBC listening figures have been growing a lot, at a cost of BBC4 listeners. BBC World service figures on the other hand have increased. The World Service used to come across as more neutral but I did have concerns about "wokeness" in recent years. I had a listen a few days ago for a change and found something interesting, so maybe there is some hope.

RAJAR: LBC grows to record 2.2m audience while BBC Radio 4 sheds 770,000 listeners - Press Gazette

Last edited:

Seems odd that TPs daughter Rihanna is denying having any direct input into the interpretation of this Watch series, as both her and Rob Wilkins are heavily involved in Narrativia Productions, which is co-producing it with BBC America...Shame they've decided to allow this re-imaging bastardisation of the Watch books with this PC nonsense, particularly as they did a good job with Good Omens recently, which I enjoyed.

Won't it just!
Paywall so I haven't read the full article and haven't watched BBC's War of the Worlds but it looks like yet another illustration of rewriting / reinterpretation.

The BBC is leading the charge in rewriting our culture to suit the 'woke' brigade ALLISON PEARSON 12 NOVEMBER 2019 • 7:00PM

"Everywhere you looked this week, culture was busy trying to correct the mistakes of the past."

"The new BBC adaptation of HG Wells' War of the Worlds now centres on a woman and a gay man, 'pushing aside the white straight men who were so annoyingly prevalent in Victorian England"

The BBC is leading the charge in rewriting our culture to suit the 'woke' brigade

Last edited: