The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

Today's Marr show has 2 journos doing the paper review.

Adam Fleming (reasonable but one of the 'neutral' BBC, and Pippa Creer (political editrix Daily Mirror)

A fine display of balance

I’m not sure what I make of this.
Some of you might be aware of Alex belfield. He does daily YouTube videos calling out corruption, BBC money wasting & other assorted oxygen thieves. He’s got a long running battle going with Jeremy Vine but this is a whole different level.

According to Belfield, Vine has just had him arrested for stalking. Vine is also suing Belfield for £80k in a defamation claim regarding an accusation of Vine trousering £1k collected for a BBC colleague .

Can't comment on the case, but Belfield rings all the alarm bells for a nutter. He can't seem to assemble a cogent argument without meandering off topic - and he refers to himself unironically as the Voice Of Reason.

According to Belfield, Vine has just had him arrested for stalking. Vine is also suing Belfield for £80k in a defamation claim regarding an accusation of Vine trousering £1k collected for a BBC colleague .

Can't comment on the case, but Belfield rings all the alarm bells for a nutter. He can't seem to assemble a cogent argument without meandering off topic - and he refers to himself unironically as the Voice Of Reason.

Agreed, watched a little bit of him here and there, when someone has sent me a clip – don’t find him impressive.

His stuff pops up on my YouTube feed thing.
I used to dip in if the title caught my attention, but I haven’t watched any for months.
As MrMemory said, he comes across as borderline unstable.
Although some of his earlier stuff about police harassment, confiscation of personal computers and video equipment, threats of imprisonment, multiple arrests, and particular unwarranted attention from a particular police woman (all apparently verifiable by his solicitor) made for some grim reading.
There was also a point where he thought he was going to be "silenced" and wanted everyone to share his Youtube feed so people would question any suspicious accidents that may have finished him off.
Maybe this has made him more than a little unstable?

Although some of his earlier stuff about police harassment, confiscation of personal computers and video equipment, threats of imprisonment, multiple arrests, and particular unwarranted attention from a particular police woman (all apparently verifiable by his solicitor) made for some grim reading.
There was also a point where he thought he was going to be "silenced" and wanted everyone to share his Youtube feed so people would question any suspicious accidents that may have finished him off.
Maybe this has made him more than a little unstable?

Perhaps.
I can’t help thinking that there’s sometimes more to things he says than meets the eye.
Is he paranoid?
Maybe I’m cynical in believing state silencing only happens in Russia etc & couldn’t possibly go on here in the UK?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Perhaps.
I can’t help thinking that there’s sometimes more to things he says than meets the eye.
Is he paranoid?
Maybe I’m cynical in believing state silencing only happens in Russia etc & couldn’t possibly go on here in the UK?
You’ve got to find people who are willing to do it and keep quiet about it. That’s almost impossible in a liberal democracy. There would be whistleblowers a plenty.

Perhaps.
Is he paranoid?
Belfield will have to put up or shut up soon now that he has been Summoned to court.
As he says, he has been waiting for his day in court, will be interesting to see what happens on the day.

Belfield will have to put up or shut up soon now that he has been Summoned to court.
As he says, he has been waiting for his day in court, will be interesting to see what happens on the day.
Must admit never seen many who shout loudly they want their day in court and all the conspiracies will be revealed come out of their day in court vindicated, as you say will possibly be interesting if not a little strange.

This message was brought to you by
1624201579899.jpeg

Be interesting to see if the BBC report the court case depending on the outcome. If it goes in Belfield's favour, there'll be nary a mention; if it goes against him, it will be the top item on the news.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
I see the BBC are being their usual ignorant, arrogant, metropolitan-centric selves again with their latest job advert on their Newsbeat Twitter feed...

Although it's being branded as a trainee role for young ethnic / Black / Asian applicants for representation purposes and totally legal, it's been covered by the Telegraph, Daily Mail, Express etc as "banning white people".

Oddly I have no issue with this. After all, if you needed a black actor to play a black role, or you needed someone born and bred in Liverpool to interview over a Merseyside Football rivalry documentary etc, you'd advertise accordingly. Perhaps this is why the Telegraph have since removed the story?

My problem with it though, is that the BBC are well aware their audience are cancelling their licence fees in their droves, because they seem to have no desire to cater for their audience beyond the metropolitan elite boundaries of Greater London... So why antagonise?

They could have simply advertised the role open to anyone, and picked someone black or ethnic.

But it's like they detest the 84% of their British audience and want them to know about it at every opportunity. "We get paid no matter how much you hate us so there!"

Pathetic.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
My problem with it though, is that the BBC are well aware their audience are cancelling their licence fees in their droves, because they seem to have no desire to cater for their audience beyond the metropolitan elite boundaries of Greater London... So why antagonise?
Confirmation bias. If the majority disapproves, it just proves its prejudices.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
These things are often a fine balance. I don’t think anyone should advertise exclusively for a candidate with any particular characteristic unless that characteristic is necessary or at least extremely helpful for the job.

It would be reasonable for Woman’s Hour to recruit female staff.

I think it’s also reasonable to say that applications from people with underrepresented characteristics are welcome. There is often a perception in some communities that certain jobs are not for them. It’s why we fly Pride Flags in MoD building and allow SP to take part in Pride parades.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
These things are often a fine balance. I don’t think anyone should advertise exclusively for a candidate with any particular characteristic unless that characteristic is necessary or at least extremely helpful for the job.

I think it’s also reasonable to say that applications from people with underrepresented characteristics are welcome. There is often a perception in some communities that certain jobs are not for them. It’s why we fly Pride Flags in MoD building and allow SP to take part in Pride parades.
Facilitate their application(s) by all means. Don't make them exclusive, though.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

Trans hater. How dare you suggest that real women might be useful on Woman's Hour????

;-)

Latest Threads