The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

Flour and bread next.

As @Cloth bomber suggested, someone is working a grid here.
I think there is something in that, although I also think it may be part of a post-Brexit cathartic process that must be endured. Kind of a drawn-out metamorphosis that will eventually change the way things are done in Britain. Hopefully one of those things is a rebirth of social conscience, which seems to have suffered a sad demise.

TamH70

MIA
This evening jeremy bowen claimed that 'Western troops were ousted by the taliban six weeks ago'.
Funny, I thought it was an incontinent old scrote name of biden.

... Does TCB the Second still work at Al Beeb then? I am only arsking because I thought that he'd sloped off to Al Jazeera?

Truxx

LE
I think there is something in that, although I also think it may be part of a post-Brexit cathartic process that must be endured. Kind of a drawn-out metamorphosis that will eventually change the way things are done in Britain. Hopefully one of those things is a rebirth of social conscience, which seems to have suffered a sad demise.
Nope.

deliberate stoking of the embers of projekt fear.

for no other reason than to smugly claim "I told you so"

for many, being right is more important than doing right.

What's new with this fuel crisis is, it has been knowingly created by the BBC. There were shortages at under ten petrol stations out of thousands; the BBC hypes the story and willfully creates a panic. It is a state-funded broadcaster directly and pretty openly working against the country. And broadcasting tonight as if it had nowt to do with it. It is subversion of truth, like something out of 1984.
I'm tamping tbh.

Well, what's wrong with shouting "Fire!" in a crowded theatre if it gets you a news story about people being trampled to death because the Tories used Brexit to deport all the foreigners who used to ensure the fire exits were clear?

What's new with this fuel crisis is, it has been knowingly created by the BBC. There were shortages at under ten petrol stations out of thousands; the BBC hypes the story and willfully creates a panic. It is a state-funded broadcaster directly and pretty openly working against the country. And broadcasting tonight as if it had nowt to do with it. It is subversion of truth, like something out of 1984.
I'm tamping tbh.
Careful or you'll start a run on tin foil too.

Well, what's wrong with shouting "Fire!" in a crowded theatre if it gets you a news story about people being trampled to death because the Tories used Brexit to deport all the foreigners who used to ensure the fire exits were clear?
Not BBC, but sort of linked. Nina Myskow was on Jeremy Vine's telly show this morning, usual anti government ranting etc. She really is becoming a nasty, bitter woman. Anyway, they were discussing the fuel issue and, of course, she blames it all on Brexit. She used the expression 'johnny foreigner' a lot. I doubt that someone not on the left would get away with that.

Careful or you'll start a run on tin foil too.
You don't think it's odd that, on a day when there are under ten garages in the whole UK without petrol, the BBC sends reporters and cameras to those garages (a decision to focus on an issue and run with it - and it isn't just 'reporting events' as a lot of things get no news coverage), makes it a leading news story; and repeatedly says on air that people might panic if there is no petrol? While at the same time constantly pushing the 'it is because of Brexit' narrative, even when it is denied by those in the industry?

After numerous studies have analysed the BBC's coverage of issues and reported that its coverage is heavily weighted in favour of pro-EU/anti-Brexit opinion? After the BBC has appointed a person who has made numerous public anti-Brexit, and anti-Conservative comments (as well as tweets in support of BLM; directly critical of the PM, etc) as Head of News, despite the BBC being required to be impartial?* What impact does it have on what BBC journalists produce, do you think, if they know their senior manager is against Brexit, pro-BLM, etc?

If you believe the BBC is impartial, an isn't pushing an anti-Brexit and anti-government agenda (after the BBC spending a week earlier this year obsessively pushing a story about the PM's wallpaper) then I won't need to get my own tinfoil hat, I'll just borrow yours.

*And the nature of her opinions isn't a bad thing because they are anti - government: if Labour gets into power, people will be concerned because she may appear to be too pro-government. That's why impartiality is important.

Last edited:
You don't think it's odd that, on a day when there are under ten garages in the whole UK without petrol, the BBC sends reporters and cameras to those garages (a decision to focus on an issue and run with it - and it isn't just 'reporting events' as a lot of things get no news coverage), makes it a leading news story; and repeatedly says on air that people might panic if there is no petrol? While at the same time constantly pushing the 'it is because of Brexit' narrative, even when it is denied by those in the industry?

If you believe the BBC is impartial, an isn't pushing an anti-Brexit and anti-government agenda (after the BBC spending a week earlier this year obsessively pushing a story about the PM's wallpaper) then I won't need to get my own tinfoil hat, I'll just borrow yours.

I don't think it's odd. Sky were going harder on the same story to the extent where mates of mine were complaining that they were being sent to garages to find queues that weren't there.

With regards anti-government bias, I'm right at the heart of the political coverage of the Labour conference and would suggest you're half right but have it arrse about face.

Not BBC, but sort of linked. Nina Myskow was on Jeremy Vine's telly show this morning, usual anti government ranting etc. She really is becoming a nasty, bitter woman. Anyway, they were discussing the fuel issue and, of course, she blames it all on Brexit. She used the expression 'johnny foreigner' a lot. I doubt that someone not on the left would get away with that.

One of the Berkshire Myskows ?

I don't think it's odd. Sky were going harder on the same story to the extent where mates of mine were complaining that they were being sent to garages to find queues that weren't there.

With regards anti-government bias, I'm right at the heart of the political coverage of the Labour conference and would suggest you're half right but have it arrse about face.
It is about perception I suppose. I spoke to someone yesterday evening who thought the BBC was trying to make the Labour conference seem successful, despite issues. The BBC is not going to please everyone, in fairness. Fwiw, I do listen to the BBC and want it to be impartial. It still does many things well. I am genuinely surprised that it appointed someone of Jess Brammar's political persuasions as Head of News. Why would the Corporation even go there?

It is about perception I suppose. I spoke to someone yesterday evening who thought the BBC was trying to make the Labour conference seem successful, despite issues. The BBC is not going to please everyone, in fairness. Fwiw, I do listen to the BBC and want it to be impartial. It still does many things well. I am genuinely surprised that it appointed someone of Jess Brammar's political persuasions as Head of News. Why would the Corporation even go there?

That the Beeb does anything well is simply a matter of being overlooked. It will be corrected in time.

Also, I'm surprised at your surprise.

That the Beeb does anything well is simply a matter of being overlooked. It will be corrected in time.

Also, I'm surprised at your surprise.
Yep. On reflection, not the right word. Not surprised but marveling at the arrogance of the BBC.

For the sake of clarity, no comments are directed at @bigeye - just at the Corp.

Logistics were able to deliver supplies these past nine months. But suddenly, it all goes to pot ?
To me, the haulage industry treats its drivers like s*** and why wouldn't many retire or switch jobs to something local. They're(industry) along with the farming union were the ones who simply refused to engage with Brexit and have being demanding visas. So the sniff test does suggest some measure of orchestration and the media were pre-informed of the event and ready to capture the early shortages.

I would have liked the BBC to stand apart from Sky and actually try to dig into the story more and actually be a flagship broadcaster that makes its own mind up and doesn't follow the twitter herd. Its this kind of thing which has undermined trust in society and the BBC is a lost cause to me, because most damning of all 'its nothing, but just another broadcaster' and raises questions then about why I should be compelled by law to pay it.

Truxx

LE
A measure of the distance that the BBC have diverged from decent journalism is encapsulated by stuff like this:

"Fuel shortages continue to cause problems across the UK . Let's go across to our political correspondent May Kittup in Wesminster"

Not "our business editor Ava Bargain in a greasy spoon on the A1" or even "our Transport correspondent Truxx in Leeming Truckstop"

So right from the outset the die is cast.

There is so much more that the Beeb should be doing here, properly digging into things, but no. Superficial coverage, lazy journalism and a propensity for saying nowt by way of correction (the "inform" bit of the charter) if folks get the wrong end of the stick.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A measure of the distance that the BBC have diverged from decent journalism is encapsulated by stuff like this:

"Fuel shortages continue to cause problems across the UK . Let's go across to our political correspondent May Kittup in Wesminster"

Not "our business editor Ava Bargain in a greasy spoon on the A1" or even "our Transport correspondent Truxx in Leeming Truckstop"

So right from the outset the die is cast.

There is so much more that the Beeb should be doing here, properly digging into things, but no. Superficial coverage, lazy journalism and a propensity for saying nowt by way of correction (the "inform" bit of the charter) if folks get the wrong end of the stick.
Folks are getting the ‘end of the stick’ that they are supposed to get.

To be fair the BBC also does hatchet jobs on Labour but often as an afterthought and very rarely on the Remoaner crowd.

Amongst it all there was the joyous sight of LK on the 6 o'clock news having just suffered a deluge and having to deliver her conference propaganda dripping wet :D

Latest Threads