The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
@GreyArea happy to spaff out disagrees & dumbs for posts that don't conform to your views but won't engage in discussion? Are you damanbugs?

All I know
Do you know? Or are you making a guess based on gut feelings?
is we're having our pants pulled down by some fake 'ologists',
Fake? Which people have faked their academic credentials?
paying for the privilege based on some numbers massaged to show what the money behind the agenda wants us to see
What is the evidence for this massaging of data?
with no measurable, empirical facts.
The Earth's global average temperature is increasing. The atmospheric carbon dioxide levels correlate very strongly with global average temperature. Those are measurable, empirical facts.
There are lies, damn lies & statistics - and (to get it back on topic) the BBC have embraced it as it's saviour - the BBC can't be criticised or binned if it's saving the planet - right?
Good thing there's no one moaning about the BBC on here then.
Taking the long view (small.... far away, to quote Fr. Ted) enables you to see a broader scope, not just the bit under the magnifying glass. Or as it's also known, context.
Most people would think the global temperatures since the last ice age to be sufficient context, given the increase in temperatures linked to human use of fossil fuels only applies from the Industrial Revolution. Under 300 years in the last 22,000 represents less than 1.5% of that time. Pretty reasonable context.

To do what you have suggested ie. include all temperature measurements ever made and all temperature estimations ever produced is not providing context, it's seeking to hide a needle in a haystack.

I've made this point before and I'll make it again, what is commonly repeated in the media about climate change is frequently bollocks from both sides. If you want to read the last discussion I had about this it's here - https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...-say-last-chance.286979/page-97#post-10902728 (feel free to skip to the pretty graph halfway down for the relevant bit). NASA's worst case prediction is a global temperature increase of 4 degrees Celsius in a century.

By all means take issue with the loons who claim all animals will be dead by 2030 (an actual extinction rebellion claim) but claiming global warming is a massive worldwide conspiracy puts you among the moon landing deniers or Covid is caused by 5G crowd.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
... but claiming global warming is a massive worldwide conspiracy puts you among the moon landing deniers or Covid is caused by 5G crowd.
That's not what I've said or claimed - and I have commented and opinionated on the subject before in other threads, climate change is ineviatable and measurable, the causation of it is what is debatable, that's where long-term measurements give context. I'm not a scientist or academic, just 'the man on the Clapham omnibus' in all this, what I am being told does not seem reasonable, particularly given the many cries of wolf in the past.

That's not what I've said or claimed - and I have commented and opinionated on the subject before in other threads, climate change is ineviatable and measurable, the causation of it is what is debatable, that's where long-term measurements give context. I'm not a scientist or academic, just 'the man on the Clapham omnibus' in all this, what I am being told does not seem reasonable, particularly given the many cries of wolf in the past.
Apologies, I've misinterpreted your post then. Previously people have started down the 'data is being manipulated' route as a prelude to claim global warming isn't happening and it's just being made up to secure funding.

I agree with you about crying wolf and the way that environmental activists (greenpeace, extinction rebellion, people with a book to sell etc.) seem to be incapable of sticking to the facts.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Do you know? Or are you making a guess based on gut feelings?

I know what my opinion is, based upon what I know. Unless i've missed something, my opinion is as valid as anyone else's. It may be wrong compared to that of others, but to me, it's correct until someone can convince me to change it.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Apologies, I've misinterpreted your post then. Previously people have started down the 'data is being manipulated' route as a prelude to claim global warming isn't happening and it's just being made up to secure funding.

I agree with you about crying wolf and the way that environmental activists (greenpeace, extinction rebellion, people with a book to sell etc.) seem to be incapable of sticking to the facts.
It is being used to secure funding - and create business cases no-one dare argue with, something the BBC seem to have embraced in my opinion.

@GreyArea happy to spaff out disagrees & dumbs for posts that don't conform to your views but won't engage in discussion? Are you damanbugs?

Yes

Considering I've over 20 odd years as a professional geologist under my belt and probably know a considerable bit more about how the climatology data is arrived at than you.

However, you keep spouting crap and I'll keep disagreeing. Ortholith's already given you a couple of good replies to your more random statements which I fully agree with. You've also been given a couple of links to webpages hosted by the planet's foremost earth observation organisation which also explain in simple terms why your statements are wrong.

Anyways, enjoy your evening.

I know what my opinion is, based upon what I know. Unless i've missed something, my opinion is as valid as anyone else's. It may be wrong compared to that of others, but to me, it's correct until someone can convince me to change it.
If you'd said "I know that my opinion is we're having our pants pulled down by some fake 'ologists' " I wouldn't have said anything about it. 'Know' by itself implies you have independent evidence.

Bringing it vaguely back on topic, there are plenty of posters on here who know that the BBC is a Marxist plot to undermine democracy. Chances are on the woke version of ARRSE there are some who know that the BBC are a Tory plot to undermine diversity and equality and only broadcast Conservative propaganda. Both are opinion, not demonstrable fact.

It is being used to secure funding - and create business cases no-one dare argue with, something the BBC seem to have embraced in my opinion.
Funding is available because there is something to research. I've said it before, if someone can prove that man-made global warming is not real they will be famous and guaranteed a Nobel prize, far more than most researchers will ever achieve.

People complain about the data being gathered but the data itself is not at fault, it's the misuse of that data by activists which causes the problems.

It's the same situation with stop and search statistics, no one moans about the ONS collating statistics about police searches, the ethnicity of the people being searched etc. No one is suggesting that stop and search is being made up to get the ONS more funding. There is a justified complaint that those statistics are being used in a misleading way to suggest the police are institutionally racist without any sort of analysis of other factors involved.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes

Considering I've over 20 odd years as a professional geologist under my belt and probably know a considerable bit more about how the climatology data is arrived at than you.

However, you keep spouting crap and I'll keep disagreeing. Ortholith's already given you a couple of good replies to your more random statements which I fully agree with. You've also been given a couple of links to webpages hosted by the planet's foremost earth observation organisation which also explain in simple terms why your statements are wrong.

Anyways, enjoy your evening.
Given your stance, your username is amusing
I was told a long time ago that no-one can make you feel inferior without your own consent - and you don't have mine. Your claim to some sort of higher understanding or knowledge, making my opinion somehow 'wrong' wont wash, sonny boy.

You're not the only one that can be patronising, you know,

Given your stance, your username is amusing
I was told a long time ago that no-one can make you feel inferior without your own consent - and you don't have mine. Your claim to some sort of higher understanding or knowledge, making my opinion somehow 'wrong' wont wash, sonny boy.

You're not the only one that can be patronising, you know,

Meh, Opinions are like ar*eholes.

Everyone's got one.

And most are full of sh*t.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Meh, Opinions are like ar*eholes.

Everyone's got one.

And most are full of sh*t.
You appear to have been over-indulged and got one at both ends.
Enjoy your evening :D

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Funnily enough, have a look at Russel Brand's YouTube channel: it's amusing because he's realised how badly the Dems lied about Trump (Russian involvement, Ivermectin, etc) and it's funny to watch him ripping into the lying Clinton cünts and all the previously on-side snowflakes wailing and gnashing their teeth at him.
Then fair play to him because at least he's calling it out, not just pandering to a populist, and lucrative, standpoint.

I keep watching Thomas Sowell, for whom I have a lot of time:

All I know is we're having our pants pulled down by some fake 'ologists', paying for the privilege based on some numbers massaged to show what the money behind the agenda wants us to see with no measurable, empirical facts. There are lies, damn lies & statistics - and (to get it back on topic) the BBC have embraced it as it's saviour - the BBC can't be criticised or binned if it's saving the planet - right?

Sure, there are lumps and bumps in climate - otherwise we wouldn't need weather forecasts. Taking the long view (small.... far away, to quote Fr. Ted) enables you to see a broader scope, not just the bit under the magnifying glass. Or as it's also known, context.
"Hockey sticks!" is the new "Fiddlesticks!" It's the rapidly increasing rate of change in the temperature in recent years that's alarming, not so much the scale... yet.

Previous changes have stretched over centuries or even millennia, not just a few decades.

Hypocritical old twat he is telling us that flying is bad, feck me how many air miles as he racked up?
Always makes me chuckle/annoyed that while we are being lectured on how we are screwing up the planet..said reporter/presenter has rocked up in the location via a ruddy great helicopter/plane carrying more kit than you could humanly use.

To add the BBC are probably the worse for this especially when sending reporters to locations where "adverse" weather is happening, so not only adding to the CO2 emissions getting there, but hampering the emergency services and also putting themselves at risk by being there and therefore diverting resources from those that are really in need.....

Only for the whole thing to be repeated from the safety of a studio...

I used to enjoy listening to BBC Radio 4 shows such as The News Quiz, Just a Minute and I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue but they've become vehicles for SJWs, Wokeism and Cultural Marxists. The same goes for all BBC television 'comedy'. This comment sums up the state of BBC 'comedy' these days...

adg09yj_460s.jpg

And not one of the nutty doom merchants ever want to point the finger at the current areas that are breeding us to death, Asia, Africa, S. & C. America, eg India Population 1947 c. 350 million, today almost 1.4 BILLION and due to double in next 20 odd years!!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
And not one of the nutty doom merchants ever want to point the finger at the current areas that are breeding us to death, Asia, Africa, S. & C. America, eg India Population 1947 c. 350 million, today almost 1.4 BILLION and due to double in next 20 odd years!!
Yebbut they is being held in poverty by colonial oppression an' that and they is having to breed so much because of infant mortality an' because of the British or sum fink, who, like, assassinated Ann Ritzah and the Delhi Llama.

Latest Threads