Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

Just watching the 6pm news. There's a feature about failures to supply PPE for Covid. Up pops Jolyon Maugham - of anti-Brexit and fox-bludgeoning fame - to criticise HMG. Key question: why him?
He was shown as '"Jolyon Maugham, Director, The Good Law Project', not as Jolyon Maugham, he hates the government'
Why was he interviewed about this matter?!

I saw it, and thought exactly the same thing!

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
If it hadn't been mentioned already Emmy many words did an hour long interview with T Blair yesterday (I was waiting for the cricket scores) in which he said that the lockdown was a waste of time and the economy was more important. I suspect some of his investments may be suffering. The bbc had people emailing in sugesting he should be back in gvmt.
I presume these people are not stupid, just evil.

Are you saying he is wrong?

NSP

LE
With Jolyon's track record I don't think the government will lose any sleep over this.
Haven't the RSPCA had him done for cruelly bludgeoning one of God's furry creatures to death yet...?

What is amusing is the BBC at no point, really makes any effort to sell itself as a content producer for a disaffected demographic, or those who object to the BBC political tone and resent subsidising an propaganda arm of the progressive liberal movement. If you persist in whinging, then the clueless suggest you remove the telly all together. Which is the equivelent of bricking up your windows to dodge a tax, but plunging your house into darkness as a result.

I certainly get the theory, that the government has set the BBC up and that nothing can be done until the bbc charter is up for renewal, but why ? the government we elected, are averse to conflict and its the people who forced through brexit and likely the people who will force through the bbcs demise. But once in awhile it would be nice to see our leaders actually been on point.
The clueless think removing the telly altogether is how you stop watching live broadcasts. I don't have a TV, through choice.

This government averse to conflict? You certainly haven't been watching the news have you?

They are the inevitable result of a nation wide process. Even if it was 99.99% fair that still leaves hundreds of students who will have been adjusted incorrectly, many of whom will have been awarded better grades than they should have got given that the pass rate across all qualifications is higher than previous years. The SQA seem to have erred on the side of caution in terms of the overall grades awarded which is more generous than what I expected to happen in England.

As I understand things the grades were not adjusted on an individual student by student basis but by national rankings and then further to take into account the school's previous results. The alternative would just be to accept whatever teachers said students would get, leading to a massively higher pass rate than normal and devaluing those grades, or go through every single student comparing evidence for every subject they took which would be unworkable in the time frame.

That's why there is an appeals process and, at least in England, the opportunity to sit an exam instead of accepting the recommended grade. What's happened is someone has got a set of results they don't think are fair (and they almost certainly aren't in those two cases) but rather than appeal the results, write to the university asking them to reconsider giving the evidence etc. have gone whining to the media. Like I said, I can't see the outrage.
Fully aware what's happened, it's those from disadvantaged backgrounds who who are suffering because of it. Which was the point in the first place.

You reckon the guy with a C in art is a C?

Not really. I would presume the BBC would like it's reporters in NZ to be allowed to attend courts and report on them. Abising by court orders is probably a good way to ensure this.
It's not as if the BBC has something called a World Se.......................

Loving the Hypocrisy on display on BBC News this morning. The Chancellor gets a kicking for not disclosing how he is going to protect all those jobs which will be lost at the end of furlough. In other News, a BBC reporter on a boat in the English Channel, following an inflatable full of illegal immigrants (Iraqis according to him) heading for the White Cliffs of Dover. A perfect day for it and the benign weather is encouraging 'record numbers' across the Channel. At one stage he shouts across to them "Are you all OK"? and reminds us in hushed tones that there are at least two pregnant women and a child on board (a mandatory requirement to ensure maximum sympathy, like the rest of the boat load of young lads gives a flying fcuk!).
So, let's get this straight. Many jobs lost due to Covid - bad; more people entering the country illegally - good. Jeez. :sad:

The clueless think removing the telly altogether is how you stop watching live broadcasts. I don't have a TV, through choice.

This government averse to conflict? You certainly haven't been watching the news have you?
So those who do choose to have a TV are contemptible and fools to pay the licence fee ?

You claim to be a logical person and choose to come onto a thread which covers the BBC bias and resentment that licence fee payers have towards the institution. But don't have a TV yourself. In truth, you come on here to bait people and that is all.

Fully aware what's happened, it's those from disadvantaged backgrounds who who are suffering because of it. Which was the point in the first place.
No, the point is that when you do something like this across a massive group of people there will inevitably be some who benefit and some who lose out. A couple of those who have lost out probably would have done better in exams. They could either a) go via the appeals process, submitting evidence to back up their assertion they would have done better and ask for a regrading or b) whine in the media.

You reckon the guy with a C in art is a C?
Ortholith said:
What's happened is someone has got a set of results they don't think are fair (and they almost certainly aren't in those two cases)
Almost certainly not. He might have been on exam day, who knows? If he thinks that grade is unfair then he should appeal, not try and do sarcasm on twitter.

What system do you think should have been used to award those grades instead that would avoid all of these issues?

Give them all As - everyones a winner!
Well, the pass mark for all Scottish school exams has increased compared to previous years so they started doing that, then realised they couldn't take the piss too much.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Give them all As - everyones a winner!

An improvement would be to give them all an F for every subject. The ones who deserve improved marks are the ones whose writing can be read.

Latest Threads