The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

There is no "right"

Because by "right" what a journalist means is the absolute "right" to roam the battlefield like an independent observer, reporting what he (she) likes when he likes.

Sadly the battlefield does not lend itself to that.

See Terry Lloyd for details
Presumably an officially embedded journalist then becomes the responsibility of whichever unit they are with and their safety becomes another problem to deal with?

Truxx

LE
Presumably an officially embedded journalist then becomes the responsibility of whichever unit they are with and their safety becomes another problem to deal with?
They are the responsibility of the unit.

My fave tale from Iraq was a certain Valentine Low, normally a diary Columnist for the Evening Standard. He was "embedded" with HCR and allocated to a CVRT crew, one of whom was particularly young. Valentine found life a lot rougher than he had expected, but to their great credit looked after him well, including putting up a basha for him one cold wet night, and sorting him a brew. All of which was, apparently, down to the young lad on the crew.

Generally regarded as hard bitten, he wrote " I am not sure what to think about being looked after by someone whose mum sends them sweets"

All TELIC 1 war correspondents ( the correct title, not "embedded") were awarded the Iraq TELIC medal.

Most accepted it too.

As I have said before, you are entitled to your opinion, but, as it is such bollox you post then we have the right to call you out. Why are you such an apologist for Putin? Don't say because that is who pays you, as a Russian diplomate has shown the way by resigning in disgust.

I wonder if he has claimed asylum in Switzerland yet?
I'm not an apologist for anyone and yes, that makes me the problem for having a third opinion. I am required to pick a side by the media, from a binary set of choices that I happen to think are 'evil' and 'even more evil' and like I said, the debating game rules usually then encourage everyone to pile on and attack the dissenting character largely in fear, that there may well be a grain of truth to it.

I'm not an apologist for anyone and yes, that makes me the problem for having a third opinion. I am required to pick a side by the media, from a binary set of choices that I happen to think are 'evil' and 'even more evil' and like I said, the debating game rules usually then encourage everyone to pile on and attack the dissenting character largely in fear, that there may well be a grain of truth to it.
You most definitely are an Orc apologist.

Go away.

All TELIC 1 war correspondents ( the correct title, not "embedded") were awarded the Iraq TELIC medal.
It is just possible that I may still have that spreadsheet - always worth noting which ones quietly accepted the medal but pretended not to have any truck with such recognition and frippery in public... :oops:

Of course, the one who REALLY deserved a medal was the cameraman who decked the less than fragrant TND for nicking his thermal shower bag.

Last edited:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-61524198

They're desperately trying to fan the flames of the dying embers - but even their own summary of the Gray report makes it clear that while Johnson was occasionally present during these gatherings, it was in between meetings.

They must be gutted that the report on the gathering prior to DoE funeral states that Johnson was not in residence.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It seems that the Labour Party and MSM now think the PM's job is not running the country, but policing the corridors of No10 DS. It is like putting the Battalion CO on Canteen Cowboy!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
It seems that the Labour Party and MSM now think the PM's job is not running the country, but policing the corridors of No10 DS. It is like putting the Battalion CO on Canteen Cowboy!
I thought BoJo gave it back quite well, pointing out that Starmer had insisted on his resignation the moment suspicion fell... therefore why hasn't Starmer gone yet?

What comes out of this in my mind though is that the targeting of BoJo personally is because Labour knows that the Tories under BoJo is a successful 'brand'. They need rid of him but can't get him on his policies.

It's so bloody obvious.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
I particularly like the way they speculated on wether there would be a media storm or not. A storm they are desperately trying to fan the flames of - apologies for mixed metaphors/ but you know what I mean.

The BBC in Scotland lead with our dear leaderinette calling on Boris to resign in the wake of the Gray Report. Never mind that the leaderinette herself had a Covid regulation lapse and is mired so many scandals that even Bob Mugabe would have been embarrassed.

To be fair, a better comparison might be with one of Her Majesty's war canoes, where everything is squeezed into one fairly small box, and even the most aloof of captains probably cannot/should not miss Raver-esque shenanigans as he moves around the ship... It is why the US Secret Service hates the place - in the White House, they are used to wide corridors, clear lines of sight, and the ability to shove plebs, even pass-holding plebs, out of the Presidential path. In No10, everything is jumbled up: it is a bit like having the NAAFI next door to the J2 ops cell, next door to the piss stained mattress store.

Truxx

LE
It is just possible that I may still have that spreadsheet - always worth noting which ones quietly accepted the medal but pretended not to have any truck with such recognition and frippery in public... :oops:

Of course, the one who REALLY deserved a medal was the cameraman who decked the less than fragrant TND for nicking his thermal shower bag.
Oooo that spreadsheet needs to be published. After all, they were all gazetted and thus it is already technically in the public domain

That is no way to refer to the Cabinet Office. Report for re-education immediately
It is of course indubitably and completely coincidental that the Captain of HM's biggest war canoe suddenly handed over command yesterday, after ten months at the helm.

And only eighteen months after a leaving do at No10.

"A bloody war and a sickly season," as the toast has it.

Truxx

LE
It is of course indubitably and completely coincidental that the Captain of HM's biggest war canoe suddenly handed over command yesterday, after ten months at the helm.

And only eighteen months after a leaving do at No10.

"A bloody war and a sickly season," as the toast has it.
I trust he didn't have an affair with a female member of a popular (if somewhat long in the tooth) Swedish popular music combo either?