The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

Was it just me this morning, or did I sense a minor state of shock regarding the Beeb and the licence fee

Like , "They wouldn't dare remove it!!!!" ......to ....... "OH!!!!!!, maybe we've just pushed things a bit too far!"
Its certainly unnerved them, by the strength and force of Nadine Dorries argument and it will be very difficult for the party, to now weasel out of delivering on this point.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
BoJo has promised long and delivered short. Sorting the BBC; sorting immigration; sorting all the race-baiting nonsense going on, here; clearing Critical Race Theory out of the education system and so on; oh - and given that this is ARRSE - what happened to bolstering the military?

Everyone is still sitting waiting for things to happen. They're getting bored.
While I agree with you to an extent, most commentators miss out the fact that Boris has had a pandemic to deal with one that virtually emptied the Treasury and took up quite a bit of his time.
What Boris has ignored and paying for now is the fact that, as PM, he is constantly in the spotlight and has to be squeaky clean. Not helped of course by a virulently anti Boris media.

On top of this he has and is poorly served by those around him, poor choices by him, and I include SWMBO in this. Cummings has been an absolute bastard, drip feeding the stories to ensure this story does not go away. He is definitely on a revenge trail.

Lastly, nobody is doing any analysis of what went right, and there is much, and also how or what the Opposition have to offer (nothing from what I see).

All in all Boris has kept this country's head above water at a particularly bad time.

Note at no point have I mentioneded the barstewards over La Manche!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
While I agree with you to an extent, most commentators miss out the fact that Boris has had a pandemic to deal with one that virtually emptied the Treasury and took up quite a bit of his time.
What Boris has ignored and paying for now is the fact that, as PM, he is constantly in the spotlight and has to be squeaky clean. Not helped of course by a virulently anti Boris media.

On top of this he has and is poorly served by those around him, poor choices by him, and I include SWMBO in this. Cummings has been an absolute bastard, drip feeding the stories to ensure this story does not go away. He is definitely on a revenge trail.

Lastly, nobody is doing any analysis of what went right, and there is much, and also how or what the Opposition have to offer (nothing from what I see).

All in all Boris has kept this country's head above water at a particularly bad time.

Note at no point have I mentioneded the barstewards over La Manche!
Aye. To all of that.

However, some effective delegation would have helped.

There was a woman on the Today programme this morning, who was obviously some BBC big-wig. Her view of the BBC licence argument was that you can't do without the BBC because they deliver 24 hr rolling news and educational programmes. Apparently the licence fee is not a tax, it's a compulsory fee raised on everyone who consumes live TV, which is clearly a completely different thing. She also said that they have compulsory broadcast fees raised in Germany, Belgium, France and other EU countries and you don't hear them complaining. Also, the Beeb wouldn't work as a subscription service because then you'd get the wrong kind of programmes.

Really? Really?

She has quite clearly never talked about this with anyone who doesn't work for the BBC. All the things she sees as strengths are what everyone else sees as the problems. With that mindset, it will never change.

As for compulsory fees in European countries, Germany had a similar scheme to UK until a few years ago. If you didn't own a TV you didn't pay the GEZ. Unfortunately a lot of people stopped owning TVs and the money began to dry up. So they made a new law that all households and business premises have to pay the fee whether they consume or not. If you live in a flat above your shop, you pay twice. The Germans complain like buggery about this, but the government and media won't bring it into the public limelight, so, as she quite rightly says, "you don't hear them complaining".

Aye. To all of that.

However, some effective delegation would have helped.
A Government that is in tune with the people should see a crisis as an opportunity to smash the consensus. The rising energy prices, it was a chance to scrap the green levy and drive down the price and at the same time cut the foreign aid budget even deeper and stood on a platform of looking after our own first.

Boris isn't socially conservative, he never had a working conservative economic programme that I could ever fathom and his one vision was the green revolution, that excites almost nobody outside of London.

As Auld Yin said; the Covid took up most of his working day, but this government has spent two years avoiding arguments. Even the non-lockdown this christmas which was a signature triumph. It was allowed to pass without a serious attack on all those forces calling for a lockdown and if you don't engage with the enemy, eventually they're are going to start landing blows heavy enough to hurt.

The Government could of easily called the BBC's bluff and said OK, quick referendum on whether the populous ant to continue with the licence fee and the BBC should become subscription only...I would have a serious doubt it would be 52/48 split.

The Government could of easily called the BBC's bluff and said OK, quick referendum on whether the populous ant to continue with the licence fee and the BBC should become subscription only...I would have a serious doubt it would be 52/48 split.
What bluff?
The gvmt cannot simply stop the fee without warning.
years warning seems reasonable to me.

What bluff?
The gvmt cannot simply stop the fee without warning.
years warning seems reasonable to me.
It wouldn't have been, vote cast..if result favours abandoning the licence fee then 12-24 months for BBC to sort funding, also make it unenforceable if you refuse to pay in that 12 -24 months . Job Jobbed...BBC sorted bring on crime and punishment.

It wouldn't have been, vote cast..if result favours abandoning the licence fee then 12-24 months for BBC to sort funding, also make it unenforceable if you refuse to pay in that 12 -24 months . Job Jobbed...BBC sorted bring on crime and punishment.
Following that, make the green levy on energy bills voluntary.
Put your money where your mouth is hippies...

Or just deleted the legal sanction with an act of parliament. Any conservative MP who supports the BBC should be de-selected and its these kinds of issues that lets us the public know exactly who the enemy is.

Or just deleted the legal sanction with an act of parliament. Any conservative MP who supports the BBC should be de-selected and its these kinds of issues that lets us the public know exactly who the enemy is.

You've never quite grasped that whole wry humour thing, have you?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
There was a woman on the Today programme this morning, who was obviously some BBC big-wig. Her view of the BBC licence argument was that you can't do without the BBC because they deliver 24 hr rolling news and educational programmes. Apparently the licence fee is not a tax, it's a compulsory fee raised on everyone who consumes live TV, which is clearly a completely different thing. She also said that they have compulsory broadcast fees raised in Germany, Belgium, France and other EU countries and you don't hear them complaining. Also, the Beeb wouldn't work as a subscription service because then you'd get the wrong kind of programmes.

Really? Really?

She has quite clearly never talked about this with anyone who doesn't work for the BBC. All the things she sees as strengths are what everyone else sees as the problems. With that mindset, it will never change.

As for compulsory fees in European countries, Germany had a similar scheme to UK until a few years ago. If you didn't own a TV you didn't pay the GEZ. Unfortunately a lot of people stopped owning TVs and the money began to dry up. So they made a new law that all households and business premises have to pay the fee whether they consume or not. If you live in a flat above your shop, you pay twice. The Germans complain like buggery about this, but the government and media won't bring it into the public limelight, so, as she quite rightly says, "you don't hear them complaining".
Rolling news is a scourge, not a blessing. Get rid.

Educational programmes? How much of the total budget do they consume (and no, you can't roll in big-ticket Attenborough stuff... I mean the OU-type stuff)?

The 'wrong type of programmes'? Quality stuff such as this?

BBC Three - Nail Bar Boys

..stop pulling my písser.

People wouldn't be complaining if the 'quality programming' really was quality. They wouldn't be complaining if the programming wasn't Woke nonsense which alienates the majority by continually accusing it of prejudice or over-promoting the sometime-dubious virtues of the minorities (whilst conveniently ignoring their vices). They wouldn't be complaining if the news reflected the agenda/events, rather than trying to set/dictate it/them.

People are switching off because what is being produced and broadcasted is skewed, prejudiced and amateurish. Not because they are prejudiced or 'wrong' but because the content is gash.

Last edited:
World Service last night (I couldn't sleep again)

Some climate change thing about Borneo
Trump grr
Some other climate change thing with Steven Spacker.

It's not even funny anymore. I put on WRN, which had a programme about Poland. Very interesting, the sort of thing that Radio 4 used to do so well.

You've never quite grasped that whole wry humour thing, have you?
One wishes that you could be deleted along with that legal demand. I sub the Beeb, for them to preach how terrible I am and how much my ancestors were even worse and on here, people with a determination to throw sarcasm around like its on sale at poundland are forever on the sniff to derail a thread.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Grade was on this morning and nearly gave Robinson a heart attack when he suggested that BBC2, 3 & 4 are a bit pointless, considering the number of channels now available. Nick the Baldy's voice rose a whole octave... :D

One wishes that you could be deleted along with that legal demand. I sub the Beeb, for them to preach how terrible I am and how much my ancestors were even worse and on here, people with a determination to throw sarcasm around like its on sale at poundland are forever on the sniff to derail a thread.

Calm your tits, Doris.

Derailing threads by hosing them down with quasi-English blether and piffle is your raison d'être.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Apparently they've got the big guns out:

Dan Walker from BBC Breakfast (£295K pa)
Adil Ray (Who he? creator of Citizen Khan apparently)
Simon Day (off the Fast Show two decades ago)
Gary Lineker, the Walkers spokesperson (£1.3M pa)

With a defence like this Nadine Dorries should be rid of the lot of them by teatime....

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Apparently they've got the big guns out:

Dan Walker from BBC Breakfast (£295K pa)
Adil Ray (Who he? creator of Citizen Khan apparently)
Simon Day (off the Fast Show two decades ago)
Gary Lineker, the Walkers spokesperson (£1.3M pa)

With a defence like this Nadine Dorries should be rid of the lot of them by teatime....
[Lineker's] defence of the licence fee amounted to retweeting the self-justificatory content put out by the Corporation's press office and declaring that it was 'something true patriots of our country should be proud of' as 'the BBC is revered, respected and envied around the world.'

I shouldn't be but I'm utterly aghast that an organisation which has done so much to undermine and deride this country, especially in the last two to three years, can play the patriotism card.

Just get it done. Get it done and get it gone.

What it claims to be is long, long past.

Last edited:
The entire coterie of perverts and anti-British wokeratti can cease to exist and attempt to work in the commercial world as far as I am concerned.

The Beeb has hardly helped to combat the cultural destruction being heaped upon us and for it to suddenly decide it wants to be British is sheer, unadulterated brass neck.

Latest Threads