The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

Not like the BBC to sit on the fence...

(The BBC have paid Michael Morpurgo to write a short story about a 'child' invader migrant crossing The Channel to get to the UK.)

and it will end up in the Xmas addition of the Radio Times

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
No, they are not. Do we have land borders with Kurdistan or sub-Saharan Africa?

They are economic migrants.

I'm living abroad with a non-UK partner and kids. I am currently not looking at jobs at home due to the cost and hassle associated with their residency etc*.

Maybe I should just fly back and leave them to take their chances at Calais? It might be a darn sight quicker!

*and to a certain extent the principle

Seems that Al beeb is pretty unpopular here as well

259612255_863623790972677_3131892434268416503_n.jpg

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
I'm living abroad with a non-UK partner and kids. I am currently not looking at jobs at home due to the cost and hassle associated with their residency etc*.

Maybe I should just fly back and leave them to take their chances at Calais? It might be a darn sight quicker!

Bit of a thread drift I know, but this is essentially the problem. Make things hard for people who have choices and skills, and they don’t come. People who have neither however, will spend years going through whatever torturous paperwork/process you invent.

We used to work in the USA on an H1B visa (highly skilled occupation). One of the reasons we left was that we just couldn’t be arsed doing the green card process, it was easier to come back to Europe. The place where I was is now totally dominated by Indian and Chinese people who will put up with any indignity to avoid going home.

Edit: See also Trump asking why there are not more Norwegians in the US.

Last edited:

The beaches of Dover are the only place you can be guaranteed an ambulance

BBC Climate Change Service, early hours today. It seems the BBC are now spending taxpayers money trawling the internet, looking for people who disagree with them. The programme "Trending" was about what they called climate change deniers, presented by two young-sounding women in a dismissive and dare I say scoffing tone.

Back to C-SPAN.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I warm to her every time the leftists call her dumb. It is amazing how they demean every successful minority and woman in government.
They spend their lives avoiding exposure to alternative ideas. They assume that people who tick one of their ‘isn’t boxes should share theirs views. When they discover that some don’t they cast them as traitors and nobody likes a traitor.

I warm to her every time the leftists call her dumb. It is amazing how they demean every successful minority and woman in government.
And yet they harbour nandy and that spunkbucket, rayner who evolves ever closer to a victoria wood comedy northerner on a daily basis

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Make no mistake. Munchetty is there because she ticks boxes, not because of ability.
Sadly, I think you're wrong there; she's an able presenter ideal for the "soft" current affairs BBC Breakfast format. Munchetty is adept at playing the fluffy couch dweller up on all the social trends and what's happening on Strictly and DeadEnders, always ready with a crap joke or an "Aaawwww" for pics of cute kittens. She's also an effective blocker of political interviews, never getting any revelations (as that's not what she is trying to get) but always doing her best to portray government ministers as EVIL TORIES, and giving oppo MPs an easy ride.

She's very good at her job, and the Beeb hierarchy probably think she's worth every penny..

They're sat it again on BBC Climate Change Service: a potentially interesting programme about Cold Water Therapy, where people take cold baths and swim in the sea to alleviate anxiety. "Now, your swimming club is 97% white..."

FFS.

They're sat it again on BBC Climate Change Service: a potentially interesting programme about Cold Water Therapy, where people take cold baths and swim in the sea to alleviate anxiety. "Now, your swimming club is 97% white..."

FFS.
Should have replied that it’s due to the bleaching effect of salt water, just to watch the report’s head explode.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Evan Davies was hammering out that one yesterday evening, along with the "more people have left the UK than arrived" line.

He was giving some Aussie guy a smugging and when he countered the BBC talking points was met with smarmy "Oh go on then, give us your opinion" in a mocking tone.

Aussie got his own back when Davies referenced a Guardian article to which he replied "Oh, that'll be objective then."
Twinkle-tits does a good line in smug, doesn't he?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Sadly, I think you're wrong there; she's an able presenter ideal for the "soft" current affairs BBC Breakfast format. Munchetty is adept at playing the fluffy couch dweller up on all the social trends and what's happening on Strictly and DeadEnders, always ready with a crap joke or an "Aaawwww" for pics of cute kittens. She's also an effective blocker of political interviews, never getting any revelations (as that's not what she is trying to get) but always doing her best to portray government ministers as EVIL TORIES, and giving oppo MPs an easy ride.

She's very good at her job, and the Beeb hierarchy probably think she's worth every penny..
Fair comments. I agree - she's able. But she very much ticks boxes in terms of her political leanings.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer