Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

Which religion is the BBC referring to?
Since when did France have
"In a country which pays for several thousand former generals on the retired and reserve lists, the support of just 20 of them to such explosive language does call for a sense of perspective, the BBC's Hugh Schofield in Paris says"

Calling @fantassin for verification

Graticule. A new word for me.
Also the aiming pattern on a tank gunner's sight, e.g.

Scimitar_GPS_reticle.jpg

Sir,

I find your ideas intriguing to me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

yours,
I'm unable to meet with your request old chap since I have no newsletter.
My post above, whilst cynical, is based purely on my own perception which in turn is based upon my observations of the BBC, it's general broadcasting stance, and of this and other internet forum memberships.

I’m just watching Politics Live and shouting a lot. Why does the BBC keep using Laura Pidcock as an “expert”. She is an ex MP who’s only mantra is how terrible the Conservatives are. Something is going through the TV soon.

I’m just watching Politics Live and shouting a lot. Why does the BBC keep using Laura Pidcock as an “expert”. She is an ex MP who’s only mantra is how terrible the Conservatives are. Something is going through the TV soon.

But admit you'd give her a good middle-digit fingering given half the chance?

I would and I'd resist biting my nails for a month beforehand, the little Trotski minx

1621339457544.png

Not "Half a finger to the left of the tree" Bang! "No,the other tree" ?
First time in the turret on the ranges after years in Command Troop. Round scuffs the target's track. Without hesitation , "ADD A GNAT'S KNACKER!"

Tumbleweed passes in front of Scorpion. I'd forgotten we had an IG demigod (in their own minds. Ask @aghart ) on the back. A gnat's knacker was not a valid gunner's correction. Anyone would have thought I'd p¡ssed on the guidon or something. He looked at me. I looked back at him and smiled knowingly. Luckily he'd been my first proper troop sergeant and vehicle commander.

Pause.

"Carry on."

Phew. Dodged a bullet 76mm HESH round there.

People may think that Marr on Sunday is the BBC's flagship political programme, but until recently it wasn't. The main shows for political amateurs were, until relatively recently, Newsnight on a daily basis and Question Time weekly.

If you want to measure the Beeb's political leaning just look at what has happened to these shop windows..

Newsnight is pointless and unwatchable.

QT is not entirely pointless just yet, but is rapidly heading that way. Guests who even so much as hint that they may be one graticule to starboard of centre are howled down and constantly interrupted. All those with trendy positions or from left leaning organisations are allowed to rant on and given a warm encouraging smile by the fragrant Fiona. QTs only salvation is the audience, which appears to be at least neutral/centrist in their views. I'm sure they will abolish the public audience as soon as they can get away with it.
Well.....

First time in the turret on the ranges after years in Command Troop. Round scuffs the target's track. Without hesitation , "ADD A GNAT'S KNACKER!"

Tumbleweed passes in front of Scorpion. I'd forgotten we had an IG demigod (in their own minds. Ask @aghart ) on the back. A gnat's knacker was not a valid gunner's correction. Anyone would have thought I'd p¡ssed on the guidon or something. He looked at me. I looked back at him and smiled knowingly. Luckily he'd been my first proper troop sergeant and vehicle commander.

Pause.

"Carry on."

Phew. Dodged a bullet 76mm HESH round there.
Pal of mine had a measurement called a "schwar" as in move it a schwar. Never did find out how big a schwar was but it was small.

Since when did France have
"In a country which pays for several thousand former generals on the retired and reserve lists, the support of just 20 of them to such explosive language does call for a sense of perspective, the BBC's Hugh Schofield in Paris says"

Calling @fantassin for verification

This is based on a law of 1839 when the army was much bigger than it is now and there was a need for extra GOs in time of mobilisation.

In France, GOs are not retired, they are placed in the « 2nd section of the GOs » and they, supposedly, can be recalled to the colours if needed. They are sometimes recalled in small numbers for specific tasks but it is rare and for short durations. For example, I once saw a group of 2S GOs rating the tactics exam of the staff college exam.

Before the BBC, Russia Today had already played that card of « there are 5,000 generals in the French army, what for ? ». In fact, there are about 370 serving GOs and a few 1,000s 2S GOs who are retired in all but name.