The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

And Michael Gove.

Hmmmm.

He likes journalists, he's just spilt from his wife (A journalist) and she's a closet tory standing down from front line political reporting for undisclosed reasons. They are known to have had an 'arrangement' too. We may well be onto something.
Gove prefers to catch the bus from the other side of the street.

Whilst I am annoyed at the way TV companies post reporters to talk outside Downing Street/Parliament/Buck House etc at 10:00 at night about something that happened in the day and is just pointless staging; I do feel a lot of happiness if it's pissing down. However, I feel sorry for the lower paid (normal pay like the rest of us) local TV/radio reporters who seem to spend most of the day at the scene of some local incident in a mobile studio van, coffee in paper cups and no toilet for miles.
Thanks to mobile sim technology 'lives' can be done via a box the size of a cereal packet. No comfy satellite trucks to shelter in..

Site Admin

War Hero
I know it's nothing to do with Political Bias but in the spirit of general BBC bashing what the **** is 'I Like the Way You Move' about? Why is the BBC paying for trash television? According the non-stop plugging its a reality tv show where dancers are encouraged to shag each other. Strictly cum Love Island's Big Brother being fronted by a male bimbo from a reality tv show about supposedly posh people.

Real gutter tv.

LOL I don’t watch the telly let alone Strictly, but I read enough of the Daily Mail to know about the ‘Strictly Curse’ and how this gets a lot of traction in the tabloid media whenever it happens. I daresay it also drives up ratings when a contestant marriage breaks down halfway through the series. Someone at the Climate Change Broadcasting Corporation must‘ve cottoned on to this as it’s happened so often that this new programme appears to be a safe space for dancers to shag without such moral scrutiny, which I applaud. Yentob would be proud.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just watched BBC Breakfast. They were interviewing Dr Chris Smith, the Naked Scientist. He’s a virologist. He’s gone completely off message. He was basically agreeing with the government. He was pointing out that our rates are not as bad as some panic mongers want them to be and we are doing better than many other countries. He was also pointing out that panicking now has consequences for the economy, education and public welfare.

Just watched BBC Breakfast. They were interviewing Dr Chris Smith, the Naked Scientist. He’s a virologist. He’s gone completely off message. He was basically agreeing with the government. He was pointing out that our rates are not as bad as some panic mongers want them to be and we are doing better than many other countries. He was also pointing out that panicking now has consequences for the economy, education and public welfare.
Whereas the Professor (Openshaw) they had on earlier was all doom and gloom, imploring the Government to consider another lockdown before Christmas! It really is depressing and confusing in equal measure.
Whatever happened to Vaccine Protection and Herd Immunity?
Someone’s telling porkies!

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
And I'll say it again: infection rates are largely meaningless if the virus has become less lethal.

You might as well walk up the street putting blobs of blue paint on people and then demand lockdown because everyone is covered in blue paint.

If Covid has evolved, as viruses do*, to become less lethal then so what?

Also (here, I get accused of -isms...) of the people being infected, have they been vaccinated and how are they conducting themselves socially? If their infections are largely their own faults, because they're anti-vaxxers or are behaving irresponsibly, then crack on.

*Spanish Flu, which killed millions after WWI, is still around but now not much more than a sniffle. If viruses remain too lethal they kill off their hosts - not a good thing in virus-world.

Whereas the Professor they had on earlier was all doom and gloom, imploring the Government to consider another lockdown before Christmas! It really is depressing and confusing in equal measure.
Whatever happened to Vaccine Protection and Herd Immunity?
Someone’s telling porkies!
The BBC's default setting is to report anything or anyone that is opposite to the government. It need not be true as along as it reinforces a message that the government is ignoring stats (cherry picked), advice (from an undisclosed labour-activist health worker I.e someone who works part time in a pharmacy), or best practice (Kyrgyzstan's mask wearing protocols)

Even if the government does do something that the majority of expert opinion agree on, it'll be denounced as too little, too late by the dullards they can get on the tellybox

And I'll say it again: infection rates are largely meaningless if the virus has become less lethal.
Indeed, I'm waiting to see comparable infection rates, hospitalisations, and deaths for the current Flu season

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The BBC's default setting is to report anything or anyone that is opposite to the government. It need not be true as along as it reinforces a message that the government is ignoring stats (cherry picked), advice (from an undisclosed labour-activist health worker I.e someone who works part time in a pharmacy), or best practice (Kyrgyzstan's mask wearing protocols)

Even if the government does do something that the majority of expert opinion agree on, it'll be denounced as too little, too late by the dullards they can get on the tellybox
"Holding the government to account", apparently.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

You might as well walk up the street putting blobs of blue paint on people and then demand lockdown because everyone is covered in blue paint.

If Covid has evolved, as viruses do*, to become less lethal then so what?

Also (here, I get accused of -isms...) of the people being infected, have they been vaccinated and how are they conducting themselves socially? If their infections are largely their own faults, because they're anti-vaxxers or are behaving irresponsibly, then crack on.

*Spanish Flu, which killed millions after WWI, is still around but now not much more than a sniffle. If viruses remain too lethal they kill off their hosts - not a good thing in virus-world.
My grandmother was abed for several months with Spanish Flu. Not expected to survive but she did.

Fortunately she has avoided getting COVID, which would probably be leathal now. Would be a bit of a bugger surviving Spanish Flu to get carried off by Covid.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
To be fair it is the job of responsible media to hold the government to account on our behalf. They should ask the questions we would like to ask. It is not their job to oppose the government or to try and force the government to do things.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
My grandmother was abed for several months with Spanish Flu. Not expected to survive but she did.

Fortunately she has avoided getting COVID, which would probably be leathal now. Would be a bit of a bugger surviving Spanish Flu to get carried off by Covid.
Absolutely. Fingers crossed. I hope sincerely that doesn't happen.

The point is though that viruses' lethality degrades. It has to for the virus itself to survive.

Andrew Neil covered this off months ago: the BBC/MSM have been talking up infection rates. What's important, and being ignored, is hospitalisations and fatalities. See blue paint blobs.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
To be fair it is the job of responsible media to hold the government to account on our behalf. They should ask the questions we would like to ask. It is not their job to oppose the government or to try and force the government to do things.
See bold. Aye.

But what we've seen is constant attempted 'Gotcha!' moments.

Could it not also be possible for (responsible) media to hold HM 'loyal' opposition to account?

No, with respect, it is not. Their responsibility is to report the news accurately and fairly. If there is something wrong with Government, national or local, it is a valid subject for the media to report on - and that has long been the case as "investigative journalism".

"Holding Government to account" is a self-assumed role that formed no part of journalism when I was trained in the 60s. As has been said before in this thread, HM Opposition has the job of holding Government to account.

Latest Threads