The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

I assume you mean Churchill, rather than Phillips. If so, then yes, but sardonically. Like Canute and the tide, his putative "up with which I will not put" ranks among the most widely misunderstood of anecdotes.
I meant both of them really, because neither would have ended a sentence with a preposition.

Or, in modern English: Both of them, cos a preposition isn't something that neither would of ended a sentence with.

I meant both of them really, because neither would have ended a sentence with a preposition.
You seem to be missing the point. Churchill railed against what might these days be called 'grammar Nazis' (not to mention the other sort), always stressing the need for simple, vigorous English uncluttered by imaginary 'rules' such as that prohibiting split infinitives. The "up with which" quotation (by no means confirmed as his, as @dogmeat points out) was allegedly a sarcastic response to some sub-editor, or similar, who objected to one of his written sentences ending with a preposition. As for Phillips, I have no idea if he was influenced by such tripe, but I think it exceedingly unlikely.

My wife watches Emmerdale and I have to say that it is totty-tastic. There is not a real village, anywhere in UK, that has such a density of bonkabe femininity. More bread! More Circuses!
More rip off merchants, more murderers, more philanderers, more crooks, more pub workers, more mechanics. Probably the only village in the UK bigger than London. :cool:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
That ratcliffe bloke whose wife antagonised the mullahs in iran (on a systematic basis) seems to have a direct line to the bbc. He must have mates in high media places to be interviewed on the marr programme on the flimsiest of grounds. With his friends in amnesty he demands government action. No doubt about it, he is in with the 'in' crowd.
Perhaps he's takin a leaf out of St Pen's book and ranting at Govt officials.

Perhaps he's takin a leaf out of St Pen's book and ranting at Govt officials.
I've often wondered how a non mp gets on the marr show to bang the drum for a pet cause. Knowing the right people seems to be route 1. Knowing the right people in amnesty international seems a sure bet to guarantee bbc coverage. Much as I believe that every mullah (shi'ite or sunni - I have no bias) should have his own steel container in the desert, the nazaneen-ratcliffe woman does not deserve the air time her case gets just because she is the darling of pushy left liberals

Last edited:
I've often wondered how a non mp gets on the marr show to bang the drum for a pet cause. Knowing the right people seems to be route 1. Knowing the right people in amnesty international seems a sure bet. Much as I believe That every mullah should have his own metal container in the desert, the nazareen -ratcliffe woman does not deserve the air time her case gets because of pushy left liberals
Has it occured to anyone that she might actually be guilty? I know it's Iran, but that doesn't always mean it's a stitch up.

Gabion Groyne

War Hero
Not political bias but from an article on the BBC Scotland website.

"Police are appealing for help from anyone with information about the crash who has not yet spoke to them."

'Yous hink ahm dumb 'n 'at' journalism.

RHS Garden Show at Chelsea; Bible Society have a garden called 'Psalm 23' (The Lord is my Shepherd). Wifey has been deeply involved with this. We are intrigued see if it gets a stiff ignoring by mainstream BBC reporting on the garden show programmes.

RHS Garden Show at Chelsea; Bible Society have a garden called 'Psalm 23' (The Lord is my Shepherd). Wifey has been deeply involved with this. We are intrigued see if it gets a stiff ignoring by mainstream BBC reporting on the garden show programmes.
Is there a Garden of Allah? If so, the BBC will be all over it like Abbott on Corbyn.

True, but Corrie and Emmerdale are the panem et circences of the teeming, open-mouthed millions.
Those millions of course have to be entertained and fiction has served the progressives well in selling stories to people and making them challenge personal beliefs, despite those challenges being entirely fictional and as represented are entirely disproportionate in nature.

One story stands out massively i.e. the asian paedo gangs, who did so much to give the far right an easy target and so corrie turns out a story with an all white paedo gang abusing poor bethany.

In recent years, I think the agitprop has reached a wholly different level. The BBC drama department is entirely immoral in its view of morality and in particular Eastenders, like Holby City don't even bother to try and make its content reflective of the country.

P.S. I don't watch it and haven't done for a decade or more, but my wife does and I do receive a running commentary.

Latest Threads