Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

I can't see any privatisation working,
It should’t be privatised as an entity. It should simply be broken up into it component parts with each part sold to the highest bidder or better yet, it should simply be allowed to go the way of other failed behemoths that were unable to support themselves.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I can't see any privatisation working, because its creative content has been on a steep decline for years and its largely now fixed on social justice, to the exclusion of the truth. Ten years ago, it was still producing occassional classics and may well have been able to survive, but its probably missed the bus and its extensive back catalogue of shows have already been flogged to death and a declining value in my view.
I don't disagree, but that is partly why I contend that the thinking is a merger of the BBC and commercial v Sky. When I say merger, it will be a takeover by the BBC.

They will sell/hive off the bits they don't want and charge the government through the nose for the bits they want to retain.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
It should’t be privatised as an entity. It should simply be broken up into it component parts with each part sold to the highest bidder or better yet, it should simply be allowed to go the way of other failed behemoths that were unable to support themselves.
Then it will disappear.

One of the things that would sustain the BBC is critical mass. It would be very difficult for some of what it does to be done by several piecemeal organisations working alone.

And that was when it was back producing quality; the agenda-driven rubbish it is producing now wouldn't generate the audiences and therefore the revenues in a fully commercial context.

The BBC is very good at reminding us that it is its unique method of funding that allows it to do what it does. In that, it is absolutely right. Along the way, though, it has lost sight of what it is supposed to be doing.

Then it will disappear.
Personally, I have no problem with or reservations about that outcome. It is now beyond redemption. Too big to change, Too 'Guardianista' to want to change.

With a voluntary subscription model it will fail. With a fully commercial model it would dilute the revenues of all broadcasters and it will still fail but may drag other broadcasters into the abyss with it. The best thing would be to starve the whole rotten to the core anachronism to death.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Then it will disappear.

One of the things that would sustain the BBC is critical mass. It would be very difficult for some of what it does to be done by several piecemeal organisations working alone.

And that was when it was back producing quality; the agenda-driven rubbish it is producing now wouldn't generate the audiences and therefore the revenues in a fully commercial context.

The BBC is very good at reminding us that it is its unique method of funding that allows it to do what it does. In that, it is absolutely right. Along the way, though, it has lost sight of what it is supposed to be doing.
See bold, ITV isn't too far behind with Unsaid Stories - Unsaid Stories (TV Mini-Series 2020) - IMDb

I don't disagree, but that is partly why I contend that the thinking is a merger of the BBC and commercial v Sky. When I say merger, it will be a takeover by the BBC.

They will sell/hive off the bits they don't want and charge the government through the nose for the bits they want to retain.
A merger of all the old stations: BBC, Channel Four and ITV, makes enormous sense. But one could argue, the takeover should be the other way around and its driven by ITV.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Personally, I have no problem with or reservations about that outcome. It is now beyond redemption. Too big to change, Too 'Guardianista' to want to change.

With a voluntary subscription model it will fail. With a fully commercial model it would dilute the revenues of all broadcasters and it will still fail but may drag other broadcasters into the abyss with it. The best thing would be to starve the whole rotten to the core anachronism to death.
Or, and here's a thing: quality not quantity could win out.

(No, I'm not hopeful either.)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Or, and here's a thing: quality not quantity could win out.

(No, I'm not hopeful either.)
At the present in HQ BBC, Quality = BLM or LBGTXYZ only (or better still both).

NSP

LE
At the present in HQ BBC, Quality = BLM or LBGTXYZ only (or better still both).
A choice between Burning, Looting and Murdering or a spill in the Alphabetispaghetti factory is it? No wonder I don't watch TV anymore!!

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Today is full of tearful tales of little Timmy not sweeping the board with As and Jocasta feeling penalised by the Govt using a mock exam against her. Not one person in the country appears to have said I did a lot better thanks to not taking the exam, cheers easy.

Today is full of tearful tales of little Timmy not sweeping the board with As and Jocasta feeling penalised by the Govt using a mock exam against her. Not one person in the country appears to have said I did a lot better thanks to not taking the exam, cheers easy.
They can't as they've been in the pub since 11am and are now so pissed they can't stand.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
A special shout out goes to these poor victims. it must have been like literally like taking an exam in Nazi Germany!

So grown up hope to be barristers could not cope with a 2 hour 45 minute exam? How the f would they cope with the standard 3 hour exam? Did mummy never tell them to go before the exam? They'll go down well in court (mm wigs and gowns) asking for an adjournment s they can have a pee!!! for F sake!

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
So grown up hope to be barristers could not cope with a 2 hour 45 minute exam? How the f would they cope with the standard 3 hour exam? Did mummy never tell them to go before the exam? They'll go down well in court (mm wigs and gowns) asking for an adjournment s they can have a pee!!! for F sake!
Having been told go to the toilet as close to the start as you can.

Latest Threads