The BBC urinates all over Terry Pratchett's grave

Tyk

LE
Ah, but at her prime, Margaret Rutherford ( who is also dead)
Indeed, shame most of her films were in her older age, super actress and the ideal Gentry lady. Maureen Lipman was too thin and is now far too old, but she's another one that could pull off the Gentry thing right while dealing with Nobby Nobs as a "jolly good chap".
Lady Sybill has to be an awesome figure that people naturally do their best for, that sees the good in everything and especially everyONE, is utterly fearless, makes do and can wear scruffy stuff her ancestors bought to muck out the dragons while having enough money to buy the continent.

Chef

LE
If Keel is black and Vimes is white yet Vimes IS Keel then are the BBC promoting black face in the storyline?
Personally I'd get the old Leichner Clown White and get the other actor to white face it.

No controversy, extra work for a BAME actor and a white actor out of work.

Win win win:cool:

I think they should get a BAME actor to play Dr Whiteface (head of the Fool's Guild) and we can then watch snowflakes' heads explode in a puff of logic.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Indeed, shame most of her films were in her older age, super actress and the ideal Gentry lady. Maureen Lipman was too thin and is now far too old, but she's another one that could pull off the Gentry thing right while dealing with Nobby Nobs as a "jolly good chap".
Lady Sybill has to be an awesome figure that people naturally do their best for, that sees the good in everything and especially everyONE, is utterly fearless, makes do and can wear scruffy stuff her ancestors bought to muck out the dragons while having enough money to buy the continent.
Lynda Barron? She was certainly sturdy (in both figure and attitude) and attractive as Nurse Gladys Emmanuel.

kimmi851

Old-Salt
Everyone saying that the author's representatives are agreeing to this and therefore it would be the view of Sir Terry himself - they already cancelled the rights to the board games, which were perfectly in keeping with the spirit of the man and the books. No real reason given just that they didn't like that direction (possibly wanted more income or spin off rights to be auctioned off again for more cash).

Incidentally I have 2 of the board games and they are fantastic!

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Wish they would bring out the game of 'Cripple Mr Onion'

Dicky Ticker

War Hero
Now Maureen Lipman as Granny has some merit I think, and I think I'd put Lisa Tarbuck up for Nanny (as long as she only gets short lines to hide the scouse accent}.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Now Maureen Lipman as Granny has some merit I think, and I think I'd put Lisa Tarbuck up for Nanny (as long as she only gets short lines to hide the scouse accent}.
Stephanie Cole for the perfect Granny.

Nigella for Lady Sybil. After all, Vimes has to shag her so she'd better be attractive........problem with Sean Bean is that he's tending to play himself these days, whereas Vimes is more complex than people give him credit for.

Edited for brevity.

I'd disagree with that statement, most of the 'Flashman' books feature female characters who are strong characters. From his father's mistress through real and fictional women most are carefu

Read 'The Pyrates' more quality female characters than you can shake a stick at and well written.

I would suggest that GMF was a good enough writer to use the right characters in his stories. Unlike TV which seems to be competing to get the most diversity into a story regardless of whether or not it improves it. As long as boxes are ticked.

As an example plucked entirely at random see below:
Yes, I know; I was glaring biliously at the section on my shelf which includes the MacAuslan and 'Quartered' books. Most of the rest were behind the shadow of a Ghanaian mask I've hung on the shelf above. 'The Steel Bonnets' has no shortage of pretty mean women (and from my time in the Borders that tradition is alive). 'Diversity' as a positive quality to be Championed and Celebrated wasn't something much known while GMF was writing, it was a quality to be explored and exploited while shooting, lancing and strangling the bastards while on service in foreign fields. Flash and much of the Quartered tales (and consider many other reminiscences of soldiers in those fields over the centuries) dealt with Johnny Foreigner as a likely equal in resource, intelligence, cunning and threat, but didn't accord them the privilege of being any of those by way of a quota system.

Latest Threads