The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I just wish they would get on with reporting the news, currently it is running like a combination of Politics Today and Newsnight where rather than reporting, they are discussing the news.
Which comes back to the various posts by various people regarding the conceit/efficacy of rolling news.

There is enough news to fill 24 hours. I doubt that there's a single news organisation in the world with enough budget and resource to cover it. Rolling news is repetitious.

On the other hand, news analysis is valid. Hey, you could argue that a lot of that goes on on here - trying to make sense of what's going on - is news analysis. We don't complain about the news being picked apart here. Often it needs to be, for several reasons, including that coverage is incomplete or it is partial.

I think that perhaps some people have some unrealistic expectations of GB News.

Expecting constant news, other than news at the top of the hour, isn't what I expect of, say, the BBC or Sky. Why, then, should I expect it of GB News?

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Which comes back to the various posts by various people regarding the conceit/efficacy of rolling news.

There is enough news to fill 24 hours. I doubt that there's a single news organisation in the world with enough budget and resource to cover it. Rolling news is repetitious.

On the other hand, news analysis is valid. Hey, you could argue that a lot of that goes on on here - trying to make sense of what's going on - is news analysis. We don't complain about the news being picked apart here. Often it needs to be, for several reasons, including that coverage is incomplete or it is partial.

I think that perhaps some people have some unrealistic expectations of GB News.

Expecting constant news, other than news at the top of the hour, isn't what I expect of, say, the BBC or Sky. Why, then, should I expect it of GB News?
A bulletin for 5 minutes every hour would be useful though.

I think the Welsh bloke with the double barreled name was there Thomas Symonds or Symonds Thomas
The two Irish lovers
Patrick Fitzsimon and Simon Fitzpatrick

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT

To be honest, I preferred it when it was just the lunch time news, news at 6, the News at Ten (ITV) or 9 o'clock News (BBC).

Life was so much simpler before the 24 hour ticker-tapes of doom, all trying to outdo each other to be the first to report.

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
And a slightly deeper synopsis early morning, midday, early and late evening.
To be honest, I preferred it when it was just the lunch time news, news at 6, the Ln News at Ten (ITV) or 9 o'clock News (BBC).

Life was so much simpler before the 24 hour ticker-tapes of doom, all trying to outdo each other to be the first to report.
Yes, yes and yes.

Today a memorial to police killed in the line of duty was unveiled at the National Arboreatum in Staffs. The bbc covered some of the ceremony but did anyone notice how the news presenter talked over Katherine Jenkins singing 'I vow to thee my Country' ? Then coverage ended brutally to switch to the story that some British horse rider had won a bronze medal at the Olympics.
I was disgusted but in no sense surprised.
How long before the memorial is desecrated and it's removal demanded by BLM and it's Marxist supporters?

Pinched this from Biased BBC...

"It’s quiz time at biased BBC....
On Toady (Today, Radio 4) and then BBC tv there is huge coverage of Kye White winning an Olympic medal in BMX biking. Well done him.
Also mentioned to a much lesser extent is that Bethany Shriever also won an Olympic Medal in BMX biking.

Questions.
1. One person won a gold medal, one a silver. Given the amount of coverage for each person, who won which?
2. One person is white, one person in BAME. Given the amount of coverage for each person, which is which?
3. Explain your answers."

Answers are available here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/58022309

On Toady (Today, Radio 4) and then BBC tv there is huge coverage of Kye White winning an Olympic medal in BMX biking. Well done him.
Also mentioned to a much lesser extent is that Bethany Shriever also won an Olympic Medal in BMX biking.

Questions.
1. One person won a gold medal, one a silver. Given the amount of coverage for each person, who won which?
2. One person is white, one person in BAME. Given the amount of coverage for each person, which is which?

Anyone with no knowledge of geography or a visitor from another planet turning to BBC TV or ITV ad's would think UK was positioned somewhere in Africa between Republic of South Africe and Zimbabwe?

"After six months and three stages of the complaints process, having twice denied the complaint, the BBC admitted the problem and excised huge chunks of the online article, though perhaps too late for anyone to see it."

Normal service has been resumed.

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
After spending all afternoon simmering, my better half has exploded and written a complaint to the BBC about the agressive harassment of the interview with the British 100m finalist disqualified for a false start.
(Naturally I agree with her)After all the pious hypocrisy about athletes mental well-being from the Beeb the interview with a clearly distressed young man was appalling to watch.

NSP

LE
Unless you meet someone who "gets in their car at night while drunk, then drives off at great speed, neglecting to put on any lights, without a seatbelt and on the wrong side of the road"
I often do that when I'm driving and we've taken herself's car as it's an early noughties donk and mine is much, much more recent. Unlike hers mine has automatic headlights...

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Listening to R4 in the car this afternoon. There was a discussion about climate change. Allegra Stratton (lately BoJo’s spokeswoman, now COP21 mouthpiece) was being given a hard time about the Government’s climate policy.

They played a s vox pop with peasantry basically saying they don’t trust the messages about climate change.

Cue a series of whinges from the BBC presenter complaining that people don’t trust the government.

No hint of understanding that you can’t seek to destroy every message the government has and then be surprised that people have trust issues.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Questions.

I don’t agree with you. I think the coverage was balanced.

What I am surprised about is the complete lack of coverage of Karriss Artingstall’s Bronze.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I don’t agree with you. I think the coverage was balanced.

What I am surprised about is the complete lack of coverage of Karriss Artingstall’s Bronze.
I watched Kariss's fight to get the bronze, i.e. the semi final. There is no fight for bronze place, the losers in the semis both get bronze without having contest for it. The winners of the semis go on to fight for silver/gold.

Therefore, the BBC did show Kariss getting the bronze.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I watched Kariss's fight to get the bronze, i.e. the semi final. There is no fight for bronze place, the losers in the semis both get bronze without having contest for it. The winners of the semis go on to fight for silver/gold.

Therefore, the BBC did show Kariss getting the bronze.
Yes, I understand that. It may be that I’ve just missed it but it hardly seems to have been mentioned in any of the round ups or reviews.

The BBC has declared a state of mourning at the corporation when it's hero heroine transgender weightlifter, Laurel Hubbard failed to 'record a successful snatch'.

1627906465170.png

The corporation has said it wished to be left alone and would appreciate some privacy at this tragic time.

:strong:

The BBC has declared a state of mourning at the corporation when it's hero heroine transgender weightlifter, Laurel Hubbard failed to 'record a successful snatch'.

View attachment 593346

The corporation has said it wished to be left alone and would appreciate some privacy at this tragic time.

:strong:
Very carefully chosen words. Well done The Sun.

Latest Threads