Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The BBC: are claims of political bias justified? Part 2.

James Purnell, head of radio and education, said the BBC had created such excellent online content for schoolchildren during the Covid-19 crisis that it had changed the game.
News to me. The Bitesize quizzes have always been useful but I must have missed the sudden increase in valuable content over the last 5 months. (Not aimed at you but I can't read the bloody Telegraph article.)

Profoundly...
Perhaps the permanently offended could give daily updates-say by 0700 hrs and broadcast nationally-as to how they'd prefer to be referred to for the next 24 hours.

In the meantime, any chance of their younger offspring refraining from bandying the ginger anagram about?

BBC is RACIST.........

About 20.45 on BBC news channel, a typical, sneeringly condacending report on BAME NHS Drs. In Hull being mistaken for Foreigners etc.

Interviewing Junior Medics mistaken for cleaners etc......
Six of em interviewed all telling their stories, so far so good...

I'm watching at Th'owd folks' house, so they've got Subtitles running...
First Dr. a young lady named Valerie...
Yup, no problems on that score..

Next was , I'm guessing a Sri Lankan chap,
followed by an Indian....
You'd do ok at Scrabble with their names iykwim...

The subtitles froze then disappeared...
It didn't reappear even for the Prof. (White English Lady) who told us how awful we all are, for not being inclusive enough.....(could've just been Hull, she'd probably have a point)

Maybe the Beeb's subtitle AI coding was written in Hull also, eh?
Will Emily have a rant about it?
Will the NewsTeam 'take a knee'?

Doctor:

Just some bloke:

Start with getting the basics right and you won't need to cry about being mistaken for a cleaner.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
As has most of UK, I have up to this point given Britbox a damn good ignoring. However a couple of things about the Britbox scheme have occurred to me:

1) How is it funded? I assume it's supposed to make a profit and fund itself, but there must be some seed investment from BBC & ITV to get it going. In which case, License fees are being used to set up a pay per view channel, so if you pay for a license and then pay for Britbox, you have effectively been double charged.

2) A large proportion of the Britbox output is old BBC shows which were funded by license payments. Is this BBC investment compensated, and if so can we expect a rebate on the license fee (no laughing at the back)?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
As has most of UK, I have up to this point given Britbox a damn good ignoring. However a couple of things about the Britbox scheme have occurred to me:

1) How is it funded? I assume it's supposed to make a profit and fund itself, but there must be some seed investment from BBC & ITV to get it going. In which case, License fees are being used to set up a pay per view channel, so if you pay for a license and then pay for Britbox, you have effectively been double charged.

2) A large proportion of the Britbox output is old BBC shows which were funded by license payments. Is this BBC investment compensated, and if so can we expect a rebate on the license fee (no laughing at the back)?
Brit box is joint owned by ITV and BBC

Like Dave/Gold it is a method for the BBC to show their programmes and to have advertising. Because of the terms of the BBC Charter it only owns 10% of the UK Company whereas in USA/Canada they own 50%. Personally I think that this and other channels fly in the face of the BBC Charter. IMHO the BBC should be set free from the Charter and forced to survive in the commercial world.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Brit box is joint owned by ITV and BBC

Like Dave/Gold it is a method for the BBC to show their programmes and to have advertising. Because of the terms of the BBC Charter it only owns 10% of the UK Company whereas in USA/Canada they own 50%. Personally I think that this and other channels fly in the face of the BBC Charter. IMHO the BBC should be set free from the Charter and forced to survive in the commercial world.
Thanks, most informative! I agree that this appears to be against the spirit if not the law of the BBC charter.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Didn't notice any BBC coverage of this, either.

These men car-jacked, then raped Christopher Newsom, cut off his penis, then set him on fire and fatally shot him several times while they forced his girlfriend, Channon Christian, to watch. An even more cruel fate awaited her! Channon Christian, was beaten and gang-raped in many ways for four days by all of them, while they took turns urinating on her. Then they cut off her breast and put chemicals in her mouth … and then murdered her. Why didn’t this received National coverage by the news media like the George Floyd case? Oh, that’s right – the victims were white and the five perps, one female, were not.
FB_IMG_1596623128606.jpg

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

These men car-jacked, then raped Christopher Newsom, cut off his penis, then set him on fire and fatally shot him several times while they forced his girlfriend, Channon Christian, to watch. An even more cruel fate awaited her! Channon Christian, was beaten and gang-raped in many ways for four days by all of them, while they took turns urinating on her. Then they cut off her breast and put chemicals in her mouth … and then murdered her. Why didn’t this received National coverage by the news media like the George Floyd case? Oh, that’s right – the victims were white and the five perps, one female, were not.View attachment 494664
This would be horrific regardless of the ethnicity of victims or perpetrators, but it would be headline news if the roles were reversed, and not just on the BBC.

Profoundly...
They know damn well that the N-word is a very emotive slur that will get people champing at the bit.

In the case of an alleged racist attack by whitey they'll put that word out there to stir up enough shite with the enraged BAME community, thus "confirming" how institutionally, stamped on your DNA, racist you are if you're white.

They know damn well that the N-word is a very emotive slur that will get people champing at the bit.

In the case of an alleged racist attack by whitey they'll put that word out there to stir up enough shite with the enraged BAME community, thus "confirming" how institutionally, stamped on your DNA, racist you are if you're white.

At the same time if they didnt report the actual word used - then the same people who are currently outraged over them saying it would instead be outraged and insisting that using terms such as offensive language and slur - they are down playing the nature of the attack so as to reduce its seriousness - because they are institutionally racist etc

That would include white kids from the lower classes, then - currently the poorest performers.

Good on her, I say.

(Even if it's probably not the demographic she was alluding to...)
It is the demographics they're alluding to. White males from underprivileged areas are seen as poorest performers iirc but poor areas in general.

Minister denies deprived pupils were penalised

It's because they're biased of course....

It is the demographics they're alluding to. White males from underprivileged areas are seen as poorest performers iirc but poor areas in general.

Minister denies deprived pupils were penalised

It's because they're biased of course....
I'm not seeing the outrage. Assuming the BBC have got their numbers correct then the pass rate this year has increased at all levels of Scottish exams:

Any students who feel they have been given unfair grades should be offered the chance to sit an exam and use that result instead (that's the version in England anyway). The article also clearly states that there is an appeals process.

Edit - does this mean Scottish pupils were told the grades that were estimated by their teachers? Seems a pretty stupid thing to do.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter who's side the BBC takes. In football terms we hear that the manager "has lost the dressing room".

The BBC has lost it's audience, the trust has gone.

Another aspect of this change is in content.
I can fondly remember three generations of family, sat down together and all roaring with laughter at eg. Dads Army, Some Mothers Do av ' Em, 'Allo ! Allo !

Now, and for a considerable time, there has been little for even a single generation to laugh at.

Everything the Lefties touch eventually turns to dust.

These men car-jacked, then raped Christopher Newsom, cut off his penis, then set him on fire and fatally shot him several times while they forced his girlfriend, Channon Christian, to watch. An even more cruel fate awaited her! Channon Christian, was beaten and gang-raped in many ways for four days by all of them, while they took turns urinating on her. Then they cut off her breast and put chemicals in her mouth … and then murdered her. Why didn’t this received National coverage by the news media like the George Floyd case? Oh, that’s right – the victims were white and the five perps, one female, were not.View attachment 494664

You do know this was back in 2007 ?

Just had a look at this one...
  • Lemaricus Davidson was handed four death sentences (lethal injection) for his part.
  • Letalvis Cobbins and George Thomas were sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
  • Vanessa Coleman has been convicted of facilitating the crimes and sentenced to 53 years in prison.
  • Eric Dewayne Boyd was convicted of federal charges as accessory after the fact to carjacking and sentenced to 18 years in prison.
There was suggestions of racism over the reportage of the trials.

Factoid: Davidson was the 90th person sent to Tennessee's death row, but he's only the second to be put there with four death sentences.

I'm not seeing the outrage. Assuming the BBC have got their numbers correct then the pass rate this year has increased at all levels of Scottish exams:

Any students who feel they have been given unfair grades should be offered the chance to sit an exam and use that result instead (that's the version in England anyway). The article also clearly states that there is an appeals process.

Edit - does this mean Scottish pupils were told the grades that were estimated by their teachers? Seems a pretty stupid thing to do.
The results aren't broken down to areas there are they? Yon lassie getting awarded 2 As and 3 Bs after getting 5 As in her prelims is right to be aggrieved - not sure of the art grading but this guy's work doesn't look C grade to me...

Scots school leaver 'thanks' SQA for C in Art as he shares incredible sketches

It's a notorious case, though, and still the subject of much discussion across the pond. I was working in Atlanta when it happened. As I recall, the details were even worse (if that's possible) than those on RafBrat's post.

Latest Threads